The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Moving away from computer based production, what to buy?
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Moving away from computer based production, what to buy?

I'm working my ass off doing 80+hours a week in a kitchen to afford a decent hardware setup, I've got all of my synths/drum machines/instruments bought and on lock down - song are made, now I just need to buy the equipment to record it all in to my PC (which I'm still building...).

Basically for an interface I've got a good deal on the focusrite saffire pro 40, but I can't figure out what mixer to go for. I've been looking for a used Mackie VLZ, i probably have around £400 to spend on a mixing desk. 8 outputs is paramount, and +10 inputs is pretty needed. I make Lofi Triphop so sample from anything from VCR to vinyl to me tapping my desk. I'd love to do some mastering and use outboard compressors, i think the focusrite will enable me to do this while having at least 3 instruments going on at the same time - I do all of my recording and creating mid jam with loopers and loads of mad t.

Any advice on what to buy would be awesome yo!
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

For around $1000 (US) you can get a Soundcraft GB2R12, that's about the closest thing in your price range. There are low quality brand units out there that may do the job, just not very well and I've heard bad things about the lower priced mixers and there USB sends.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

A used Allen & Heath MixWizard. It has great soudning pre-amps and EQ's, 6 AUX sends and good hardware quality.

Allen & Heath WZ3 16 2 MixWizard (16 mic/line inputs with balanced XLR/TRS jack, and direct output)
MixWizard3 16:2 | ALLEN & HEATH // WORLD CLASS MIXING

Allen & Heath WZ3 14:4:2 MixWizard (10 mic/line inputs, 2 dual stereo inputs, 4 sub groups)
MixWizard3 14:4:2 | ALLEN & HEATH // WORLD CLASS MIXING

Regards
Demokid
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Here is a pretty pretty cool stereo bus compressor makes it possible to do parallel compression in a box.
TK Audio - BC1-S Stereo Bus Compressor
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

awesome guys, thanks. do y'all not think an old mackie such as the 1604 would be a good starting point - or should I just save more of one of the around $1000 mixers?
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by olihudson View Post
awesome guys, thanks. do y'all not think an old mackie such as the 1604 would be a good starting point - or should I just save more of one of the around $1000 mixers?
Which 1604? The original I like, limited as it may be. Never warmed-up to the 1604 VLZ though. (But I like the 8-bus which I think is VLZ--go figure.)

best,

john
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I have the new Mackie VLZ4 mixer with Onyx preamps. Let me tell you, for 99 bucks this two channel mixer holds it's own against my more expensive Grace 101 and FMR RNP. I think it's one of the best bang for the buck preamp/mixers out there right now.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I never like the sound of Mackie mixer's, the Onyx line was only a slight improvement. I do admit they are very reliable, but so is a Peavey.
Old 18th October 2013
Here for the gear

guys, I have completely confused myself and am doubting that what I want to do is possible. Here's my attempt to explain my vision,

I jam on my drum machine + synth, and want to use aux sends for effects which really change the instruments - i.e. huge delays, bass stomp box on the drum machine, I understand I should record in dry and then add effects, but i'm very good at playing all of this stuff live - and incorporate everything into a live show. So i'll need to record all the EQs/effects post fader into my DAW. I also need to be able to run 2 or more tracks from ableton through my mixer to use the external hardware effects with as well, then route it all back into ableton again to record with the added compression/reverb etc. i.e. bring in a drum sample i ripped of a record while I am jamming with my synth and changed the compression and eq as i play, this may all sound very strange

- all of this is done via my drum machine going through one mixer (it as 8 direct outs which i put onto an 8 track mixer and eq the hits and use aux sends for effects) which will then (i hope) go into another mixer, which is the one I wish to record separate tracks into my DAW via any means nessacary - I think i would use direct outs/inserts to do this? - they must be seperate tracks as I plan to use a midi controller to control more effects on Ableton such as looper for the synth, and a beat repeat for the drum machine. Would this method mean I only record in Mono? if so all of my time making analog stereo madness with delays will be wasted no?

Other times I am recording in vinyl to chop up and maybe some vocals and percussion recordings, these do not have to be mid jam - but I'd love to have a set up i dont have to keep swapping everything around like I have in the past.

if anyone replies to this I'll be incredibly grateful, I'm not much of a tech sort of guy and all this is very new to me.

the last problem I have is in what order, and in what sends/whatever to do I put my effects in?
here's what I have so far

Roland R8 - 8 channels, 2sends/2returns on one mixer -Lexicon alex reverb /secret bass box
"the mixer i haven't bought yet, as i dont know what I need" -
1 channel -novation k station,
2 channel - the mixer with the roland R8
other channels - mics/vinyl etc -

4 sends/returns needed- boss reverb/danelectro reel tape echo/compressor/a number of other effects i have my eyes on.

any ideas into how this setup will work? and what requirements my mixer and interface needs? I've been planning to do this on a budget by buying older used gear but i'm getting fed up of dead ends now and don't mind spending up to £2000 if needed, but the least is ideal.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search