The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
usb/firewire mixers help!!
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

usb/firewire mixers help!!

I'm trying to record into a win7 pc using an xlr mic, guitar, and a midi usb keyboard. I'm looking to get decent sound for as absolutely cheap as possible.

I was looking at a $60 behringer usb mixer but realized it only sent the audio to the pc as one track. I'm hoping to get at least 2 tracks (vocals and guitar) so that the vocals, guitar, and midi usb keyboard could all be manipulated separately on the pc after a "one-take" recording.

It would be nice if the artists could hear it all in headphones in real time as they're playing.

I'm hoping to spend $100 or less for the mixer. I can purchase whatever software I need later. If $100 is not possible then what is the lowest i could spend to get what I'm looking for?

Thanks!
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear
Look at one of the small focusrite scarlet USB interfaces. Second hand is probably easily in your price range

Beringer is the worst quality/worst sounding gear that money can buy, and a completely regrettable purchase
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Addict

Line 6 ux1.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Addict

Yup, I'm going to agree with Gonebytim. The Scarlett 2i2 is $150 new so you can probly find a cheaper one used, you can record the vocals and guitar through that and the usb keyboard goes straight in to the computer. The Scarlet has a direct monitoring switch so you can make a headphone mix with no latency.
Old 17th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSPDiva View Post
The Scarlet has a direct monitoring switch so you can make a headphone mix with no latency.
How can I monitor both inputs of the scarlet AND the usb keyboard at the same time with zero latency?
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by injo503 View Post
How can I monitor both inputs of the scarlet AND the usb keyboard at the same time with zero latency?
Your usb keyboard only transmitt midi data. If you are going to play a plugin instrument with it and record 2 channels at the same time. There will be some latency between the plugin instrument and your keyboard playing. But as long as you can reduce the total latency under 10 milli seconds. It won't be much off an issue.

I am not up to date with what's the best recording interface under 100$.
But i do have the ux1 I mentioned earlier in the tread. I use it for band practise.
Easy to set up on a laptop. And it has all the stuff you need to get started in the package. And it is realy low on latency. Higly recommended
Old 17th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by injo503 View Post
The Scarlett is your interface so if you're playing in the DAW with your keyboard, you're going to hear it come out of your main outs on the Scarlett, therefore sending it to your headphones. The latency will occur as Therion said, going in, no going out. There's always latency involved when you're doing MIDI, sometimes just more noticeable than other times. You might be better off not doing all 3 inputs at a time. Do one pass with the 2 ins from the scarlet and another take with the midi keyboard (or the other way around)
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear
The (cheaper) Alesis io2 Express interface would do the job too.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search