The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rap vocal mic in connection with Audiobox vsl22
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Rap vocal mic in connection with Audiobox vsl22

so I've already bought a audiobox vsl22 and a cascade micrphone m20u which I am happy with as an all around mic but I have been getting into rap vocals recently and I need a good mic for that, that would preferably plug into my vsl22. I need a new pair of headphones for recording vocals too because I hate having them 1/2 way on my ears with the metronome cranked and I do not want to spend more than $500 for the headphones+mic but I want the majority of the budget to go towards the mic. What recommendations do you guys have for a rap vocal mic and headphones?

Note My vsl22 does probably not have enough power to power a sm7b, I've heard stories of it not having enough power for it. So I think an sm7b is out of the question sadly.

Let me know what you guys suggest.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Addict

beyerdynamic dt770 headphones.

and an at2020. I have always loved that mic for rap vocals.
And it's not expensive either!
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

shouldn't the headphones be open?

Thanks
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Also do I need an amplifier with those headphones? I use reason 7.0 and sometimes ableton live with an audiobox vsl22. The thing I hate most about my current pair is not being able to hear myself when I sing or rap.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungames View Post
shouldn't the headphones be open?

Thanks
For tracking? Why?
I prefer closed headphones because they won't bleed that much into the mic during tracking.

And you won't need a headphone amp as your presonus has a built in headphone amp.
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chk23 View Post
For tracking? Why?
I prefer closed headphones because they won't bleed that much into the mic during tracking.

And you won't need a headphone amp as your presonus has a built in headphone amp.
idk I feel when you can't hear yourself sometimes you start to speak out your nose or speak muffled without realizing it. I think it is important to be able to hear yourself when you're recording.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
idk I feel when you can't hear yourself sometimes you start to speak out your nose or speak muffled without realizing it. I think it is important to be able to hear yourself when you're recording.
Yes off course it is, but for that you use a monitor Mix that includes the vocal track you are recording. So you hear yourself in the mix, through your headphones.
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Yes off course it is, but for that you use a monitor Mix that includes the vocal track you are recording. So you hear yourself in the mix, through your headphones.
I am not sure if I understand?
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Ok I found the monitor button but everything is being tripled, like I say a word and it sounds really overdubbed... if I switch my 22vsl to "input" then it fixes it but then I can no longer hear the instrumental. What do I do?
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

nvm im an idiot I should have RTFM.
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

man this doesn't feel natural at all... Is there a way to record so it feels more live? I mean its ok but there is still some tripling effect going on a bit, I have the input/vsl dialed to about 1/4... I'm trying to think of what to do...
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
man this doesn't feel natural at all... Is there a way to record so it feels more live? I mean its ok but there is still some tripling effect going on a bit, I have the input/vsl dialed to about 1/4... I'm trying to think of what to do...
Hard to say, without knowing all the details - it is perfecetly possible to configure your audio interface and your DAW software to a point where it sounds as natural as it should be - without any doubling effect or lagging/latency going on. But there's a lot of possible points of failure (driver/DAW/knobs on your interface), so first of all it's important to know what DAW you are using. Usually this is all dealed within the DAW/project settings while your audio interface/driver should be configured in a way that you don't hear yourself talking into the mic through your headphones when not running any kind of recording software.

In cubase, for example, you klick the monitor button (the little one with the speaker icon) on the channel you want to monitor during tracking...
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hard to say, without knowing all the details - it is perfecetly possible to configure your audio interface and your DAW software to a point where it sounds as natural as it should be - without any doubling effect or lagging/latency going on. But there's a lot of possible points of failure (driver/DAW/knobs on your interface), so first of all it's important to know what DAW you are using. Usually this is all dealed within the DAW/project settings while your audio interface/driver should be configured in a way that you don't hear yourself talking into the mic through your headphones when not running any kind of recording software.

In cubase, for example, you klick the monitor button (the little one with the speaker icon) on the channel you want to monitor during tracking...
Thanks right now I am using reason 7.0 and I have monitoring set to "manual" in the preferences. I get a doubling effect unless I turn the nob all the way to "input".
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks right now I am using reason 7.0 and I have monitoring set to "manual" in the preferences. I get a doubling effect unless I turn the nob all the way to "input".
I just tested in ableton and regardless of the daw I still get a doubling effect when the pre-sonus audiobox is set to VSL.

Here is a screenshot of what is actually happening when it goes into vsl mode - http://www.httpros.com/happening.png

basically you can see it has my voice being duplicated once for the left channel, once for the right channel. Muting both daw 1 and 2 fixed it though I admit vsl mode is a little bit quieter than input mode and idk why.

So now that is somewhat out of the way... Do you think this little presonus vsl22 has enough power to power a shure sm7b? I don't even really want to get spend any money until I get better at rapping but I have friends who sing and want me to record them so I am just kinda dreaming at the moment.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search