The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Good microphone for tascam four track?
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Good microphone for tascam four track?

Hello, I haven't seen this question exactly asked before among all the four track threads. I've recently acquired a new cassette Ministudio 03 and I want to know what microphones work well with them. I'll be recording folk music (fingerpicked parlor guitar, harmonica, breathy vocals) in the vein of the Kossoy Sisters and the Carter Family. Right now I'm looking at an EV 635a but I'd like to know what else is out there that works well for this style of music and/or machine. My budget is around 150. I intend to plug straight into the four track.

Here's a reasonable example
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear
Pretty sure you'll need a high impedance microphone if you're planning on going direct so your options are going to be kind of limited. I would get a small Mackie VL4 mixer to give you some routing options and a couple of preamps; then you can get whatever mic you want.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Nut

I recorded some drums last week using a Tascam 414 mkii and a vintage EV 635a. It was my first time using the EV and i was pretty surprised by how good it sounded. Before I purchased it I read alot of stuff about it being a "lo fi mic", but I thought it sounded pretty dang good. I only used it once so I can't comment on the lo-fi aspect of it, but its a solid mic, I've heard it being used on vocals before, if you do some searching on here for some EV 365 threads i'm sure you'll find some good info
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Was the EV loud enough plugged straight into the Tascam?
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear
Love the EV 635a. Great mono overhead mic, works on background vocals and as a guitar cab mic too; no proximity effect if that's what you're going for.

Drums would probably be ok but a quieter source might be noisy plugged directly in.
Old 16th October 2013
Deleted User
if your room is good the 635 will be fine.. but it is an omni.. and while it has a nice presence it is does not have what i would call and extended top end.

I recorded a lot of things with an RE20 into a tascam minidisk player with very good results.. needed a low/hi-Z adaptor as i remember it. SM57 worked ok as well but the RE20 gives you a lot more to work with when you mix
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

But I understand the 635a has more high end. I thought that would work to my advantage given the high end roll off that four tracks have. I'm open to more suggestions--for these types of recordings were dynamics or condensers usually used? What does it sound like in my video example? I understand it was recorded with amateur equipment in the mid 50s.
Old 17th October 2013
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by West S. View Post
But I understand the 635a has more high end. I thought that would work to my advantage given the high end roll off that four tracks have. I'm open to more suggestions--for these types of recordings were dynamics or condensers usually used? What does it sound like in my video example? I understand it was recorded with amateur equipment in the mid 50s.
sounds like a mic in a room.. but you can get a lot of room sound with a cardioid and you can control how much better.. an sm57 has about the same presence peak and roll off and by getting farther back from the talent you will get more room .. and you can control the ratio more easily

don't get me wrong. I like the 635.. I have a pair of them and use them vocals sometimes and both acoustic and electric..it may be JUST what you need .. just slinging a bit of info
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search