The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
t.bone SC 1100 vs rode NT1-A ?
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Head

t.bone SC 1100 vs rode NT1-A ?

Hello gearslutz.
I'm looking for a budget (under 200 euros) condenser for vocal recording (room/home). I'v checked my possibilities to minimize them to these two condenser: sc1100 and nt1-a.

Which one is better to go with? I'm also open to any other ideas (any other microphones or sugggestions).

Cheers.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Head

Any ideas?
As I said, I'm open to new ideas as well
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Does it have to be a condenser? Dynamics tend to work better in home recordings if you haven't got decent room treatment.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

hi, the tbone is in my opinion a better mic.
I have worked with both in the past when I first started out and always thought the tbone had a richer sound that worked well with what I was doing.

I eventually replaced it for an AT2020 though which I loved!
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head

I would consider SE X1 - because t-bone's have poor build quality and NT1-a has hyped highs I don't like.
Have you also looked at Audio Technica and AKG, maybe even Blue mics? I'm sure others have also some good suggestions.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head

@Electric Sugar I have an SM58, quite happy with it but it lacksdetail compared to condensed microphones out there I believe. I need something to get better detail, specifically for sound design and vocal needs. That's why I'm looking for a condenser

@Toni-P Maybe I should consider AT2020 or AT2035 then? What do you think about their comparison with the ones I currently listed?

@Seidy I never had the chance to try any of the mics I've counted or we're talking about. Unfortunately I'm currently stuck to online reviews and feedback of the users like you guys. I wouldn't also like the hyped highs, I think that would kill the high pitched female vocals as well as bassy male vocals.. I'm open to suggestions at this point - bassically I'm looking for a mic with as much natural tone as possible, I'll reshape it with eq's anyway.

Thank you all for the replies.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

Have not worked with the AT2035, so can't comment on that one, but the AT2020 made me get rid of the t-bone if that helps :-)
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head

@Toni-P definitely helps!
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Nut
The Se-X1 has some sibilance issues methinks. Try out the Rode M3 - a condenser, but not so sensitive as LDC's, and it sounds really nice on many different things...
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

I think I'll go with at2035 -
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by undream View Post
@Toni-P definitely helps!
good luck ;-)

I sent you a pm by the way!
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

If you're going to go the Rode route, I suggest finding a used NT2000 for around 200 bucks. Hands down, the NT2000 is in a whole other class over the NT1A. It has a different capsule and circuit from the harsher sounding NT1A. Love my NT2000. Hated the NT1A I had years ago.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search