The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mixing drums (kickdrum)
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Nut

Mixing drums (kickdrum)

Hi,

I was wondering how you guys go about making a kickdrum cut trough without making it too clicky.

I tend to reach for the 1k , 4k, 10k boost quite quickly because of my punk/metal background.

However: what are tips to make the kick cut through without getting a "metal" kick sound?
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

Turn the stuff around it down.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear
great drummer with a great right foot? but that never happens, I use a dbx 160 vu.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

After a good scoop in the 200-400 Hz area, I find that it's all about the right compression. Getting the attack and release right to shape the transient, while adding some grit that helps it stand out. And a gate out in front to reduce the swell of the tale after judicious compression.
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

A transient plug of sorts can sometimes be helpful. Like Sonnox Transmodulator, SPL Transient Designer or NI's Transient Master. Even better for snares though.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

duck the bass.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Use a maple kick drum.
Old 16th October 2013
Gax
Lives for gear

It all comes down from right choice of an instrument, room sound and good microphone setup. If the attack doesn't sound clear and responsive enough by itself to cut through dense mix then you should play with microphone positioning.

In the mix its just matter of finding right balance between "kick in" and "kick out" microphones. 160vu is great great compressor for drums and percussive stuff, it makes everything stand out in a nice and elegant way
Old 16th October 2013
Compress. Slow att, med to fast rel.

And/or drum samples.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search