The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Preamp/Compressor
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Head

Preamp/Compressor

Hello Gear Slutz partner I'm looking for a nice MIC PREAMP & COMPRESSOR That I can use for my setup. I am mainly planning to record Hip-Hop and R&B vocals. I am wondering if the.

1-API Lunchbox 500 Series
2-Avalon 737
3-Universal Audio LA-610

which would be better for my needs.
I currently have a Avid Mbox Pro planning to get the new Apollo universal audio What would you think would be better. GRACIAS
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Lunchbox's are cool.

I recently picked up a Daking Mic Pre One used for $500. I would definitely recommend it for mic preamplification.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Maniac

If your going the lunchbox route, check out the RND 500 series 517 Mic pre and compressor unit. They also have a stand alone 5015 and 5017, all of these are good if your into pres with transformers and the valuable silk control.
Old 14th October 2013
Here for the gear

Avalon would be an appropriate choice and clients will know what it is. There are so many options in 500 series it would be cheaper to get more flavors of preamp.

Sent from my SPH-L720
Old 14th October 2013
Lives for gear

UA 4-710d - - It has 4 channels of what you are looking for.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Addict

+1 on the 4-710D. That came to mind when I first read the post, but then I realized he probly doesn't need 4 channels. But all 3 are great options. I personally just made the jump to a lunchbox. Great for portability. We have a 512 in it right now, but looking for a great tracking compressor (probly looking at the Purple Audio Action compressor or a Little Devil comp) both are great.

The Avalon, yes, it's true, a lot of hip hop people are going to recognize it, but I'm personally not a fan of the sound overall.

And lastly, the LA-610. probly the BEST option for you. The 4-710D is more like an 1176 compressor, but this is an LA2A and a mic pre in one without the other 3 channels. Probly the best value and cheaper than getting a lunchbox and the units to go in it.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Head

Thank you all I decided get the lunchbox. As SMOKINMOK said i can get more flavors of preamp.

These are in my budget.

API lunchbox

Preamp:

API 512c
RND 511
Great River MP-500nv
Darking

Compressor:

RND 543
Litter Devil
Purple audio action fet
Neve 2264 alb
Crane falcon

which is a good convination for my needs?
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear

Great River MP500 NV into a Pete's Place BAC 500...winning combination. Throw in a Great River EQ32 and you'll have a nice channel strip. Also, the new Great River compressor looks promising. I haven't heard it action yet though.
Old 16th October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFMG View Post
Great River MP500 NV into a Pete's Place BAC 500...winning combination. Throw in a Great River EQ32 and you'll have a nice channel strip. Also, the new Great River compressor looks promising. I haven't heard it action yet though.
This is nice, thank you for you advice. But i am only going to be tracking vocals. And its not good to have EQ when recording vocals. I am going to get does and test it out, what microphones do you use ?
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Lopez View Post
This is nice, thank you for you advice. But i am only going to be tracking vocals. And its not good to have EQ when recording vocals. I am going to get does and test it out, what microphones do you use ?
No prob. I never rule out anything. Remember, there are no absolutes in recording. Besides, what about mixing? Not trying to talk you into a purchase. I just believe that a good EQ (pair) goes beyond the tracking stage.

Currently, my main vocal mic is the Telefunken AR-51. Hasn't let me down since picking it up about 3 years ago. The usual suspects follow that... AT4050, SM7B, TLM102.
Old 16th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFMG View Post
Agree with this. This is a very nice combination that I don't personally own, but have had the chance to try out in a friends setup. Trust me, a setup like this is top notch. Too bad it's just way out of my price range!
Old 16th October 2013
You might want to skip the Purple Action if it's your only compressor. They sound great but it definitely isn't my go-to compressor for vocals.
Old 17th October 2013
Lives for gear

I loved the Great River mic pre with the FMR RNLA plugged into it.

Really hard to beat the versatility of the Great River and the RNLA has the ability to impart some very interesting character into vocal tracks. I do not do Hip Hop and wondering if maybe the RNLA might be a little slow for that application...

smarter people will chime in for sure.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

I use the stand-alone version of this (Safe Sound Audio P501 | ZenPro Audio), and love it.

This compressor leaves the vox crispy, and clean. It compresses with clarity.
Old 18th October 2013
Lives for gear

The TK Audio DP1 is a pretty cool pre-amp. You get a lot of bang for the buck thanks to it's unique hybrid design including both vintage and modern circuits. Germanium and silicon transistors, along with integrated circuits. Germanium sound of the mid 60's, low mid punch and thick sound with British class-A from the early 70's and the modern tone from the 80's and 90's.

You can usually pick them up used.

TK Audio - DP1mk3 Dual Preamplifier

Best regards
Demokid
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demokid View Post
The TK Audio DP1 is a pretty cool pre-amp. You get a lot of bang for the buck thanks to it's unique hybrid design including both vintage and modern circuits. Germanium and silicon transistors, along with integrated circuits. Germanium sound of the mid 60's, low mid punch and thick sound with British class-A from the early 70's and the modern tone from the 80's and 90's.

You can usually pick them up used.

TK Audio - DP1mk3 Dual Preamplifier

Best regards
Demokid
They have it on 500 series?
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

No I don't think so. The guy behind TK Audio is also the man who makes Vintage Design stuff.

http://www.vintagedesign.se/

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search