The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Presonus audiobox 1818v or M-audio fast track ultra 8r
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

Presonus audiobox 1818v or M-audio fast track ultra 8r

Hey guys
I am on the hunt for a new AI. And am considering the presonus audiobox 1818vsl or the M-AUDIO fast track ultra 8r. The presonus iv heard good things about. As well as the FTU. But iv also heard bad things about the FTU.

USB is what im after.

The DAW im using is reason 7 (like it alot).

So if u guys could shed a bit of light in the situation id really appreciate it.
Old 13th October 2013
Here for the gear

I know this is a topic that has been discused, but its the situation im stuck in so help please.
Old 14th October 2013
Gear Addict

I feel like M-Audio is at the bottom end of the pro audio spectrum. I'm not a fan of them and I don't really know anyone that is. I'm not a HUGE fan of the Presonus interfaces, but they're definitely a step up from M-Audio. What are you using it for tho? How many inputs/outputs do you need? Maybe there's something better out there I can recommend that will better suite your needs.
Old 15th October 2013
Here for the gear

Was also checking out the focusrite scarlette 18i20. Checksnoutnalot better. Mainly for recording voc, guitar, bass and full drum tracks. Im leaning more to the focusrite now though. Let me jbow though. Chasing something with plenty of in and outs. Not really worried bout the cost to much. If its decent its got to be had haha
Old 15th October 2013
I'd go for the Presonus 1818VSL just because it has ADAT in/out for future expansion!

The front inputs are kind of a bummer to me, but other than that, it's a solid unit.
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Nut

Ultra 8r has the tendency to die within 2 years. 2 preamps became noisy overnight. Most home-rec. forums as well as avid and maudio forums report the same problem.
Also the very first unit I've had, simply didn't work.

Overall, it is a nice box for the price, definitly usable. If you tight on cash, and choose the maudio, make sure the retailer has an extended waranty offer. (I'm thinking of Thomanns 3-year waranty.)
Edit: Spelling/Grammar
Old 15th October 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThriceBlind View Post
Was also checking out the focusrite scarlette 18i20. Checksnoutnalot better. Mainly for recording voc, guitar, bass and full drum tracks. Im leaning more to the focusrite now though. Let me jbow though. Chasing something with plenty of in and outs. Not really worried bout the cost to much. If its decent its got to be had haha
Yeah I'd probly take the Scarlett over the Presonus. The pre's aren't bad. I don't care for the presonus preamps. If you want the better sounding pre's tho, you might want to go for the Saffire series instead of the Scarlett. The Saffire Pro 40 is the same price but the pres sound better. The only problem is it's firewire.
Old 16th October 2013
Here for the gear

Yea thats the trouble. My computer doesnt have firewire port so im stuck with USB. but anyway. Money isnt really a problem im just chasing something good for my studio with 8 I/O. Are there any other options available that im not aware of?

The focusrite is prob my choice so far

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search