The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Digidesign 003 without firewire and other questions
Old 12th October 2013
Here for the gear

Digidesign 003 without firewire and other questions

I am looking to get a 003 right now and have a few questions.

First of all, I would like to know if the rack and the console versions have the same quality for recording? I used a 003 console a lot back when it first came out but then my partner moved across the country.Will I be losing quality if I get the rack version?

Also, my main computer is a laptop and does not have firewire ports. I can not think of a solution for this problem but I would really like to use my laptop as it is lightning fast with 32gb of RAM.

If I do get a console, can I still get the signature mod from BLA? All I have ever seen are rack modules with the mod.

I have heard that the 002 rack with the BLA mod actually sounds better than the 003 with BLA signature mod. Any truth or opinion on this?

Thanks for the advice!
Old 12th October 2013
Here for the gear

If you can go for the the digi 03 rack+...thats the piece to own.
The console imo is just a gimmick.
Its a good gimmick but there are so many other better mixers out there to me. Again, imo, its not worth it.
The rack is cheaper so a better buy imo plus ....the portability thing.
I keep my digi 03 rack+ in a skb case that has wheels and a spot for my mbp.
However if you need an all in one the console isnt a bad option.
I would not waste my time with an 02.
If you go with the plain digi 03 rack you can pick up some thing like a motu or focusrite octopre .
I love my digi 03 rack and having the fpur xtra channels rocks.
As far as the fire wire its only fw400 so you can easily by a hub or a cord with a 2.0 usb on one end and fw on the other.
Id get the hub iiwy.
There is absolutely no dif in quality between the products here.
Also it depends on what you are running your signal through pre digi.
I love the original focusrite platinum octopre it a very under rated piece of gear.
Fyi the eleven rack is a usb based digi product and I gotta say for the price... its not bad.
Hope that helps!
Keep in mind there ARE other options besides digi's/avids stuff.

sent from my tardis
Old 12th October 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for your opinion. What interface would you suggest then for around the same price?

Is the rack+ a different model than the regular 003? I haven't really seen any with the plus symbol after the rack and Digidesign website has no info on this. If so what is the difference?

I really just liked the 002 and the 003 that I used in the past and I have heard from numerous sources that the Black Lion Audio modded 003's are absolutely unbelievable and unbeatable for the price.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search