The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Spend More On Passives (with older amp) Or Go Cheaper Active Studio Monitors
Old 8th October 2013
Here for the gear

Spend More On Passives (with older amp) Or Go Cheaper Active

Basically, I'm on a budget around £200-300 and want me some monitors. My Wharfedale Diamonds (circa 198?) have finally let go. I've found a few Active monitors that look promising but it occurred to me that if I keep my amp I could get more speaker for my money. I don't have any particular need for Actives, there just nice and tidy. I'm running an old Cambridge Audio A5, the most basic ass amp you can get, however it's fairly flat and very reliable. Would it be worth hooking up some decent passives to the A5 or replacing the lot with some shiny new (slightly cheaper) actives? heh
Old 8th October 2013
Lives for gear

I spent a little less than you on passives. I run them with an old Nakamichi amp. I figure it probably cost $500 or more 20 years ago, so it can't be /that/ bad, especially not in comparison to whatever amp they're going to put into a budget monitor, right?
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search