The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need a laptop for music recording music
Old 12th September 2013
Gear Nut

Need a laptop for music recording music

I need a laptop for recording music suggestions for under 1000$
Old 12th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Its not so much the brand but the specs. You want lots of RAM (min 4GB), and a fast processor. More RAM the better, especially if you will be running lots of plug-ins and VSTs. Also depends on what recording software you use as some on only available on Mac or PC
Old 12th September 2013
Lives for gear

In December last year I bought a cheap laptop for grins, just to have a simple portable rig. Less than $400. An Acer Aspire 5750-6461. Much to my surprise I'm doing most of my tracking with this thing now. Didn't plan it that way to be honest with you. One of the best things that ever happened to me by accident.

BTW, I bought an Aspire specifically because I'd always had great experiences with them when I worked in the communications field. I liked that series because it doesn't come with a bunch of bundled crap to hog system resources. Far easier to setup for audio than a lot of other brands and model's.
Old 12th September 2013
Lives for gear

I only buy Dell business class machines. They are durable and repairable. Never been a bad decision. I get them off outlet.dell.com -- these are off-lease and warranty repair machines. A lot lower price than new. So I would buy a Latitude laptop -- those are business class. They also don't come with a bunch of pre-installed junkware to slow down the processor.

I have a friend with a low-end laptop. I think it's an i5 processor. With the Kontakt plugin and a few instruments, the processor is maxed out. But for just recording almost anything will work.
Old 12th September 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
In December last year I bought a cheap laptop for grins, just to have a simple portable rig. Less than $400. An Acer Aspire 5750-6461. Much to my surprise I'm doing most of my tracking with this thing now. Didn't plan it that way to be honest with you. One of the best things that ever happened to me by accident.

BTW, I bought an Aspire specifically because I'd always had great experiences with them when I worked in the communications field. I liked that series because it doesn't come with a bunch of bundled crap to hog system resources. Far easier to setup for audio than a lot of other brands and model's.
I purchased an inexpensive Aspire last year too and had trouble getting the USB to play nice with interfaces---tried three different units and the recordings were all so full of noise as to unusable. I did finally get it to work by attaching via a powered USB hub.

Other than that it's a perfectly good laptop and has given me no trouble.
Old 12th September 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper View Post

I have a friend with a low-end laptop. I think it's an i5 processor. With the Kontakt plugin and a few instruments, the processor is maxed out. But for just recording almost anything will work.
LOL , WUT?

i5 is a medium range cpu, and in most cases almost as capable as the i7's.
I have an mobile i7 at 2. Ghz and it can run like 10 analog factory from arturia,2 kontakts and a few wave plug-ins before it even starts to think about acting slow.
And it is a laptop.
CPU is not "it" for daw and music production, I could still be using a celeron dual core if my old laptop could take more ram....

Toshiba makes really make good laptops, so does Samsung and Asus.
Avoid anything by HP.

This one is a good example of a powerfull laptop, and not even top of the range, you can still add 8 GB of ram and external usb 3.0 storage.
TOSHIBA Satellite S875-S7376 Intel Core i7 3630QM(2.40GHz) 8GB Memory 1TB HDD 17.3" Notebook Windows 8 - Newegg.com

BTW, I also run Pro Tools 10 on my toshiba.
Old 12th September 2013
double post
Old 12th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Cordeiro View Post
LOL , WUT?

i5 is a medium range cpu, and in most cases almost as capable as the i7's.
I have an mobile i7 at 2. Ghz and it can run like 10 analog factory from arturia,2 kontakts and a few wave plug-ins before it even starts to think about acting slow.
And it is a laptop.
CPU is not "it" for daw and music production, I could still be using a celeron dual core if my old laptop could take more ram....
Probably the "low end" part of my post, more than the CPU part then.

Either that, or all the junkware that those low end machines tend to come with. It's not my computer so I can't provide a lot of details, but I did watch it come to a crawl and start skipping as we added more instruments.

I don't do any of that virtual instrument stuff with my own recordings and I've never had any trouble at all recording six inputs into Audition all night long, although sometimes I get home before it's done saving the files
Old 12th September 2013
Lives for gear

Yet another late night, impossible-to-answer post on gearslutz... Sigh.
Old 12th September 2013
the basic mac book pro is $1200. its really worth it for the added stability. and will last you much longer than any PC. not to mention a better resell value
Old 12th September 2013
Lives for gear
My Acer Aspire is the 4339-2618. I added all the memory it would take. Works fine for me using Reaper. I noticed that adding a lot of plug ins slowed it down. I don't need them so I took them off.
Old 12th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbraglia View Post
the basic mac book pro is $1200. its really worth it for the added stability. and will last you much longer than any PC. not to mention a better resell value
This. You will go over your budget a bit, but it's well worth it for these reasons IMHO. I got an older model MacBook Pro with i7 Processor and 4 GB of RAM for $1250 at Best-Buy.....I've had it for a year and it runs just as well as the day I got it. No slowing down, buggy-ness, and virus issues I always had on PC. Every PC I have owned became a shell of it's former self after only a year of use.

Just upgrade my memory (cheap and easy to do on Macs) from 4GB to 8GB for only $60......can run all sorts of programs and plugins all at once on multiple monitors with no issues at all. I highly recommend the Mac is you can squeeze the extra $250.
Old 12th September 2013
Lives for gear

I've had good experiences with Acer Aspire (currently using a 2009 model) and Toshiba Satellite laptops.

Sent from my SoftwinerEvb
Old 13th September 2013
Gear Nut

go with bigger brand for better value like dell or lenovo. You normally can get some really high end laptop at their outlet for really cheap.

buy a 500-600 bucks unit, and swap the drive out for an SSD and add some more ram, that should be good to go. get a bigger screen laptop for higher resolution and better cooling.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search