The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Looking For A Interface (Details Inside)
Old 26th August 2013
Here for the gear

Looking For A Interface (Details Inside)

-Hi guys

I'm currently in the process of setting up my first computer based recording set up and am looking for some suggestions on interfaces.

I just ordered a 2.6GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Mac mini witch I will be upgrading with a Samsung 840 Pro Series 256 GB SSD and 16GB of G.skill DDR3 RAM.

how ever I am having trouble finding an interface. I plan on purchasing a 8 or 16 I/0 apogee symphony in the future but would like to get something cheaper in the mean time to play around with while I save up some funds.

I'm looking for a interface with at least 8 channels of input, how ever I would also prefer 8 channels of output as well. I would also like each channel to have its own individual phantom power and possibly pad selection if possible.

I was looking at the PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL but heard some crummy things about their drivers and other stuff. I also was looking at the Motu 8pre but it looks like these are no longer in production and I have not been able to find many reviews on it.

I plan on using the personas studio one DAW software and I mainly do all my recordings with real physical interments. (various rock music) recorded threw various microphones and microphone set ups.

so yeah Im not really sure what to get so if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks
-Rex
Old 26th August 2013
Gear Maniac

The RME Babyface is in the same ballpark of quality as the Apogee stuff, but only has two preamps in it. BUT it has an ADAT optical in, which means it can be extended to 10 inputs later. The Babyface itself is $750 new, and it is what I have. The drivers are rock solid in my experience and in general consensus.

Another unit to look at which would compete with the Presonus unit you're considering would be the Saffire Pro 40 ($499) or the Saffire Liquid 56 ($800?). Both have 8 preamps, decent AD/DA, and lots of expandability.

The last one I'll recommend is one that people on these forums sometimes suggest, the Steinberg MR816 ($699).

In terms of sheer quality, my guess is Babyface > Liquid 56 = Saffire Pro 40 > MR816 > Audiobox. In terms of stability/drivers my guess is Babyface > the rest. In terms of expandability something like Liquid 56 > Pro 40 > Audiobox > MR816 > Babyface. With the Saffire series you'll have to get a Firewire to Thunderbolt dongle, but Focusrite claims their interfaces work fine with the dongle.
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

I had a Motu Ultralite Mk3 Firewire, not the hybrid USB, and it worked pretty good with some pretty good sound to it for what I was doing. It's got enough i/o for what you're asking.
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

Hi,

A friend of mine has a TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48. He is very satisfied with the interface, 12 In/out and you get a TC electronic reverb which sounds pretty good.

TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48

Befor I bought the SSL AlphaLink AX and MX4 I tried a PreSonus ADAT interface with 8 In/outs connected to a and RME HDSP ADAT card but some of the output's broke on the PreSonus.

Best regards
Demokid
Old 29th August 2013
Gear Maniac

For my iMac I have a PreSonus AudioBox22VSL, which serves as a 2-channel I/O and external sound card for Apple Logic Pro; it serves my needs nicely, but would not satisfy yours . However, PreSonus does produce a FireStudio firewire interface with 8 mike preamps; coin is $400. Have no experience or knowledge about this product, but PreSonus seems to make quality products for reasonable coin.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search