The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Wow, Bluebird sounds better than my TLM 49 0.o
Old 28th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Wow, Bluebird sounds better than my TLM 49 0.o

Yep, it's true. I've been using a tlm 49 for quite some time now and decided to add a second mic with a different flavor. Wow was I surprised. My chain is tlm 49/bluebird > blue robbie > steinberg ur824. While the Neumann is more rounded and detailed, the grittyness and character the bluebird adds to my vocals (rap) is outstanding. I may even sell my Neumann. Is this unheard of? Cuz I sure was shocked a $300 mic sounds better to my ear than a $1600 mic, at least on my voice.
Old 28th July 2013
Lives for gear

There's a mic for every voice... and it isn't always the most expensive one to be had.
Old 28th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetMC View Post
There's a mic for every voice... and it isn't always the most expensive one to be had.
Yes indeed.
Old 28th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by texxas View Post
Yep, it's true. I've been using a tlm 49 for quite some time now and decided to add a second mic with a different flavor. Wow was I surprised. My chain is tlm 49/bluebird > blue robbie > steinberg ur824. While the Neumann is more rounded and detailed, the grittyness and character the bluebird adds to my vocals (rap) is outstanding. I may even sell my Neumann. Is this unheard of? Cuz I sure was shocked a $300 mic sounds better to my ear than a $1600 mic, at least on my voice.
better sound is subjective. (duh)

numan has been around for a long time. and every hit album from the 70s 80s 90s uses neuman . and everyone wants that sound...
because it sounds like the hits the audience is used to.
but not because it sounds "good". ya follow?

we as a culture get "used" a "thing" because it sells, sold and most likely keep selling.

now fast forward to today... damn there is so much new technology. why coundnt one of the 8 billion people on earth reverse engineer a neuman mic and say heck i can make it sound "better" for a much lower price?
becuase they can, and have done so. its just that music has such a aura of mysticism that quantifying it becomes elusive, so we use whats "familiar" and what peers think and that is something that has sold a lot and people had good reviews of. that, now is a neuman and mics that sounds like nueman.

ok, where did i leave that half joint
Old 28th July 2013
Lives for gear

Umm.. Thats very intetesting,. i dont have tlm49, but i have tlm103 and bluebird. Bluebird is nowhere close to tlm103. I heard recordings with tlm49 that were great, i dont think foggy sounding blubird wld sound as good as tlm49.
Old 28th July 2013
Gear Maniac

I was actually going to pick up a tlm 103 tomorow just to a/b it against the bluebird lol, i hear it has more hype than the 49, which may be what im loving about the bluebird, it adds attitude and dirties it up a bit but sounds great on my voice
Old 28th July 2013
The TLM 103 is a beautiful mic indeed. It's definitely worth checking out.
Old 28th July 2013
Lives for gear
No doubt the bluebird has a harsher high end than the Tlm 49, which is very natural and smooth.

I wouldn't sell your Tlm 49 just yet though. First impressions can be really deceiving. Wait til mix time on a track a couple of weeks from now when you realize that the bluebird is sort of "hollow and really sizzley" and kinda grates on your ears when you turn the track up real loud in your car.

You'll be thinking, "damn I shoulda kept that Neumann". You're liking the "aggressive" tone of the bluebird, and I'm suggesting you can get a much better aggressive tone with FX on the Tlm.
Old 31st July 2013
Gear Maniac

Just thought I'd add, I picked up an akg c214 today to compare it to the bluebird, and once again, bluebird is the winner. Must just be a perfect match for my voice I guess, but I'd suggest anyone looking for a good budget mic try the bluebird before spending over a grand, you may be surprised!
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear

Btw, i have bluebird for sale like new condition still with original box and everything. Pm me.
Old 9th August 2013
Lives for gear

TLM49 is a nice clean and clear mic with many many in use today. Just so happens I have one for sale or trade in the classifieds.....
Old 10th August 2013
Gear Head

bluebird is a character mic.
It will certainly have it's use.
I'v modded mine into a more detailed mic while keeping it's character.
Old 26th June 2016
Lives for gear

With a Neumann it's to a large degree about how well they work as a tool in a real-life situation, versus how they "sound" when you are doing a raw, unprocessed A-B comparison.
Old 26th June 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Guy View Post
With a Neumann it's to a large degree about how well they work as a tool in a real-life situation, versus how they "sound" when you are doing a raw, unprocessed A-B comparison.
ya i think the cheapo sound will reveal itself eventually i praised a few mics for a couple of days til all i could hear was their cheap sound.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search