The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hard choice and no time to think: mic for home studio Condenser Microphones
View Poll Results: Which mic is the best for vocals?
Behringer B1
2 Votes - 50.00%
Nady SCM 1000
2 Votes - 50.00%
Nady SCM 960
0 Votes - 0%
T.Bone SC400
0 Votes - 0%
Art M-One
0 Votes - 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25th July 2013
Gear Head

Hard choice and no time to think: mic for home studio

Greetings, fellow gearslutz,
It's night in Belarus and in the morning I'll go get myself a mic for my home studio. The mic will be used strictly for vocals, mostly rap, pop & rnb. As of now, I have Samson C05, so pretty much anything will be a big step up.
In our country there is next to no choice of microphones, so I'm absolutely limited to the following mics:
1) Behringer B1 (here it costs $170)
2) Nady SCM 1000 ($165)
3) T.Bone SC400 ($116)
4) Art M-One ($155)
5) Nady SCM 960 ($99)
I stress it again that these mics are the only ones that a belorussian guy can actually get in this price range.
And please, don't just say to save up The mic is needed now.
I personally lean towards Behringer B1, as the reviews are mostly favourable but again, it is said to be not-so-good at recording vocals. And again, the T.bone is said to do miracles considering its price...
So I'm as confused as I can be. Please share your opinions on these mics on my list.
Thanks in advance for the time spent
And sorry for my english
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

I've not had much experience with any of the particular mics mentioned, but I've heard when modded certain Nady mics can be good.

Since we can't recommend anything else, the best thing to do (if possible) is to try each of the mics and see what suits you best.
Old 26th July 2013
Gear Head

So I went there and compared the sound.
The Art M-One unit was obviously trying to mimick the Blue type sound, but with the lack of low end response it failed: it's rather neutral though.
The T.Bone SC400 sounded like a good Blue mic, but the noize was predictably higher to the level where you can kinda feel it's there. The sound is natural, transparent, no coloration is addedwhich strikes as a surprise at its price
The B1 from Behringer is the mic that I preferred. After comparing it side-to-side with Rode NT1a and the others mentioned I left with the B1 without feeling compromised.
I was offered to give them my old mic (which I brouht to compare), get the discount of $50 and buy the Rode they promote so aggressively but nay... Behringer B1 sounded more natural and less hyped to me while giving the same detail and the same err.."type" of sound.
Maybe someone will find this post helpful someday.
Old 26th July 2013
Gear nut
I haven't tried the other microphones, but the B1 is a great low-budget mic.
Old 28th July 2013
Gear Head

Forgot to mention. These Behringer guys now offer 3 year warranty and seem to make a step up in quality of their gear. Indeed, this B1 sounded clearer to me than my friend's B2 Pro, while in fact they are the same mic but for the pattern selection.
Better quality caps maybe, dunno. It's high time they started using them anyway. My B1 is manufactured in December 2012.
Old 29th July 2013
Paj
Gear Head

I know it's the lowest-priced mic on your list but I can tell you that the Nady 960 is a nice mic and a bargain even at $99. As far as I can tell, it is a rebadged JoeMeek JM37dp (I have a pair of JM37dp mics and a Nady 960). I have also purchased another Nady 960 as an upcoming gift to a friend (when they a "Stupid Deals" they are REALLY a bargain). It is an improvement over the Behri B1 (which I don't own but have tried). It's been a "sleeper" for years! I don't have experience with the other mics you listed.

Paj
8^)
Old 29th July 2013
Lives for gear

Can you not find an Oktava mic? They're plentiful over here in the United States, and since they're made in Russia, I'd assume they'd be plentiful and cheap over there. Anyway, I'd rather have an MK319 over anything on your list, and I could find one used and within your budget pretty easily here in the U.S.
Old 29th July 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sound View Post
Can you not find an Oktava mic? They're plentiful over here in the United States, and since they're made in Russia, I'd assume they'd be plentiful and cheap over there. Anyway, I'd rather have an MK319 over anything on your list, and I could find one used and within your budget pretty easily here in the U.S.
I have to second this, it's great advice.

But if you really can't stretch that far money-wise, I guess a B1 would be alright, nothing spectacular (a lot like most of the mics on your list), but they can all be modified into very useable microphones further down the line... I've actually heard a few things recorded with a B1/B2 and thought they were quite good especially for the price.
Old 30th July 2013
Gear Head

Well guys, the Oktavas here are hard to find and they usually cost more than double the US prices (russia kinda works this way :D)
And the SCM 960 from Nady.. yeah.. I might as well add it to the locker or even sell the B1 if that goodie is THAT good. Maybe I would have preferred the Nady one but there were none of those in the store's showroom.
Actually butthurting a bit right now
Thanks for the replies.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search