The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Bring Tracks into Pro-Tools From Vinyl
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

Bring Tracks into Pro-Tools From Vinyl

This may be the stupidest question in the world, but for some reason Im scratching my head about it. How do you fly tracks from Vinyl into Pro-tools? Obviously I know I need a turntable. But I vaguely remember that all turntables had an extra cable for an RIAA equalization amplifier... so what does that get connected to?. Anyone done this before? How did you do it? Im looking for simple and cheap. I have a friend that has a ton of albums, and I got "chosen" to convert them to cd for him. Lucky me.
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

I saw online that ART makes a USB phono preamp. The key here is the "phono" part. Cause turntables have a very low output. You will need some type of phono preamp. I also see alot of cheap ones on ebay too.
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWallStudio View Post
But I vaguely remember that all turntables had an extra cable for an RIAA equalization amplifier... so what does that get connected to?
Actually, the extra cable is for grounding, and most modern turntables don't even have one anymore. My turntable only has the two red and white RCA leads that connect to a home stereo. RIAA equalization happens in a box. The box can be a dedicated "phono preamp", or an existing home stereo receiver with an input labeled "phono".

My rig consists of a turntable coming into my NAD C340 integrated amplifier (via the "phono input"). The NAD has a pre-amp output, which I hook straight into the analog inputs of a Digidesign MBox (the original one). I record into Pro Tools LE. Usually do an entire side and then I split and bounce each track separately.

Modern turntables have a SPDIF output that you can use if your audio interface supports it. My turntable has one, but I have been advised that the sound quality of the MBox ADCs is better. Didn't A/B it, so I don't know.

Many modern audio interfaces have phono inputs for this very purpose. M-Audio makes one and so does Edirol, I think. The recently announced MBox 2 Pro has phono inputs too.

Good luck,
++aldo
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagefright13 View Post
...turntables have a very low output....
not the reason. there is actually an eq curve applied to vinyl masters (you know each medium is mastered separately), the purpose being the physical limitations of the wax. A phono preamp is like the key to unlocking what you're supposed to be hearing.

so out of a phono preamp, you just run it to two line ins and push record. That's it.

and yeah, you can get them tons of places made by tons of companies for pretty cheap.
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

bunch of interfaces have em.

emu 1820(m) has em.
Old 14th September 2006
Lives for gear

I don't do it real often but the last time I did I just got little RCA-TRS adapters and went straight into a pre. Worked fine. I don't know why you would really need a special box, as long as you have 2 line inputs.
Old 15th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makinithappen View Post
I don't do it real often but the last time I did I just got little RCA-TRS adapters and went straight into a pre. Worked fine. I don't know why you would really need a special box, as long as you have 2 line inputs.

If there's no RIAA re-emphasis curve in the turntable, you were getting a totally weird freq. response, then.

*warning: super-layman explanation below!*

The RIAA curve de-emphasizes the low end so it doesn't take up so much room in the groove. It's kind of like scaling down the low end waveforms. Then after being picked up by the stylus, the phono preamp re-emphasizes the low end.

I think one of the Waves EQ's has a preset for RIAA re-empasis, so if you could get enough gain, and run the tracks through something like that, you'd be close. Better just to have a phono pre, though.

They're really cheap, some of 'em.
Old 15th September 2006
Lives for gear

i use the built-in RCAs on the EMU 1820. other than the occasional driver issue (now fixed) i've been pretty happy with the setup.
Old 15th September 2006
Lives for gear

Redwall, get yourself one of the Electrix boxes! They all have phono preamps.

I use a MoFx as a HW insert in Pro Tools, and I can use it as a standard delay/mod fx or as a phono preamp with or without the effects in use. You can feed or play into the MoFx from the PT mixer at the same time as you listen to vinyl; all can be recorded in one performance

ruudman
Attached Thumbnails
Bring Tracks into Pro-Tools From Vinyl-electrix_panel_mo_back.jpg  
Old 15th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMosca View Post
Modern turntables have a SPDIF output that you can use if your audio interface supports it. My turntable has one, but I have been advised that the sound quality of the MBox ADCs is better. Didn't A/B it, so I don't know.
Good luck,
++aldo
So, if I have Pro-Tools LE, which has sp/dif input... can I just get a turn-table with sp/dif output and that will work fine? It sounds like the simplest solution.
Old 15th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWallStudio View Post
So, if I have Pro-Tools LE, which has sp/dif input... can I just get a turn-table with sp/dif output and that will work fine? It sounds like the simplest solution.
Well, yes, but the point is that the converters in your PTLE interface may be better than the ones in the turntable.

I'd get whatever turntable you're going for and get a standalone RIAA/Phono pre and go into the line ins on your PTLE interface. Yes, it's two boxes vs. the one turntable, but it'll probably sound much better. OTOH, if you're OK with what the s/pdif output on the TT is gonna do, it could be ok. It'll certainly be a bit more elegant, and if you're planning on being mobile at some point, it may be the better option because it's one cable between TT and interface.

Oh, yeah, OTOH (once again) you can find a TT with a phono preamp that'll go straight into the line ins on your interface. That ought to be a bit better and just as simple.
Old 15th September 2006
Lives for gear

yeah, you can get a standalone riaa preamp for like $40. Skip your date this weekend, buy a phono preamp and a 12 pack.
Old 15th September 2006
Lives for gear

My advice would be to get a direct drive DJ turntable ie: Technics, Vestax, on a low budget Numark. This will eliviate the problems asciociated with timestretching etc and wont break the bank either.

Most people i know and also myself included connect the turntable to a mixer, DJ or small format, its inexpensive and ive no doubt that it will sound better than going direct from turntable straight to soundcard weather its a ART Phono USB or any other interface for that matter, because a mixer has its own line preamp for gain etc.. its will sound better and also your soundcard wont need a built in preamp, most of those on the low end interfaces dont sound good anyway.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search