The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Weird Baby Bottle sound
Old 5th September 2006

Question Weird Baby Bottle sound

Recently I did a test between a Baby Bottle and a KSM 27 to choose which one sounded better on a male vocalist. I was using the KSM 27 as my main vocal mic but wanted to compair it with the BB. The thing is that the BB sounded weird to me, I mean, it picked up a lot of room and ambient, to me it was like hearing a omni polar pattern instead of cardioid, is this its normal behavior/sound? It wasn't what I expected (because of the way it was capturing the room). Do you know what I mean? Anyway I recorded the vocal with the 27 but got very curious about the Baby Bottle sound. It got me thinking, maybe it's broken or something jeje.

What are your experiences with the Baby Bottle? Does this sound familiar?
Old 6th September 2006
Lives for gear

My first thought is that you aren't used to hearing a mic with good depth.

While the KSM27 is a decent enough mic, IMO it is a dry sounding mic with little depth and dimension.

The Baby Bottle, while rolled off at the top and bottom still has good depth to it, much, much more than the KSM27 IMO. Also, it is a very hot mic and if the levels were very different that obviously could account for part of what you're hearing. Also, the so called cardiod patterns of mics varies, with some being tighter and some being a bit wider.

Overall, I'd say you weren't hearing something odd so much as you were hearing a lot more. In general I'd say that's a positive characteristic; however it's not always what you want (and so different polar patterns) and apparently didn't work for you this time.

An opinion of mine: I really like my Baby Bottle and while a decent number of mics came and went before I settled on what I wanted, the baby Bottle didn't and won't be going anywhere. That being said, while it sounds good enough to me on vocals, it's not a vocal mic. It will not cut through a mix......actually, I don't think vocals sit well in a mx with the BB. To me, the BB is a niche mic, and very good at it's niche. To me, the KSM27 is a very generic mic. In all, it might be time you consider looking at a mic or mics that excel on vocals (excuse me if you already have other vocal mics).

Good luck,
Mad
Old 6th September 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst View Post
That being said, while it sounds good enough to me on vocals, it's not a vocal mic. It will not cut through a mix......actually, I don't think vocals sit well in a mx with the BB.
I think it depends on the voice and what you are recording. Blink 182 used a BB with a Martech pre on most of their CDs. The vox really sound good to me. Although you may not like the music, they are some nice sounding mixes.

Mike
Old 6th September 2006

Thanks a lot for our replies guys! For my recent recording the KMS 27 worked but I like the fact that the Baby Bottle has a whole different sound to try out on different voices and stuff. I just wanted to confirm that it was suppost to sound like that. I would love to have a Martech jeje.
Old 6th September 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz View Post
I would love to have a Martech jeje.

Me too!
Old 6th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhartman View Post
I think it depends on the voice and what you are recording. Blink 182 used a BB with a Martech pre on most of their CDs. The vox really sound good to me. Although you may not like the music, they are some nice sounding mixes.

Mike
Are you sure? I though they used a Blue Bottle, not a baby bottle. I've seen pictures of a huge pink Bottle in Mark Hoppus' "home" studio. Could be wrong.
Old 6th September 2006
Lives for gear

I just recently pulled out my BB to use for hip-hop vocals after not using it for a while. I think it sounded pretty good. I guess it works for hip-hop, kinda in your face. It has a really hot output though. heh
How much difference is there between the old "Made in Latvia" BB's and the new ones?
Old 6th September 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
Are you sure? I though they used a Blue Bottle, not a baby bottle. I seen pictures of a huge pink Bottle in Mark Hoppus' "home" studio. Could be wrong.
Well, I'm fairly certain that "baby bottle" is what I read in one of the magazines (EQ or Mix probably). Whether that is accurate is another story. Anyone with first hand knowledge want to chime in? As I recall, it was an article about Jerry Finn recording Blink 182, though, so they probably weren't using Hoppus' home studio.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search