The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
both my Tube mics died... need a new one! ($400 ish?)
Old 24th April 2013
Gear Head

both my Tube mics died... need a new one! ($400 ish?)

Ok, I had two of the BEST tube mics under $400 ever made.
The MXL V77 was dark and rich! It was vocal gold.

Then i took WAR's advice in 2005 and got a CAD M9 and it was amazing!
Them two mics are on everything i recorded vocally for about 7 years! They were my vocal sound on about 10 albums. They are in my opinion the best tube vocal mics under $400 that ever hit the market.

I had some issues with the MXL it started making bad noises and so the support at the MXL company being pretty great with PR traded me straight for a V69 for my mic with issues... yet, the V69 was not even close! talk about sibilance! i sold it within a few months... because I was so happy with my Cad.

The Cad was perfect for about 8 years then it just blew up. The Transformer on the power amp is fried, and CAD support is the worst EVER at customer service, I have called and emailed and NOTHING!!!! Cad seems like they don't even exist.

So great... i have a tube mic with NO POWER SUPPLY and no replacement because it is a specific 7 pin special type thing and they don't make them any longer.

So today i have lots of great mics but NOTHING touches the dark rich warmth of these tube mic gems.

Don't get me wrong I love my Blue Bird, I love my old school hard working Oktava 319, and my dynamic Heil PR40 is great... yet still for my high end nasal prone voice not one of them are perfect. I have to do a bunch of EQ work to find the sound. I make due but i want that warm dark tube sound again!!!

Can anyone suggest a mic that will be VERY SIMILAR to the V77 OR CAD M9?

I should just an email to WAR, that dude knows his stuff big time! Seems like he is always helping everyone out with great advice.

thanks in advance to anyone that can help! I just want an affordable tube mic that sounds as good as them models.
Old 24th April 2013
Lives for gear

Sorry about your luck.

Have you tried A/T 4060 or 3060? The 4060 used even may be a bit higher price wise, but the 3060 should be close.
-e
Old 24th April 2013
Used Avantone CV-12....really great value and it's made it's way to radio hits! Bonus
Old 24th April 2013
Lives for gear
I have been using a CAD M9 for about 5 years. I know what you mean about its tone. Last weekend I tested a female singer with the M9 positioned next to an MXL V89 (now known as the CR89).

To my ears and the vocalist's, the two mics have a very similar presentation, with the V89 sounding "bigger" according to the singer. I thought the V89 had a bit more detail than the M9, but was otherwise interchangeable.

CR89's are new, just introduced at the last NAMM, and cost about $350. Dealers are still clearing their inventory of V89's, which can easily be found at $200.

HTH.
Old 24th April 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
I have been using a CAD M9 for about 5 years. I know what you mean about its tone. Last weekend I tested a female singer with the M9 positioned next to an MXL V89 (now known as the CR89).

To my ears and the vocalist's, the two mics have a very similar presentation, with the V89 sounding "bigger" according to the singer. I thought the V89 had a bit more detail than the M9, but was otherwise interchangeable.

CR89's are new, just introduced at the last NAMM, and cost about $350. Dealers are still clearing their inventory of V89's, which can easily be found at $200.

HTH.
SO COOL... thank you! That is EXACTLY the advice i needed!!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search