The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Monkey Banana Turbo 8
Old 20th April 2013
Monkey Banana Turbo 8

So today I have received my new pair of monitors:Monkey Banana Turbo 8.I've chosen them after I have compared them with Adam,Dynaudio BM6a Mk1 and Eve Audio Sc 207.By far,the Monkeys where the best!In other class in terms of sound.I've already recorded with them for 5 hours today and I'm very happy.They are the most detailed 8 inch woofer monitors I have ever used and I have used some.The tweeter is INCREDIBLE!I will post new impressions after the burn in!
Old 21st April 2013
Why do you still have HS50s as your picture? The Monkey Bananas look way cooler!
Old 21st April 2013
I didn't have time to change the picture
Old 21st April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by klapaucius View Post
I didn't have time to change the picture
Good stuff :-) i don't seem to find any reviews of the Turbo 8's

Which Adams model did you compare them to?
Old 21st April 2013
A7x and A8x. No contest between Monkeys and Adams.And not only in my opinion.3 other persons agreed with me.Also,Adam said that the port turbulence was solved but the problem was still there.Very,very annoying.
Old 22nd April 2013
Tuesday Knight
I was looking at those. Bass extension is a bit short on paper for that kind of cash, for me anyway.

Monkey Banana Monitor Reviews Archives - MusicTech | MusicTech

Reviews of the 5's.
Old 22nd April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Knight View Post
Bass extension is a bit short on paper for that kind of cash, for me anyway.
Only on paper.But they go lower.Trust me.
Old 23rd April 2013
Gear Addict

Am I the only one who had to Google "Monkey Banana Turbo 8" to see what the joke was only to find out that it actually IS a real studio monitor?
Old 23rd April 2013
They are studio monitors.And they are very very good.Incredible bang for buck!
Old 23rd April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFRfan View Post
Am I the only one who had to Google "Monkey Banana Turbo 8" to see what the joke was only to find out that it actually IS a real studio monitor?
No. No you aren't.
Old 24th April 2013
Gear Nut

Is it bad that I really really want a pair just so I can tell people what they are called?
Old 24th April 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertarian View Post
Is it bad that I really really want a pair just so I can tell people what they are called?
No. No it isn't.

I also want a pair. They look pretty cool! Not much chance of being able to hear a pair in Australia though!
Old 24th April 2013
I think you will pe surprised how good are these monitors for their price.
Old 25th April 2013
Gear Nut

Anyone know a dealer in the US who will ship me a pair to eval (obviously they have to have a no-restock-fee return policy in case I don't like them more than my existing monitors)? I haven't seen too many places that carry them here.
Old 27th April 2013
A little review.I will post other reviews soon.

So,I din't make a review yet because I wanted to avoid that "new gear hype".I wanted to test them thoroughly.But I did 2 mixes on them and I have to say some things:

1.The most clean,detailed and easy to work on 8 inch monitors I have ever worked with.I don't think I need to learn them,they are spot on from the first second after I have setted them properly.
2.The first monitors I have ever worked on and they translated perfectly to my Sennheiser HD 280 pro headphones.Not even my beloved Yammys didn't manage to get this performance.
3.Did 2 mixes,and they translated PERFECTLY from the first try on: 3 pairs of usual cheap systems,4 pairs of headphones and monitors like:Yamaha Hs50's,Event Tr8,Yamaha HS 80's,Genelec 8020,Alesis Monitor One.I remember that on all the monitors I had (even the HS50's) I needed at least a month to learn them and to make them really translate,but with Monkey Banana everything was perfect from my first mix.Awesome.
4.They are so natural sounding and not fatiguing even though the tweeter is incredible:extremely detailed and aired because they go up to 30.000 Hertz.
5.I repeat this once again:4 other persons(engineers and producers) prefered them in front of Adam A7x,Eve Audio Sc207,Event 2030's,Dynaudio Bm6a MK1.In my opinion these monitors are unbeatable in the 1200 Euros price area.
Old 31st January 2014
9 months with the Monkeys and they are still going strong.I love them.
Old 31st January 2014
Would anyone know if these would be more accurate or on par with the equator d5s? Equator seems to boast about their coaxial design, midrange accuracy and provides a more detailed and scientific description. No lie- the Monkeys look freegin sweet, but before condsidering them, it'd be wise to rule out how much they color the sound compared to others. My next purchase was going to be the Equators after being unhappy with my Presonus Eris. But maybe ill wait until more pro reviews come out for these sexy things!
Old 31st January 2014
I don't know about equators but trust me,the Monkeys have a flawless translation and they do not sound coloured at all.I found them very flat.Keep in mind that I listened and worked with a lot of monitors,and in my opinion these are the flattest monitors I have ever heard.
Old 1st February 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapaucius View Post
I don't know about equators but trust me,the Monkeys have a flawless translation and they do not sound coloured at all.I found them very flat.Keep in mind that I listened and worked with a lot of monitors,and in my opinion these are the flattest monitors I have ever heard.
Are you using digital ins? You paid 1200 Euros for a pair?

Any reason you consistently avoid spaces after punctuation? Just curious
Old 1st February 2014
No,analog.I've paid 850 Euros.When I wrote that post I listened all the major competitors in that budget area and the Monkeys were the best and not only in my opinion (3 other producers/engineers heard them and loved them).

About avoiding spaces,it's only a bad habit.
Old 21st March 2014
Here for the gear

I am perplexed
I had the Monkeys and the Adams for one night, it took us (three people) only a few seconds to decide in favour of the Adams.
To my ears the Monkeys sounded boxy and messy, as if the resonance of the enclosure was interfering with the music.
I don't have a pair of golden ears ... but I would be desperate if I had to mix Bananas for the rest of my days.
Do you guys really like them ?
The Adams were far superior in every aspect, mind, I wouldn't buy Adam monitors as they are too bright for me, but I can tell that someone must have put some work into them.
They have been tuned.
They might sound a bit too artificial, a bit too sterile ... I heard all sorts, but they don't sound like speakers in a cardboard box
Old 21st March 2014
I guess we all like different types of sound and/or hear differently.
Old 21st March 2014
ECM
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavide View Post
I am perplexed
I had the Monkeys and the Adams for one night, it took us (three people) only a few seconds to decide in favour of the Adams.
To my ears the Monkeys sounded boxy and messy, as if the resonance of the enclosure was interfering with the music.
I don't have a pair of golden ears ... but I would be desperate if I had to mix Bananas for the rest of my days.
Do you guys really like them ?
The Adams were far superior in every aspect, mind, I wouldn't buy Adam monitors as they are too bright for me, but I can tell that someone must have put some work into them.
They have been tuned.
They might sound a bit too artificial, a bit too sterile ... I heard all sorts, but they don't sound like speakers in a cardboard box
We had to test these Monkies after looking and hearing the name lol, but like you, they are not in the same league as the A7X and others in its class, no where near. Guess if someone thought so it would be room problems or the fact that the monitor is not burned in proper (Or sales related)

The monkies sit with the likes of MR8, Reveals etc, thats where they are classed.
Old 21st March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
We had to test these Monkies after looking and hearing the name lol, but like you, they are not in the same league as the A7X and others in its class, no where near. Guess if someone thought so it would be room problems or the fact that the monitor is not burned in proper (Or sales related)

The monkies sit with the likes of MR8, Reveals etc, thats where they are classed.
Sales related ... That's what it is, I'm so naive !!!
Yes, we turned the Monkeys on and back off, end of the story.
Old 22nd March 2014
Here for the gear

Hey Im planning to buy monkey banana turbo 5 with a krk subwoofer. would it be a good combo? i cant spend so much on the monkey woofer. Also i duno if thge turbo 5 would be even enough down to 80hz where they would cross over to the krk sub
Old 18th April 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford192 View Post
Hey Im planning to buy monkey banana turbo 5 with a krk subwoofer. would it be a good combo? i cant spend so much on the monkey woofer. Also i duno if thge turbo 5 would be even enough down to 80hz where they would cross over to the krk sub
One more post on this subject:

If you could a/b a monkey with any other semi decent monitor (including the restaurant standard JBL control 1) you would probably spend your money on something else.
Mind, I am not trying to start an anti-monkey campaign, I just don't understand why someone should start a pro-monkey one promising audio nirvana.
Seriously, Alexis M1, Tannoy Reveal ... If you can't afford the expensive monitors there is plenty of cheap stuff that works.
Tannoy was making speakers long before Hitler got even interested in politics ... Not many music-playing monkeys back then.
Old 22nd April 2014
I a/b'd the Monkeys with lots of monitors. And I was with other engineers and producers. And guess what? We all felt that Monkeys were the best.

You're exaggerating. A LOT! Alesis, Tannoy Reveal are not even in the same ballpark with the Monkeys.
Old 22nd April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford192 View Post
How did you pick that x-over point without having the gear in your room. As an fyi 80hz is rather high
Old 23rd April 2014
Gear Nut

I'm finding these claims in this thread very hard to believe for some reason.
Old 29th April 2014
ok Ive done quite some reviewing since my last post and monkey banana is good. But definitely not competing with adam .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search