The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tape recommendation for Tascam 22-2
Old 26th August 2006
Lives for gear

Tape recommendation for Tascam 22-2

I just bought a restored working 22-2 from ebay

Ok so the seller says 456 is fine. But then i read in some recording forum that consumer decks like 22-2 is more compatible with 1 mil thickness tape like 407.

So I checked Quantegy site but couldnt find what's the difference between 406/407 and 408. Anyone care to clear the air?

I am not really worried about the sound fidelity, noise or anything. Anyway my intention is to use this machine as an outboard effect to add a gritty home recording sound to my project. Not as a mastering deck tutt

So is 407 the most compatible? What others do you guys recommend?

And where's the cheapest place to order 7" reel tape online with international shipping?

(sorry I'm a total tape virgin heh )
Old 30th August 2006
Lives for gear

bump...

hmm...where are all the tape experts
Old 30th August 2006
Lives for gear

i dunno nothing bout tape
but a quick google gave me this
some dood uses 407 in his in the page i found the info
i think he said he could also use 456/457
maybe do a lil bit more reasearch to make sure

hope it helps
Old 30th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
hmm...where are all the tape experts

in the high end section.
Old 30th August 2006
Lives for gear

I used a 22-2 for a few years and the 456 worked great. Never a problem.
Old 30th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanvacha View Post
in the high end section.

lol
Old 21st September 2006
Gear Head

I have a lot of 10-20 year old 456 tapes (ampex). I can not use them any more as the magnetic coating has become very sticky and my Tascam can not pull the tape up. I have some even older Agfa tapes which still is in perfect condition. Some say that the advantage of 456 is that the transition from clean sound to distortion is kind of soft. Today Ampex use another kind of glue. The sound of the tapes has always been OK, but I think the AGFA sounded better in the upper frequencies.

I think the best thing is to buy some different tapes and try them. I guess that tapes sound different on different machines...
Old 23rd September 2006
Gear Head
Tapes

Just found my first 2 Maxell UD50-10R Tapes fro '86. They were 1 year old and used when I got them. One of them has started to loose the coating, but the other is in perfect condition. And I found a Revox tape, age unknown but at least 15 years. The sound is very ok on both of these types of tape. I have used the Maxell tapes a lot of times and when I listen to the recordings on them to day I still admire the sound...
Old 12th February 2009
Here for the gear

Tascam 22-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchas View Post
I used a 22-2 for a few years and the 456 worked great. Never a problem.
I need info on the Tascam 22-2, is it a 1/2" tape, or a 1/4" tape?
Old 29th May 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspeigne View Post
I need info on the Tascam 22-2, is it a 1/2" tape, or a 1/4" tape?
this deck is 1/4"
Old 4 weeks ago
Old thread I know but in case somebody else is searching for info. The Tascam 22-2 was factory set up for Maxell UD 35-90 tape and that tape works best (unless of course a previous owner changed the bias for some other tape). The original manual also says that Scotch 207 will work well. I use only these two tapes on my machine. Both of those tape types are still as of now redily available on eBay. Scotch 207 is a little less high fi, and a bit more vibey than Maxell UD 35-90. No matter what any gearslutz here will tell you, it is a very cool little great sounding deck when in proper working order.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I had a 22-2 for a while. I have a pile of Agfa PEM 468 so I used that. It sounded very good

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search