The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Small Format Mixer Repair?
Old 16th April 2013
Gear Addict

Small Format Mixer Repair?

Someone here must have experience as a tech, yeah?

Anyone have any experience with mixing boards? I have a small format unit (Soundcraft Notepad 124FX) that I love, and stopped working a while back - first sign was audio was coming out of the tape in and accepting in the tape out, then eventually it blew a cap. To be fair, I was running it like 18 hours a day for at least 6 months...

The power caps blew. At least one of them...

I just got new panasonic caps from Mouser, and it now powers on, and I can scroll through the FX numbers on the LCD thingie, as well as see the light come on for +48v

But when I plug in headphones, I get what *might* be a 60 cycle ground hum, or might be noise. Hard to tell... but after I plugged in a source and powered it back on, the noise went away, and I can't get it back.

Also, no sound is passing through. Tried line and tape in's, just didn't try mic yet, but I tried using monitor outs, main outs, and headphone outs, all get the same treatment. Also, no signal level LEDs come on.

Any thoughts, besides ditch it? I know it wasn't expensive, but after I put this much effort into it (it's a bitch to get out of its shell to begin with...) I don't want to give up so quick.

Either way, components and wire are cheap, and it's good practice with the iron.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search