The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MXL V67G - any good?
Old 25th November 2012
Gear Maniac

I've owned both an MXL 67G and a Behringer B2. They are fairly different mics, although they do have some similarities and I think they both have their pros and cons:

MXL V67G
1. Wiring; the front end is a copy of a U87
2. It has a 32mm capsule (I've upgraded mine to a 34mm)
3. It has a transformer. I'm not sure if its the transformer or something else, but something is smoothing out the top end.
4. The mic only has one pickup pattern

Behringer B2:
1. The Behringer B2 is actually a "twin" to the NT2S made by 797 Audio, and is an upgraded design of the orignal Rode NT2 mic.
Does anyone have a 797 NT2S?

2. It has a 34mm capsule

3. It is the only mic design I've seen (considering that it's been rebranded a bunch) at that price range that is full of high quality WIMA capacitors (including the gate cap).

4. It has 3 pick up patterns.

5. There is no transformer in the mic, but it was designed to give a U87 type sound.

In several respects, the Behringer actually has the edge (better capacitors, multiple pickup patterns...); However, the top end on the Behringer can be quite pronounced (10K-12K). Moving the B2pro an inch or 2 away from the source can resolve this (I'm not a big fan pointing the mic of off axis with cheaper mics). On some sources, the mellower V67G can be a lot nicer to work with. Also, the 67G can be upgraded to provide a better sound. So if you hate too much top end in your mics get the V67G. If you want multiple pickup patterns and a really crisp sound, get a B2.
Old 25th November 2012
Gear Addict

Can be a great mic or a terrible mic. MXL quality control. I've owned two that sounded quite different and looked slightly different and as far as I know both were authentic.

In this price range for vocals I've come to like the AKG P220 and Blue Spark

I should try that Behringer (feels weird typing that)
Old 25th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlipoth View Post
I've owned both an MXL 67G and a Behringer B2. They are fairly different mics, although they do have some similarities and I think they both have their pros and cons:

MXL V67G
1. Wiring; the front end is a copy of a U87
2. It has a 32mm capsule (I've upgraded mine to a 34mm)
3. It has a transformer. I'm not sure if its the transformer or something else, but something is smoothing out the top end.
4. The mic only has one pickup pattern

Behringer B2:
1. The Behringer B2 is actually a "twin" to the NT2S made by 797 Audio, and is an upgraded design of the orignal Rode NT2 mic.
Does anyone have a 797 NT2S?

2. It has a 34mm capsule

3. It is the only mic design I've seen (considering that it's been rebranded a bunch) at that price range that is full of high quality WIMA capacitors (including the gate cap).

4. It has 3 pick up patterns.

5. There is no transformer in the mic, but it was designed to give a U87 type sound.

In several respects, the Behringer actually has the edge (better capacitors, multiple pickup patterns...); However, the top end on the Behringer can be quite pronounced (10K-12K). Moving the B2pro an inch or 2 away from the source can resolve this (I'm not a big fan pointing the mic of off axis with cheaper mics). On some sources, the mellower V67G can be a lot nicer to work with. Also, the 67G can be upgraded to provide a better sound. So if you hate too much top end in your mics get the V67G. If you want multiple pickup patterns and a really crisp sound, get a B2.
I appreciate your response. I have had the B2 (not pro) for over ten years and my prior impression was that it was somewhat noisy with a harsh top, and as a consequence, primarily used dynamics for recording guitar and voice. Prior preamps used were cheap mixer preamps, Echo Layla 3g, and then Art MPA Gold.

However, I have upgraded my interface to an RME UFX and with those pres, the B2 sounds "heavy" or "wet". Instead of being harsh on top it sounds detailed. Just bigger. The MXL has an agressive upper midrange thing going on and it doesn't seem to have as much weight in the middle so it sounds "dry" and aggressive in my chain.

I don't have any way to A/B the RME "micstacy" pres against what I used prior, but I think they bring out the best in the B2. I was not planning on using the B2, but now I'm excited about it.

I don't think the difference is night and day and they are overall similar. Neither will make/break performance. This leaves me thinking the MXL is not a great value because it does not ship with any accessories. And the weight, grill, and physical construction does not match the B2.

I recognize the MXL as a great platform for modding, but I cringe to think I would spend $379 for a Joly mod and not like it appreciably more than the B2.
Old 25th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoboy View Post
Can be a great mic or a terrible mic. MXL quality control. I've owned two that sounded quite different and looked slightly different and as far as I know both were authentic.

In this price range for vocals I've come to like the AKG P220 and Blue Spark

I should try that Behringer (feels weird typing that)
Could be a dud, but its not "bad" so much as I feel it adds an aggressive midrange at the expense of some other qualities.

YOu should try the B2.
Old 26th November 2012
Lives for gear

Want to update my opinion on the V67g.

Was recording some acoustic guitar, direct AB against the B2. I like the V67 a good bit more for acoustic guitar, the upper mids have better representation and it sounds more like I hear it in room, but perhaps a tiny bit more boxy than the B2.

The problem with the B2 is that it picks up a "sheen" on the strummed chords as if there is more presence, less upper mids, less aggression, that makes it sound less like a good acoustic guitar. The character of picked notes is less apparent. If this was a rosewood guitar, the B2 might be better (??), but this is a mahogony, warmer and it needs a bit of mid aggression.

Noise floor on both mics is very similar, but not great. It sounds like noise on v67 is fractionally more. I am torn about the v67 because if I knew this was to be used for acoustic, I would prefer a lower noise floor and more patterns. All in all both mics are usable, I think the only thing that keeps them from being totally pro is the noise floor.
Old 12th December 2012
Here for the gear

Are there any decent do it yourself mods out there for this microphone?
Old 12th December 2012
Gear Maniac

I remember bit of how mine is modded, but I'll have to take a look at it to see the whole thing:

1. Change the stock 32mm to a 34mm capsule. There are a bunch of different types at microphone-parts.com . I got an AK67 from Dave Thomas that has a really nice darker quality compared to other '67 style capsules.

2. Change the capacitor that is connected to the capsule (I believe it is soldered underneath, so you will have to unscrew at least one side). A 1000pf 630v silver mica works well there.

That's all I can recall off the top of my head.

Also, there's this tool on gearslutz thats really helpful. It's called "search". It can help you find stuff like this:
mxl v67 mic mods?
Old 12th December 2012
Here for the gear

yeah search is how I found this thread. Anyway thanks for the info.
Old 11th March 2015
I love the MXL V67G for its clear, warm and deep sound. It has been very versatile with different projects I have done. It worked very well for female voice, acoustic guitar, backing vocals of multiple people together and as a room/overhead for acoustic recordings.

My problem is that after only one year it started to give static noise and I don't know how to fix it. I checked inside and every contact looks clean and working. Any suggestions to easily fix it?
Old 14th July 2015
Here for the gear

love the v67g. thinking of getting one for my home recording studio mainly for vocals
Old 18th July 2015
Gear Head

Wow. For a thread started back in 2006, this thing has amazing longevity. Never owned a V67G...or any MXL mic for that matter. Tried out a few here and there. Just picked up a 2003a, as I have heard it's a pretty unhyped presentation. jlipoth...your post contained some very helpful information. Thanks for the technical specs on those mics. Good to know.

Last edited by Hoosierdaddy; 19th July 2015 at 12:24 AM..
Old 21st July 2015
Lives for gear

Best way I can think to describe it...it sounds just like my AT4050 with a blanket over it.

Pretty neutral, slightly dark, slower transient response. Not a real tight pattern, so it picks up a bit of the room if your room isn't dead.
Old 21st July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Vogel View Post
Best way I can think to describe it...it sounds just like my AT4050 with a blanket over it.
Spot on. My experience with it a few years back. It's really a pretty terrible mic in stock form. I'm not sure why it gets recommended.
Old 22nd July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
Spot on. My experience with it a few years back. It's really a pretty terrible mic in stock form. I'm not sure why it gets recommended.
Well, I wouldn't go as far as calling it terrible but for less money the MCA SP-1 is a better sounding mic...kind of like a better sounding SM58.

You can usually find them for about $50, and if you buy a mic with the intention of modding it; start cheep.

I had an AT4050 as my main mic, sold it to buy an v67G and an SM7B.

Did one project with them and sold them both and bought another AT4050.

The two mics were workable, but just one 4050 was more versatile than the other two together.
Old 22nd July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

The SM7b is a mic I've fallen in and out of love with over the years. I finally gave up on it because I consistently found it to be a difficult mic to work vocally and to EQ. I feel like the Sm7 just picks up too much mud when you work it too closely and not enough detail when you're too far back on it. The sweet spot is tricky on that mic. It's fantastic when you hit the sweet spot.

I sold it and discovered a mic I've sort of fallen in love with for nearly every source. It's the ADK Odin. I bought it for less than 200 bucks new. I never have to use any EQ when I use that mic. The low end is tight, never boomy or muddy and the top end is perfect. You can get right up on that mic in a less than perfect room and not have deal with much proximity effect. I love the various EQ settings you get with that mic. I never have to worry about hitting a "sweet spot" on that mic to get it to perform well. It's pretty much a set and forget type of mic. This might surprise you, but I find the tonality of the Odin when set on the mellow setting to be very similar to the darkish SM7b tone when hitting the sweet spot, minus the hassles.

Quote:
Well, I wouldn't go as far as calling it terrible but for less money the MCA SP-1 is a better sounding mic...kind of like a better sounding SM58.

You can usually find them for about $50, and if you buy a mic with the intention of modding it; start cheep.

I had an AT4050 as my main mic, sold it to buy an v67G and an SM7B.

Did one project with them and sold them both and bought another AT4050.

The two mics were workable, but just one 4050 was more versatile than the other two together.
Old 24th July 2015 | Show parent
As I've said before, the V67g will sound much better with the headbasket mod. I wouldn't waste money on the elec. mod. The headbasket mod results in the most improvement. Better clarity and tighter bass. I've modded many of them. PM me if you want your's modded.
Quote:
I wouldn't say it's better sounding. It's a good sounding mic but it's comparing apples to oranges. The MCA SP-1 is a small diaphragm condenser.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
I wouldn't say it's better sounding. It's a good sounding mic but it's comparing apples to oranges. The MCA SP-1 is a small diaphragm condenser.
Agreed, but they were talking mods...and you could change the element to something bigger. I have an SP-1 also. I did pull the inner mesh from one side only; so I can flop it front to back (the screen) when I want to slightly change the character. Otherwise the mic is stock values. For an SDC/MDC it has a pretty slow transient response though. I can pair it with an LDC and/or use it for LDC duties.

If I was using it as my only mic, it would have to be completely modded. Off axis is pretty different sounding, and whines a little so I have to cut the eq to remove it. I've had 2 sp-1's over the years, and they both whined.
Yeah, I've heard that whine you talk about. Didn't know what to call it but it's there. I guess "whine" is a good way to describe it. I haven't been successful using EQ to try and remove it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, I've heard that whine you talk about. Didn't know what to call it but it's there. I guess "whine" is a good way to describe it. I haven't been successful using EQ to try and remove it.
I may just try and fix it the right way eventually, but I only use it for backround stuff and can eq it enough to not care up until now.

I did put better quality resistors/caps and such in mine...but just stock values. Maybe if I actually pull out my meter I can find the root of the problem!

Back when I bought it, I did find that it's a very close match to the schopes circuit, and can be changed with just a few tweaks. If I end up doing that I'll post up about it.

I'm in the middle of a move, and am still setting up my new space...plus I have to finish up a guitar amp before I start this...may be a month or two.
Old 10th November 2019
Here for the gear

I am interested to buy mxl v67g. made in china. Which copies have better sound: made around 2000 year (beginning of production) or later or last? Were there any changes to the capsule or transformer during production?
Maybe someone was making a comparison? Is the quality of production of microphones from China going up or down?
Old 11th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcgitary View Post
Is the quality of production of microphones from China going up or down?
I can't speak to a 67G specifically, but in general, way up. "Made in China" isn't something you run from any more. In fact IIRC a lot of great gear is made in China now.
Old 11th November 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcgitary View Post
I am interested to buy mxl v67g. made in china. Which copies have better sound: made around 2000 year (beginning of production) or later or last? Were there any changes to the capsule or transformer during production?
Maybe someone was making a comparison? Is the quality of production of microphones from China going up or down?
It depends on the circuit and who makes it honestly. You should be fine buying a new V67G, I liked mine just fine. I no longer have it, but I was in between jobs when I sold it. I wouldn't buy another one, because I personally feel the iSK BM-600 is much better value for your money, but the V67G isn't a bad mic, and the BM-600 costs twice as much as the V67G (worth it for the lower self noise, multiple patterns, pads, and low cut).

Pretty much anything by iSK is good for what you pay. My iSK Pearls are really close to my Oktava MK-012s to my ears, except the Oktavas have much more low end. When I roll off the the low end they sound remarkably similar. The iSK Little Gem is also great for the money because they cost like $50 each when they're in stock, and they're phenomenal for that price. I've heard other small diaphragm mics that cost way more than the Little Gem sound worse or somewhat similar.
Old 13th January 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dohreetoh View Post
It depends on the circuit and who makes it honestly. You should be fine buying a new V67G, I liked mine just fine. I no longer have it, but I was in between jobs when I sold it. I wouldn't buy another one, because I personally feel the iSK BM-600 is much better value for your money, but the V67G isn't a bad mic, and the BM-600 costs twice as much as the V67G (worth it for the lower self noise, multiple patterns, pads, and low cut).

Pretty much anything by iSK is good for what you pay. My iSK Pearls are really close to my Oktava MK-012s to my ears, except the Oktavas have much more low end. When I roll off the the low end they sound remarkably similar. The iSK Little Gem is also great for the money because they cost like $50 each when they're in stock, and they're phenomenal for that price. I've heard other small diaphragm mics that cost way more than the Little Gem sound worse or somewhat similar.
Sorry for digging up an old thread - how do the ISK Pearls stack up to the ISK Little Gems?
Old 13th January 2020 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by weave View Post
Sorry for digging up an old thread - how do the ISK Pearls stack up to the ISK Little Gems?
Pearls are way better. I've sold my Little Gems (real issue was the 24 dBA of noise, though now I have some pretty decent noise removal plug ins, WNS and Z-noise do well enough), but the Pearls are still around. They're kind of like what an Oktava MK-012 sounds like with a low cut applied (they're still a bit brighter but they're close enough considering one costs $200 and one is $30), so a very usable sound (I'm keeping them around so I don't have to buy cardioid MK-012 capsules to use on instruments). The Pearls seem to use a Transound TSB2555 or similar capsule, which is A-OK because it's a good capsule with low self noise. Nothing record breaking, but 16 dBA is quiet enough, especially for a $30 mic.
iSK should make a multipattern version of the Pearl, I'd gladly pay $100/each if they did (they'd be pretty competitive with the MK-012, which is already competitive with mics costing several times more, I like it more than the AT4053b and MKH50). Or they should use a better capsule in the Little Gem, since it's likely the capsule that's noisy (the Pearl and Little Gem circuits look pretty similar, so it's probably capsule quality that makes the difference between them). Strangely enough, the CM-20 line which are standalone versions of the Little Gem (CM-10 in China), which apparently also have a transformer (can't confirm this, gave away my iSK CM20C, couldn't get it open either), only have 20 dB of self noise.

Don't get me wrong, the Little Gems are a great buy for $50 (I'd spring for the CM20s though if I were gonna get a Little Gem again), I just wouldn't use them on vocals or quiet instruments, but I'd use the Pearl on those. If you don't mind the extra processing, you could still use Little Gems, but they need more work to clean up.

I have a sample comparing them in my AT4050 vs LCT 441 thread.

Anyway, best to decide for yourself, but give my samples a listen and let me know what you think in that thread. Download the MK-012 sample and apply a high pass if you want to hear what I mean.

Last edited by Dohreetoh; 15th January 2020 at 09:51 AM..
Old 16th January 2020 | Show parent
Currently working on a CD project. We used the Pearl on all the acoustic guitar tracks. I've never recorded a better sounding acoustic guitar. I would have easily paid $800 to $1,000 for the Pearl. I got it free. Can't remember the isk guy's name but when the Pearl first came out he sent me a free one to demo and said if I like it, let other gear slutz know. I like it. I love it. I won't use any other mic on acoustic guitar.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Currently working on a CD project. We used the Pearl on all the acoustic guitar tracks. I've never recorded a better sounding acoustic guitar. I would have easily paid $800 to $1,000 for the Pearl. I got it free. Can't remember the isk guy's name but when the Pearl first came out he sent me a free one to demo and said if I like it, let other gear slutz know. I like it. I love it. I won't use any other mic on acoustic guitar.
How are you setting up the mic for acoustic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by weave View Post
How are you setting up the mic for acoustic?
About 14 or 15 inches away, angled at the 12th fret. Martin D-18 I think it was. Running it thru ZULU then to a tube preamp.
Old 8th April 2020
Gear Nut

I ****ing love this mic. I'm doing a pop punk record with it and it's just perfect.
📝 Reply