The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rode K2 Capsule “Upgrade” – Thiersch PVC M7 Condenser Microphones
Old 25th March 2013
Gear Head

Rode K2 Capsule “Upgrade” – Thiersch PVC M7

I recently replaced the original Rode capsule within my Rode K2 microphone, for the Thiersch Elektroakustik Bluline PVC M7 capsule. This is supposedly the same type of capsule as in the original (pre-1960) Neumann U47 microphone. About 1960 Neumann ceased producing the PVC M7 capsule, and began production of the K47 capsule, using mylar as the diaphragm material instead of PVC.

The Rode K2 comes with the Rode HF-1 capsule, a 5 micron-thick, dual diaphragm capsule, made of mylar. Rode told me that the polarisation voltage is a maximum of 70V, depending on the pickup pattern selected.

The Thiersch Blueline is a dual-diaphragm capsule made of PVC. I believe M7 capsules in U47 mics normally operate at up to about 66V polarisation voltage.

The K2 is a good mic in my opinion, but I didn’t like some of the harshness from the Rode k2, especially on the ss’s. This becomes more apparent with compression. I was also keen to get some of that more ‘vintage’ sound.

Here’s what I did.

The parts used were:

Thiersch STW7 (Thiersch ‘Blueline’ PVC M7 capsule)
Thiersch STS7 C (ring-shaped capsule HOLDER with a 52mm high rubber base)

I ordered them directly from Thiersch elektroakustik in Germany.

This cost around $400 Australian Dollars. The Rode K2 sells brand-new for about $750 AUD in Australia.

I told Thiersch that I would be using the capsule in a mic with 70V polarisation voltage.

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN TO MY AUDIO SAMPLES - BEFORE AND AFTER THE THIERSCH CAPSULE

Here are the installation instructions for the Rode K2:

Warning: DO NOT TOUCH OR DROP THE CAPSULES. WEAR COTTON GLOVES IF NECESSARY. THESE THINGS ARE FIDDLY!

1) remove the outer cylindrical cover from the Rode K2 body. Then remove the four screws which hold the grille at the top of the mic body. Carefully slide the grille off the top of the mic, exposing the capsule.
2) unsolder the three capsule wires from the top of circuit board (leave the wires attached to the rode capsule). Make sure you write down which solder point should connect to the front, the back, and the centre of the capsule!
5) Remove the rode HF-1 capsule from the plastic stand, by unscrewing the small screws (this prevents damage to the capsule as you do the next steps). Put it somewhere safe for future use!
3) unscrew the four screws which hold the circuit board onto the mic body
4) carefully slide the circuit board out of its metal seating. The top of the circuit board can be completely slid outwards from mic body. (There are still some wires attached at the BASE of the circuit board, so you have to leave that part attached.)
6) Difficult step: remove the plastic Rode capsule holder (it has two legs – see the photo) from the rubber dome. I used a small screwdriver with a sharp head. The glue is very strong, and you need to carefully CUT the plastic legs from the rubber dome, without destroying the dome. (Maybe this glue melts with heat??? I didn’t try).
7) Puncture a small hole through the centre of the rubber dome. Then drill it to enlarge the hole slightly.
8) Attach the Thiersch HOLDER: Put the Thiersch screw through the new hole, from underneath the rubber dome (this is very fiddly!). I used a small washer in between the screw and the rubber, to prevent breaking the rubber. The tip of the screw should be able to just stick through the top side of the rubber dome.
9) Attach the Thiersch HOLDER to the screw, and make sure it is in the right direction. I think the three small screws on the Thiersch holder, should be at the REAR of the capsule (ie AWAY from the Rode gold dot!)
10) After loosening the three screws slightly in the Thiersch holder, carefully place the Thiersch capsule into the holder. Don’t’ touch or break the capsule! Expensive. Make sure the “BACK” of the Thiersch capsule (it is labelled “back”) is at the back of the holder (where the three mounting screws are positioned).
11) Make sure the caposule is sitting neatly in the holder. From the side the capsule looks symmetrical within the Thiesrch Holder. Carefully tighten the three screws to hold the capsule in place.
12) Carefully slide the circuit board back into its place. Solder the three wires from the Thiersch capsule to the CORRECT positions on the circuit board; front, back, and centre. Don’t get them mixed up! (Note: The Thiersch wires were too short! If you order a capsule from Thiersch, ask him to give you double-length wires. I had to connect another small length of wire so that I could reach the circuit board)
13) Check again that the front of the capsule is at the front of the mic! Where the gold dot will be.
14) Reattach the screws to hold the circuit board in place. Put the grille back over the capsule, and put the mic body back on.
15) Warm it up and listen to the results!
Attached Thumbnails
Rode K2 Capsule “Upgrade” – Thiersch PVC M7-k2-hf-1-capsule.jpg   Rode K2 Capsule “Upgrade” – Thiersch PVC M7-k2-thiersch-rear-close.jpg   Rode K2 Capsule “Upgrade” – Thiersch PVC M7-k2-thiersch-rear.jpg   Rode K2 Capsule “Upgrade” – Thiersch PVC M7-k2-wires.jpg  
Old 25th March 2013
cool, but how it sounds now? Do you have any samples before/after?
Old 25th March 2013
Gear interested

Man I got one of these, just got around to changing the tube, but jeez! now i got a summer project hahah.... let us know how it sounds, very interested in doing this...I know i probably missed it but where did you order the parts ???
Old 26th March 2013
Gear Head

Just created a link with the samples!
Old 26th March 2013
Lives for gear

Very cool....ive been wanting to get a K2 to mod (since i love my modded NTK) but i dont think i could be this courageous!
Kudos to you!
Old 8th May 2013

Musicartist,

I commend your effort, but i believe the m7 blue line(awesome, i have one in a mk47) is the wrong capsule for the k2 design which utilized a c12 style capsule stock. I am going to be installing a tim campbell ct12 in my k2 in the next few weeks. i've already modded the mic with a NOS mullard, capacitor upgrades in the mic and power supply. The mods (not including the capsule) made a huge difference in smoothing the harsh thing. I expect the campbell capsule(i believe the best c12 capsule available?)will turn this mic from really very good, to an elite beast, as capsules make a bigger difference in sound than any other mod.

I'll report back when i'm done

T
Old 8th May 2013

well so much for a couple weeks! I installed the ct12 capsule immediately after my last post. I left the mount as is, and center tapped for the tim campbell mount(in case i want to put the old capsule back in). I did some testing through my capi vp28 pre amp, and this thing, as i suspected, is killer now!, i hate to say it sounds more expensive, but it does. My first impression is, a little more vintagey than stock, and sits the quick vocal i did right into my song mix with nothing but some bottom rolled off. i need to swap back in the elna silmic ll capacitors that i had in before, they are really smooth sounding, and they sound better than the nichons to my ears with the stock capsule, they should make this capsule even sweeter still. I will try to post up some samples in a few weeks when i get the elnas back in, and have some time to track for reals
Attached Thumbnails
Rode K2 Capsule “Upgrade” – Thiersch PVC M7-taparoo.jpg   Rode K2 Capsule “Upgrade” – Thiersch PVC M7-posistioned.jpg   Rode K2 Capsule “Upgrade” – Thiersch PVC M7-caparoo.jpg   Rode K2 Capsule “Upgrade” – Thiersch PVC M7-captivating.jpg   Rode K2 Capsule “Upgrade” – Thiersch PVC M7-capacaroo.jpg  

Old 9th May 2013
Gear Head

Thanks for the comments Tonycamp. That info is very helpful.

I think it's fantastic that we're getting some more posts about capsule replacements for the rode k2! Good on you! There seems to be very little written about this on the net... and even fewer audio samples!

I picked the m7 capsule (and the PVC version rather than the mylar) not so much for the "compatibility" aspect, as for the particular sonic character of that capsule - the m7 having it's own distinctive sound, even compared with a c12 type capsule. This was the classic U47 "Sinatra mic" capsule.

Would love to hear some audio samples of your modded k2 mic with everything the same, except for the mic capsule (original capsule vs c12). This would be a great addition/comparison with my "before and after" audio samples with the k2 and m7 capsule.

Would love to have your thoughts on my audio samples.
Old 9th May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicartist View Post
Thanks for the comments Tonycamp. That info is very helpful.

I think it's fantastic that we're getting some more posts about capsule replacements for the rode k2! Good on you! There seems to be very little written about this on the net... and even fewer audio samples!

I picked the m7 capsule (and the PVC version rather than the mylar) not so much for the "compatibility" aspect, as for the particular sonic character of that capsule - the m7 having it's own distinctive sound, even compared with a c12 type capsule. This was the classic U47 "Sinatra mic" capsule.

Would love to hear some audio samples of your modded k2 mic with everything the same, except for the mic capsule (original capsule vs c12). This would be a great addition/comparison with my "before and after" audio samples with the k2 and m7 capsule.

Would love to have your thoughts on my audio samples.
Hi musicartist,
I checked out the examples quickly, they sound good, they are really picking up a lot of room sound. The problem with the m7 blueline in the k2 is, you wont get the most from that capsule as the k2 is designed more as a c12 type circuit, hence the c12 type stock capsule. The blue line would be much better served in a u47 type circuit. The Thiersch blueline is a work of art, and sounds amazing in that mic. If i were you, i'd build a IOaudio mk47, put the m7 in that, and be blown away. Then, order a tim campbell capsule, and throw that in the K2, and be blown away! I recorded some acoustic guitar tonight with the k2 tc capsule in it, and it sounds amazing with 0 eq. Scouped a touch in the midrange just like it's supposed to be, but the extended high end is just friggin sweet and edge free(and i still didn't put the elnas back yet, may not?)

If you haven't swapped your tube yet, do it, and make sure you get something really nice, It makes an enormous difference. I get my tubes from Christian Whitemore at [email protected], he won't send anything that isn't tested to be low noise and great sounding.
Old 9th May 2013
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonycamp View Post
The problem with the m7 blueline in the k2 is, you wont get the most from that capsule as the k2 is designed more as a c12 type circuit, hence the c12 type stock capsule.
How do you figure that? I am under the impression that you get flat capsule/flat circuit and high end boosted capsule/ circuit with feedback/high end roll off included type mic combinations. Basically anything with a K67 style capsule which is overemphasised in the top needs taming back down, but a C12 as an M7 are both flat capsules, so although obviously won't sound the same will be interchangeable, frequency wise in the same flat circuit.

Of course, there is the question whether the K2's original capsule is actually some sort of K67 type and not a real C12 type, which may be the case, then bringing the question has the circuit got a built in top end taming/feedback? Which would then pull top end out of both your CK12 and his M7......

Edit: it isn't a K67 type, as can be seen in the very first pic of the thread....as otherwise it would have centre termination. So likely the circuit is flat, making both M7 or CK12 a valid choice.
Old 9th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
well so much for a couple weeks! I installed the ct12 capsule immediately after my last post. I left the mount as is, and center tapped for the tim campbell mount(in case i want to put the old capsule back in). I did some testing through my capi vp28 pre amp, and this thing, as i suspected, is killer now!, i hate to say it sounds more expensive, but it does. My first impression is, a little more vintagey than stock, and sits the quick vocal i did right into my song mix with nothing but some bottom rolled off. i need to swap back in the elna silmic ll capacitors that i had in before, they are really smooth sounding, and they sound better than the nichons to my ears with the stock capsule, they should make this capsule even sweeter still. I will try to post up some samples in a few weeks when i get the elnas back in, and have some time to track for reals
Avid follower of your work as well as musicartist on the K2 mods.

If you were to assign a number 1-10 on the degree of positive change from mods on the mic (10 being highest), what would you assign to:

Tube Change?
Capsule Change?

You say that it sounds more expensive? How much did the capsule cost? You also say it sits in mix without any adjustment other than rolling off some lows. Does that mean it has more lows, maybe too much? Muddy?
Old 9th May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
How do you figure that? I am under the impression that you get flat capsule/flat circuit and high end boosted capsule/ circuit with feedback/high end roll off included type mic combinations. Basically anything with a K67 style capsule which is overemphasised in the top needs taming back down, but a C12 as an M7 are both flat capsules, so although obviously won't sound the same will be interchangeable, frequency wise in the same flat circuit.

Of course, there is the question whether the K2's original capsule is actually some sort of K67 type and not a real C12 type, which may be the case, then bringing the question has the circuit got a built in top end taming/feedback? Which would then pull top end out of both your CK12 and his M7......

Edit: it isn't a K67 type, as can be seen in the very first pic of the thread....as otherwise it would have centre termination. So likely the circuit is flat, making both M7 or CK12 a valid choice.
The M7 and C12 are completely different in sound and design. The k2 is a circuit designed to work with a c12 type capsule, a m7 is designed for a 47 type circuit. Of course, you are welcome to do whatever you want, but if your looking to get the most out of what the mics and capsules were designed for, and appreciate the originals, then i'd suggest accommodating the circuit with some higher quality components, and not reinventing the wheel so to speak.
Old 10th May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephi82 View Post
Avid follower of your work as well as musicartist on the K2 mods.

If you were to assign a number 1-10 on the degree of positive change from mods on the mic (10 being highest), what would you assign to:

Tube Change?
Capsule Change?

You say that it sounds more expensive? How much did the capsule cost? You also say it sits in mix without any adjustment other than rolling off some lows. Does that mean it has more lows, maybe too much? Muddy?
Hey Ephi82,

I'll try to answer the best i can to my impressions of the stocker vs the mods.

1st, the stock mic was a little harsh in the sibilance frequencies, though still a pretty darn good mic.

2nd, the NOS mullard was huge in taming that harshness

3rd, swapping the cheap electrolytic capacitors with low impedance, low ESR, high quality replacements(power supply and mic), gave the mic a smoother character on top of the tube replacement. At this point, the mic is really, really nice, and a go too for sure.

4th, the Tim Campbell CT12 capsule is the best available C12 on the market IMO(as well as many others), he bought all of AKG's old stock, and they are the original creator of the C12. He is certainly an artist of painstaking perfection. The capsule cost around $350.00, and for lack of a better explination, it makes the mic sound like it belongs on a record.

As far as rolling off on the bottom, i was recording a vocal and a dreadnought acoustic,(edit, Not workin on much sleep!lol, acoustic was last night, the vocal i did the first night, was put into a busy mix, i rolled off at 210hz on that one as needed) in cardoid pattern, hence the roll off. But the mic sounds amazing! The high frequencies sound magical, no ****! Without a doubt, much better than the stock capsule with all the same mods behind it, it's not even close.

hope that helps?

T
Old 10th May 2013

Ok, so i decided to post a sample,

I did not match levels, or parameter control the data to any scientific degree, but it's good enough for the girls i date

recorded at 44.1, 16 bit wave file, 1993 Taylor 710, about 16" away from a Modded K2 with mullard tube, capacitor upgrades, and CT12 capsule, through a capi vp28 preamp into a blacklion digi 002

I high passed @ 80hz on the preamp,
No Eq
No compression
No nothing

I notify of changes in settings as you go through the sample
Note how good my talking voice sounds on the mic??(and i hate my singing and talking voice!)

and finally, please excuse my sorry excuse for guitar playing, i'm not a musician, i'm a drummer

Let me know what y'all think?

Oh yeah, i painted the body, and chromed the head basket because...ugh....

Attached Thumbnails
Rode K2 Capsule “Upgrade” – Thiersch PVC M7-k2-modd-pic.jpg  
Old 10th May 2013
Geariophile

Quote:
The M7 and C12 are completely different in sound and design.
I realise that. They are also both flat designs (unlike a K67), usually matched with a flat amp design, making them in that respect interchangeable for different results, should one not mind about going after the original design direction. I see putting an M7 into a K2 as every bit as valid a thing to do as putting a CK12 in there, depending what sound you fancy. Beings that in the case of a K2 I for one wouldn't give a rat's about the original sonic priority, as the thing sounds less than amazing stock anyway, or else why are we here in the first place.
Old 10th May 2013

Quote:
I realise that. They are also both flat designs (unlike a K67), usually matched with a flat amp design, making them in that respect interchangeable for different results, should one not mind about going after the original design direction. I see putting an M7 into a K2 as every bit as valid a thing to do as putting a CK12 in there, depending what sound you fancy. Beings that in the case of a K2 I for one wouldn't give a rat's about the original sonic priority, as the thing sounds less than amazing stock anyway, or else why are we here in the first place.
ughh, no, not even at all. Fact, the m7 and c12 have completely different frequency response curves, not reminiscent of each other at all. you can look it up easily.
Do what makes you happy though, it's what makes the world go round brother!
Old 10th May 2013
Geariophile

Quote:
ughh, no, not even at all. Fact, the m7 and c12 have completely different frequency response curves, not reminiscent of each other at all. you can look it up easily.
Do what makes you happy though, it's what makes the world go round brother!
Point being they are both matched with a flat amp!! Hence you can swap them, if the polarisation voltage is within what they prefer/how tense you want to run them. Of course they sound different, with the C12 being a lot brighter, hence the choice to go for the a lot more mellow sounding M7 being a valid option.
Old 10th May 2013

Quote:
Point being they are both matched with a flat amp!! Hence you can swap them, if the polarisation voltage is within what they prefer/how tense you want to run them. Of course they sound different, with the C12 being a lot brighter, hence the choice to go for the a lot more mellow sounding M7 being a valid option.
Hmmm, i just built 2 exact replicas, an akg c12 clone, and an mk47=U47 clone w/M7 blueline, w/o vf14 tube. The circuits are completely different, the tranny's are different, different tubes, different voltages, different capacitors, different power supplies, and completely different capsules, and completely different and amazingly complimentary sounds. There is nothing more classic than an acoustic geetar recorded with a c12, and a voice with a U47??
I would never stick a c12 in a u47, or a M7 in a C12. In a cheap chinese circuit, you can throw what ever in it, and it'll sound better. The K2 is a well designed circuit, based around a Ck12 capsule, it just has some less than stellar parts in it. Anyone whose dropped $700+ on a K2, would be well served to improve it and not redesign the wheel. The K2 is not a cheap chinese mic.

But once again, what ever floats your boat is good by me
Old 10th May 2013
Geariophile

You keep missing the point. Both the mentioned capsules are designed to work with a flat eq amp circuit. Hence it is perfectly viable to swap to an M7 even if your personal preference says otherwise. A.d hardly reinventing the wheel. Besides, the circuit in all those cheap chinese mics is no worse, as it's usually a Schoeps ripoff. Merely limited by parts and arguably better than the K2, certainly not worse. The main problem is it is also a flat eq circuit and the chinese put cheap K67 capsules in there, which need a feedback loop or other type of top end roll off to sound right. Hence the harshness. The K2 manages to sound harsh although theoretically the capsule suits the circuit........anyway, whatever mate.

Sent from my GT-I5800 using Gearslutz App
Old 10th May 2013
there's also no transformer in K2 which makes it as close to C12 as to... U47
Old 10th May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
there's also no transformer in K2 which makes it as close to C12 as to... U47
I was thinking about this the about the same thing while reading the back and forth between those two. It didn't appear the K2 was trying to follow the c12 design necessarily, just because of the capsule style. There are cheaper mifcs that seem to be trying for this though.

I have actually seen K2's and NTK's with k47's for sale. Its not like Karloff made this idea up in a fit of insanity. Straying from the original design is getting a more popular. Thus the title of this thread.

Obviously not for everyone. ..
Old 10th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides View Post
I have actually seen K2's and NTK's with k47's for sale. Its not like Karloff made this idea up in a fit of insanity. Straying from the original design is getting a more popular.
...that option, often referred to in DIY circles as "the path of least resistance" mod (made popular by one particular modder)...
Old 10th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Ephi82,

I'll try to answer the best i can to my impressions of the stocker vs the mods.

1st, the stock mic was a little harsh in the sibilance frequencies, though still a pretty darn good mic.

2nd, the NOS mullard was huge in taming that harshness

3rd, swapping the cheap electrolytic capacitors with low impedance, low ESR, high quality replacements(power supply and mic), gave the mic a smoother character on top of the tube replacement. At this point, the mic is really, really nice, and a go too for sure.

4th, the Tim Campbell CT12 capsule is the best available C12 on the market IMO(as well as many others), he bought all of AKG's old stock, and they are the original creator of the C12. He is certainly an artist of painstaking perfection. The capsule cost around $350.00, and for lack of a better explination, it makes the mic sound like it belongs on a record.

As far as rolling off on the bottom, i was recording a vocal and a dreadnought acoustic,(edit, Not workin on much sleep!lol, acoustic was last night, the vocal i did the first night, was put into a busy mix, i rolled off at 210hz on that one as needed) in cardoid pattern, hence the roll off. But the mic sounds amazing! The high frequencies sound magical, no ****! Without a doubt, much better than the stock capsule with all the same mods behind it, it's not even close.

hope that helps?

T
Thanks. After I changed the tube, I became a lot happier with the sound of the K2 for the same reasons you describe.

However, I would like a mic with a little meatier lower end.

Unfortunately, I am not sure I have the "hands" and experience behind a soldering iron to take on the Campbell mod. Knowing me, I'd find some creative way to destroy both the new capsule and some key part of the original K2.

It's been fun to read your adventure. Have fun with your new creation!
Old 10th May 2013

?Am i to believe that rode decided to put their very decent c12 style capsule in the K2 on the flip of a coin? Akg's 414TL should've been stuffed with a mjk47 capsule by this logic. And don't forget to pull the inner mesh out of the headbasket you guys!

The man who designed the nt1 for rode is my neighbor, the story is a classic big business example of taking a great design, and then dumbing it down with cheap parts to reach a price point. If you save $1 on 1,000,000 mic sales, that puts $1 million in the coffers.

My neighbor took my nt1, modded it to be as he originally wanted it, i stuck a tskguy k67 capsule in it. It went from unusable to unreal good!
In regard to the K2, it's much the same story, a very cool design with so so quality on some parts. If you upgrade these parts and don't stray too far from the original design, you'll end up with quite an extraordinary mic.

Did anyone listen to the sample i posted?

good luck and happy recording to all.
Old 10th May 2013

Quote:
Thanks. After I changed the tube, I became a lot happier with the sound of the K2 for the same reasons you describe.

However, I would like a mic with a little meatier lower end.

Unfortunately, I am not sure I have the "hands" and experience behind a soldering iron to take on the Campbell mod. Knowing me, I'd find some creative way to destroy both the new capsule and some key part of the original K2.

It's been fun to read your adventure. Have fun with your new creation!
Hey Ephi,

Thanx man! don't be afraid to get the diy thing going, it's really fun, and you can get your hands on some of what i call the "unobtainiums" for penny's on the $! Since i soldered my first guitar cord together, i've now made replicas of u47, c12, ribbon mics, 1176's, La3a's, di boxes, reampers, api style pre's and eq's, ect. Check out GroupDIY.com, those guys are friggin awesome over there, and really helpful(as long as you aren't lazy). I've built all this stuff in the last year and a half. It takes some commitment, but t's totally achievable, very rewarding, and the sounds resulting from your work are absolutely incredible.

good luck brother
Old 10th May 2013
Geariophile

Quote:
?Am i to believe that rode decided to put their very decent c12 style capsule in the K2 on the flip of a coin? Akg's 414TL should've been stuffed with a mjk47 capsule by this logic. And don't forget to pull the inner mesh out of the headbasket you guys!

The man who designed the nt1 for rode is my neighbor, the story is a classic big business example of taking a great design, and then dumbing it down with cheap parts to reach a price point. If you save $1 on 1,000,000 mic sales, that puts $1 million in the coffers.

My neighbor took my nt1, modded it to be as he originally wanted it, i stuck a tskguy k67 capsule in it. It went from unusable to unreal good!
In regard to the K2, it's much the same story, a very cool design with so so quality on some parts. If you upgrade these parts and don't stray too far from the original design, you'll end up with quite an extraordinary mic.

Did anyone listen to the sample i posted?

good luck and happy recording to all.
You live next to Jim Williams?
Old 10th May 2013

Quote:
You live next to Jim Williams?
Yes sir i do, well, not right next to him, about .5 of a mile, really saves on shipping costs Jim has a serious combination of ears and audio electronics engineering chops that may be unsurpassed? He's really into big, fast, clean phase coherence, and no one iv'e seen does it better? you "should...n't/' hear his preamp sometime, it's invisible!. I have his mod's in my soundcraft delta, and aphex 651's as well as that NT1. I will keep feeding him my channel strips till their all done.
Old 10th May 2013
Geariophile

Quote:
Yes sir i do, well, not right next to him, about .5 of a mile, really saves on shipping costs Jim has a serious combination of ears and audio electronics engineering chops that may be unsurpassed? He's really into big, fast, clean phase coherence, and no one iv'e seen does it better? you "should...n't/' hear his preamp sometime, it's invisible!. I have his mod's in my soundcraft delta, and aphex 651's as well as that NT1. I will keep feeding him my channel strips till their all done.
I regret the day he left this forum. And I still love my Adcom GFA-545 he modded for me. Never selling that one.
Old 10th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Ephi,

Thanx man! don't be afraid to get the diy thing going, it's really fun, and you can get your hands on some of what i call the "unobtainiums" for penny's on the $! Since i soldered my first guitar cord together, i've now made replicas of u47, c12, ribbon mics, 1176's, La3a's, di boxes, reampers, api style pre's and eq's, ect. Check out GroupDIY.com, those guys are friggin awesome over there, and really helpful(as long as you aren't lazy). I've built all this stuff in the last year and a half. It takes some commitment, but t's totally achievable, very rewarding, and the sounds resulting from your work are absolutely incredible.

good luck brother
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll check it out! Heck, if I destroy my K2, its just money right? Truthfully, it would be an adventure to see if I could figure it out.

Question: Does the new c12 capsule give the K2 a meatier/bigger low end? It's what I am looking for.
Old 11th May 2013

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll check it out! Heck, if I destroy my K2, its just money right? Truthfully, it would be an adventure to see if I could figure it out.

Question: Does the new c12 capsule give the K2 a meatier/bigger low end? It's what I am looking for.
@ Ephi82... what pre are you using with it?
Could be a less intrusive way to beef up the sound.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search