The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Power supply for a DBX 242
Old 27th February 2013
Gear Nut

Power supply for a DBX 242

Hi, gearslutz.

I've just bought a DBX 242 in a swap meet for $15 (actually it was $20), so I was looking for a power supply on ebay and I found a supposedly Project 1 gear compatible power supply:

Power supply for a DBX 242Power Supply Compatible w DBX Project 1 242 266 274 286 296 760X 18VAC 800mA | eBay

I just want to make sure if those things really work with the 242, can anyone confirm this?

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th February 2013
Gear Nut

I don't know the answer to your question (seems legit), but I am jealous of that buy. Been looking everywhere for one of those.
Old 28th February 2013
mwe
Gear Head

FWIW, mine came with an aftermarket 1000ma rated P/S.
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Mine came with the one pictured in that auction. It works, but it's clearly not the original. This one's HUGE, and it's labelled "OEM AC Adapter Model AA-1880", as in, OEM is the Brand name lol. Other specs are 18VAC and 800mA. Label shows it is UL listed.

Mine shows 21.99 volts AC on a multimeter, but the regulators inside don't seem to care that it's not 18VAC. Nothing gets too hot, I can sort of touch the regulators with my finger, and I've had it on continuously for several weeks now.

Only problem I've had, besides the huge wall wart, is that the plug doesn't seem to go all the way in. What I mean is that the plug is so long that a bit of it is showing.

I'd suggest that pretty much any 18VAC adapter should work, as long as it's got that same small plug.
Old 4th March 2013
Gear Nut

Great, thanks. I'll buy it and report if it works, same as my $15 242.
Old 4th March 2013
Lives for gear

Great score on the 242! There's a US Robotics power supply that's a direct replacement for the 242 - works great. If I remember correctly, I found them on ebay for about 10-15 bucks each.
Old 4th March 2013
Lives for gear

There's another guy selling some that are $5 + $5 to ship. That's 11 cents more than the other one. Appears to be a different make. I'll try it out and report back if it works on not.

If interested, search on "dbx 242" for either one.
Old 11th March 2013
Lives for gear

got my replacement PSU, the one from Santa Cruz, CA, and it's not what is pictured. It's identical to the one I have, and also outputs 21.9vAC.

Was hoping to get the one pictured since the plug on these don't go in all the way.
Old 11th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymenoptera View Post
got my replacement PSU, the one from Santa Cruz, CA, and it's not what is pictured. It's identical to the one I have, and also outputs 21.9vAC.

Was hoping to get the one pictured since the plug on these don't go in all the way.
See if you can find the US Robotics one I mentioned - it works perfectly. Good luck.
Old 12th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
See if you can find the US Robotics one I mentioned - it works perfectly. Good luck.
Do you remember what model the USR one is originally for? I'm assuming it's for a particular series of network router?
Old 12th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymenoptera View Post
Do you remember what model the USR one is originally for? I'm assuming it's for a particular series of network router?
Sorry, I don't know the model off-hand. I'll see if I can get inside the rack later today or tomorrow and I'll post it here...
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

OK, I got a few minutes to climb behind the rack. Here's some of the info I got off of the adapter:

US Robotics
P/N: 1.015.1202-B
Transformer: T41200500A010G

I remember paying about five to ten bucks each for mine a few years ago on ebay. Just search around and I'm sure you can find 'em. Good luck and hope it helps!
Old 2nd August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
OK, I got a few minutes to climb behind the rack. Here's some of the info I got off of the adapter:

US Robotics
P/N: 1.015.1202-B
Transformer: T41200500A010G

I remember paying about five to ten bucks each for mine a few years ago on ebay. Just search around and I'm sure you can find 'em. Good luck and hope it helps!
Hey so I just bought this power adapter for my DBX 242. Is the 20v ac voltage too much for the DBX’s 18v ac voltage that the DBX requires? Or is it safe to use it long term?

I don’t want to mess up this sweet deal, it was so darn cheeeeap!
📝 Reply