The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pre amp problem Audio Interfaces
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Head

Pre amp problem

I just got the golden age pre 73 recently and right now my vocal chain is mxl v67g to gap73 to fastrack usb interface..... my problem right now is when i sing soft you can barly hear it and when i sing loud it clips.. i cant seem to find a medium volume level.. iv tried messing with the output level on the pre amp and the volum on the fastrack and still cant find a good setting where low singing can be heard and loud singing isnt too loud and clip.. it almost sounds like im singing all over the mic as in like backing away from it and then getting right into the mic when really im staying as still as possible in regards to the mic... i even tried raising the volume so i could sing soft and be heard then when i sing loud i back away from the mic so it doesnt clip but its really noticable that im backing away in the recording....

any help!!
Old 15th February 2013
Gear addict

A compressor after the pre would help your problem.
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Addict

Agree with chout, you need a compressor.
It will boost the lows and cut the highs according to whatever settings you dial in.
I have a DBX160X which is about as basic as compressors get but it does the trick and I always leave it on.
Old 15th February 2013
Gear addict

or pull up a software compressor and mess with one of your vocals you have already done and see what happens. It shoud solve your problem. Most vocals you hear on nearly any recording will have compression.
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

Sounds to me like your gain staging is off too.

Make sure you are going into the line in on the fasttrack, not the mic in. The "line" button should be selected.

Then turn the volume on the interface down and leave it alone - do all of your gain adjusting with the GAP. It should have enough headroom to get a healthy signal without clipping on the loud stuff.

Remember when you're recording in 24 bit digital you don't need to get levels that go almost to the red to get ahold signal. You can stay comfortably in the green/yellow range and be fine.

-Mike
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

I disagree with the comments regarding compression. If you're going from "barely audible" to clipping then a compressor is going to have to be too drastic for most tastes. It is a lazy solution.

Sounds more like you need to simply adjust the gain on your pre separately for quiet and loud passages. Either that or back off for loud passages and get in close for soft passages if keeping the performance flowing is that important to the end result.

Nothing wrong with tracking quiet and loud parts separately.
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chout View Post
or pull up a software compressor and mess with one of your vocals you have already done and see what happens. It shoud solve your problem. Most vocals you hear on nearly any recording will have compression.
But this wouldn't help with the interface clipping.
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
I disagree with the comments regarding compression. If you're going from "barely audible" to clipping then a compressor is going to have to be too drastic for most tastes. It is a lazy solution.

Sounds more like you need to simply adjust the gain on your pre separately for quiet and loud passages. Either that or back off for loud passages and get in close for soft passages if keeping the performance flowing is that important to the end result.

Nothing wrong with tracking quiet and loud parts separately.
I couldn't have said it better myself, so I won't even try.
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
Sounds to me like your gain staging is off too.

Make sure you are going into the line in on the fasttrack, not the mic in. The "line" button should be selected.

Then turn the volume on the interface down and leave it alone - do all of your gain adjusting with the GAP. It should have enough headroom to get a healthy signal without clipping on the loud stuff.

Remember when you're recording in 24 bit digital you don't need to get levels that go almost to the red to get ahold signal. You can stay comfortably in the green/yellow range and be fine.

-Mike
its the basic little fastrack interface.. it only has 3 things 1)says mic gain which is a xlr thing to plug in 2) guitar gain which would fit a basic larger headphone cable 3) headphone jack for headphones... right now i have it in the mic xlr one. looks like this...
Attached Thumbnails
Pre amp problem-gear.png  
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

It sounds like you are running a line level source (out put of the GAP) into a mic level input (XLR in of FastTrack). This is not ideal gain staging. The signal would need to attenuated (padded down) 20 dB or so to be in the useful range of the mic input.

This particular interface doesn't have a line in--just mic and instrument. Bummer.
Old 15th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ears2thesky View Post
It sounds like you are running a line level source (out put of the GAP) into a mic level input (XLR in of FastTrack). This is not ideal gain staging. The signal would need to attenuated (padded down) 20 dB or so to be in the useful range of the mic input.

This particular interface doesn't have a line in--just mic and instrument. Bummer.
any ideas of a decent interface under $300 us dolllars that would go well witht that vocal chain?
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear
Something with a dedicated line in is best.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search