The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Crisp clear sound? DAW Software
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Head

Crisp clear sound?

Iv been trying to figure out how to get that clear professional sound for a very long time and finally found a video to help give a better example of what it is I am asking.. in the link below.. around 1:25 he starts singing and you can hear him singing through the studios monitors and it sounds like what i hear when i record.. but then at 1:39 they play it back and it sounds like what all my recordings sound like..(unprofessional) then at 1:41 the sound of his singing completly changes to a very clear professional sound that I am asking how they turned it from sounding like it does at 1:39 to 1:41.. is it a vocal plug in effect? or are they sending it through a filter or a vocal studio program? how did they make is sound the way it does in 1:41

if anyone knows I appreciate the help!

Video: Studio Session: YG, Tory Lanez & Producer Dj Mustard In The Studio

Last edited by tfabesproduction; 8th February 2013 at 03:10 AM.. Reason: link
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

The sound from 1:25 to 1:41 is captured through the microphone on the camera. Awful. It is band-passed and has a lot of bad room sound in it.

The sound starting at 1:41 is the final result embedded into the video, so it is clean and highly processed.

If your actual recording sounds like the sound between 1:35 and 1:41, then you need to seriously analyze your recording space and/or mic technique. You have some bad room sound in your recordings. What sort of space do you record in? Do you have any room treatment? How close to the microphone do you sing?

If you have bad reverberations and flutter echos in your recording, there is no plugin or hardware processing that will remove then. You need to get a clean recording to begin with to get a clear sound in the end!
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
The sound from 1:25 to 1:41 is captured through the microphone on the camera. Awful. It is band-passed and has a lot of bad room sound in it.

The sound starting at 1:41 is the final result embedded into the video, so it is clean and highly processed.

If your actual recording sounds like the sound between 1:35 and 1:41, then you need to seriously analyze your recording space and/or mic technique. You have some bad room sound in your recordings. What sort of space do you record in? Do you have any room treatment? How close to the microphone do you sing?

If you have bad reverberations and flutter echos in your recording, there is no plugin or hardware processing that will remove then. You need to get a clean recording to begin with to get a clear sound in the end!

i didnt mean it sounds exactly like 135 haha its clear its just not as clear professional as that sounds in 141.. i have a small walk in closet about 8 feet high and 5 by 5 square... i have some acuostic panels on the walls so the room treatment is pretty good not too much echo but not too dead where it actually sounds like a closet..
TFabes's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the world’s sounds

listen to this christmas in the middle of the song or dare to believe cover.. i know its not perfect with the effects i used but for my beginning knowledge with pro tools thats the best i could do haha. but when you say they highly processed, does that mean that they got that very clean professional sound through processing or bouncing with an expensive mp3 converter or something? im pretty new to the recording terms so i appologize if i sound dumb but i just really wanna know how they got the finished product to sound so clear

thanks for the help!

Last edited by tfabesproduction; 8th February 2013 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 8th February 2013
just a suggestion, if you have any other option get out of the closet.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Good performance, proper accoustic, a decent mic/pre, little compression

When mixing, more compression, maybe even some limiting like L1, HP at at around 200hz, maybe some little boost at around 8-10 khz depending on mic, put on some exciter, I like the Aphex 204 cause you can dial in the right sound and harmonics. Experiment.
Thats what I would try
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showcase View Post
Good performance, proper accoustic, a decent mic/pre, little compression

When mixing, more compression, maybe even some limiting like L1, HP at at around 200hz, maybe some little boost at around 8-10 khz depending on mic, put on some exciter, I like the Aphex 204 cause you can dial in the right sound and harmonics. Experiment.
Thats what I would try
thanks for the help!

right now I dont have very high tech equiptment because I just started out a few months ago but right now im using a mxl v67g mic going into golden age pre 73 which goes into fastrack basic small usb interface then computer so I have to make best of what i got.. thanks for your avice ill give it a try!
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Addict

Make sure your input level isn't clipping! :-)
Old 8th February 2013
Gear nut

SSL channel strip (lead vocal preset) into an 1176 comp plugin after hitting your GAP will give you a good starting point.

Maybe an eventide harmonizer-like doubler mixed in a bit on a bus to thicken it up or give that smooth and buttery-ness.
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Head

i have listened to the tracks on your soundcloud-page. you are very talented.

you choice of reverb/ambience and the strong amount of it is what makes it sound "not professional yet".
you seem to like the stereo-effect of those ambience-reverbs a bit too much
make the recording of your voice (and hamonies) good without the effects first.

then maybe use a reverb with a longer decay-time, more dull and waaaayy lower mixed in than you have now.

you will develop an ear for a suiting reverb and how much is too much, this will take some time (listen for it in your favorite references, play around with your reverb-units and understand what they do)

dont think your closet is optimal because you have treated it quite a bit and you dont hear flutter-echos. the problem is more the small size and the resonances it has. very hard to treat.
imagine you are singing inside a beer bottle. no echoes in there, but strange resonating, which ruins the recording.

try to sing a bit the next time you are in a cinema, and you will appreciate the sound of a room which is pretty well treated and has big dimensions.
take a small recorder with you or even use your phone. you will be surprised how good it sounds in comparison to your closet.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear
You can easily make a quick vocal booth with a packing blanket and a boom mic stand formed into a "T". Try that in a decent sized room with the mic facing out (and you facing the blanket) a couple of feet out.
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflection View Post
i have listened to the tracks on your soundcloud-page. you are very talented.

you choice of reverb/ambience and the strong amount of it is what makes it sound "not professional yet".
you seem to like the stereo-effect of those ambience-reverbs a bit too much
make the recording of your voice (and hamonies) good without the effects first.

then maybe use a reverb with a longer decay-time, more dull and waaaayy lower mixed in than you have now.

you will develop an ear for a suiting reverb and how much is too much, this will take some time (listen for it in your favorite references, play around with your reverb-units and understand what they do)

dont think your closet is optimal because you have treated it quite a bit and you dont hear flutter-echos. the problem is more the small size and the resonances it has. very hard to treat.
imagine you are singing inside a beer bottle. no echoes in there, but strange resonating, which ruins the recording.

try to sing a bit the next time you are in a cinema, and you will appreciate the sound of a room which is pretty well treated and has big dimensions.
take a small recorder with you or even use your phone. you will be surprised how good it sounds in comparison to your closet.
thanks for the help! really appreciate it
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGordon84 View Post
SSL channel strip (lead vocal preset) into an 1176 comp plugin after hitting your GAP will give you a good starting point.

Maybe an eventide harmonizer-like doubler mixed in a bit on a bus to thicken it up or give that smooth and buttery-ness.
thanks for your time.. im new to recording terms haha whats GAP?
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Maniac

GAP refers to your Golden Age Pre 73.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear
It would help if you had some vocal in the mix instead of 100% reverb.
Old 8th February 2013
Gear interested

Does it sound just fine soloed, but then lose clarity/etc when trying to sit in the mix?
Old 8th February 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetam View Post
It would help if you had some vocal in the mix instead of 100% reverb.

Yes... and the reverb you have chosen emphasises the "Sssss" - either choose a different reverb or put an EQ before the reverb, and reduce low pass the signal, say from 5K.

...and reduce the amount of reverb by a lot, so you can't really hear it in the mix.

PS put the reverb on an AUX channel, and send your vocal to that AUX.

The example vid you posted - has a lot of high frequency boost - probably 12K boosted 6db or more - try it.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

For "crisp, clear sound", I always recommend not singing with a mouthful of marbles, IMHO. At least that's usually what works for me IMHO, but YMMV.
Old 9th February 2013
Gear Head

thanks for the help guys
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search