The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why is this track mixed with the bass out of the left channel, instead of center?
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

Why is this track mixed with the bass out of the left channel, instead of center?

Ok so,

Obviously they're going for the 60s vibe here. I was deconstructing this recording and noticed that the bass is panned far left. I'm guessing considering the context this is emulating 'mixing for mono' that was done in the 60s because of the one speaker radios people tended to listen to music on at the time. But why is it like this? and how come it works?

Apart from this I notice the voice is off slightly to the left the guitars organs to the far right and backing vocals are basically stereo.

I guess the producer Dave Fridmann either ran it through real tape or used a tape saturation plug in. He probably used a wow and flutter effect too, which is very noticable on the opening vocal line.

Anyone else care to deconstruct this song?

[YOUTUBE]Ok so,

Obviously they're going for the 60s vibe here. I was deconstructing this recording and noticed that the bass is panned far left. I'm guessing considering the context this is emulating 'mixing for mono' that was done in the 60s because of the one speaker radios people tended to listen to music on at the time. But why is it like this? and how come it works?

Apart from this I notice the voice is off slightly to the left the guitars organs to the far right and backing vocals are basically stereo.

I guess the producer Dave Fridmann either ran it through real tape or used a tape saturation plug in. He probably used a wow and flutter effect too, which is very noticable on the opening vocal line.

Anyone else care to deconstruct this song?

Cheers,
Jack

HTML Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wycjnCCgUes
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

Can't get the youtube vidya to show up for some reason :/
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

I can't warch the vid ATM, but that type of panning was really common in the early days of stereo. No one new how to use it to its "best" yet. Said differently, there were no norms in place, they were still inventing the norms as they went. Check out some of the Beatles tunes and you'll hear even weirder panning choices.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search