The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum Mic OH Suggestions for a 4 mic set up.. (Glyn Johns Style) Condenser Microphones
Old 7th January 2013
Here for the gear

Drum Mic OH Suggestions for a 4 mic set up.. (Glyn Johns Style)

Hey everyone,

looking for a pair of decent over head mics for my recording set up. Right now im looking at a 4 mic Glyn Johns/Recorderman type set up for some basic demo and soundtrack work. I've only just started recording drums after a few years of recording only guitars for my demo work so my plan is to start out with a 4 mic set up and eventually upgrade and grow from there.

right now i've got an sm57 on the snare and an akg d112 for the kick drum. Now i need 2 decent OH (side and above the snare) mics for the rest of set up. I have heard that large condensers are better for this application but I've read countless suggestions but am kind of lost on which ones to actually get.

Im recording mostly indie rock type drums and want something with a nice open sound. Clean and really huge sounding. (dont know if i could get anymore cliche with that). Looking at about a 300$ish New budget for each mic but don't mind spending a little more depending on quality.

any suggestions? BTW im posting this in a few other forums, but thought i would get everyones take on the situation.

thanks!

btw.. first time posting on GS, but im a harmony central regular. If you think id have better luck posting this in a different section please let me know.
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

The possibilities are nearly endless in the low end drum overhead category. I bought a pair of Studio Projects B1 mics years ago, and still use them. They do the job nicely for me. I've heard many other samples of low cost LDC and SDC that sound great for home studio use.
Aric
Old 7th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchijin2 View Post
The possibilities are nearly endless in the low end drum overhead category. I bought a pair of Studio Projects B1 mics years ago, and still use them. They do the job nicely for me. I've heard many other samples of low cost LDC and SDC that sound great for home studio use.
Aric
This is a good mic, as is the Kel HM2D. Both mics are versatile enough to be used on many other sources (voice, guitar, etc.).
Old 7th January 2013
Here for the gear

I recently just did something like this. We built about 4-5 bass traps did a 2'x4' box and filled them with owens corning 703 insulation (local homedepot) and placed them around the room with a couple mattresses and heavy blankets. It worked out pretty well.

We also purchased 2 Audio Technica 2035 large condenser mics that were about $125 each and sounded great for low end overheads.

We did the recorderman mic technique and it worked out really well.
Old 7th January 2013
Here for the gear

good day sir

until recently i was recording drums with only four inputs at my disposal.
like you i went for the d112 on the kick and the sm57 on the snare.

for overheads i trialled a pair of rode nt5s.
i thought they were lacking a bit of body on the toms and were too bright.

then i trialled a pair of oktava mk012.
i found these to be most satisfactory - more low end from the toms and the cymbals without the brittle sound of the nt5s.

i could not trial anymore mics at this point and went for the mk012s.
i'm still very happy with my purchase and use them as OH, as well as on acoustic guitar, violin etc, as well as with the omni caps as room mics sometimes (again they are very capable to my years for this application).

i believe the mk012 should be in your price range too.

all the best to you
Old 7th January 2013
Here for the gear

ps. there is a very well regarded mod available for the mk012 (oktavamod.com), which apparently takes this mic to the next level in terms of sound quality!

...perhaps something to consider if you were thinking about the mk012... i know i am very tempted!
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Coles 4038 is a great choice, its my go to these days.
They seem to "play nice" with the cymbals, snare and toms.
More importantly the tracks blend/mix well with the other tracks - bass, g, vox etc.
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear is cool View Post
Coles 4038 is a great choice, its my go to these days.
They seem to "play nice" with the cymbals, snare and toms.
More importantly the tracks blend/mix well with the other tracks - bass, g, vox etc.
I wish 4038's were $300...

Seriously, though. There are a lot of decent LDC's that will work in that price range - particularly used. I've used/heard good examples of Kel, CAD, Advanced Audio, Audio Technica, etc. Check out this shootout: Best $200 Drum Overhead Mic | recording hacks

Ribbons work well for Glyn Johns/ Recordman setups in nice rooms. There are a number of workable cheap ribbons nowadays too.
Old 7th January 2013
Here for the gear

Wow this forum is awesome... thanks for all the suggestions guys. Time to sit down and go through each one and try to make a decision. I might try to buy some of these used which makes my budget a little larger so i will hopefully be able to play around with some different techniques too.

anyone else out there?
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Overhead mics don't NEED to be LDC either IMO.Try some good dynamics as well
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

The Oktava and Audio Technica mics would be good starting places to look at. Basically you want a mic that has a smooth top end. It's better to boost these frequencies than to try to cut out the harshness. My preferred mic for this application in this price range is the Oktava MK-012. I also like the AT 4033. Both can be had used in your range. Another good option would be the Apex 205, but those are ribbon microphones, which means they're fragile, require a lot of gain, and will expose the flaws of a bad room since they're Figure 8 patterned. In any event, those are my top choices for the money in overheads.
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlheinz View Post
Overhead mics don't NEED to be LDC either IMO.Try some good dynamics as well
I just did a drum session using a pair of AKG d120 dynamics as the OH pair.
Don't discount dynamics, esp if you want a closer reach on the mic, and a slightly tighter focus on the kit. I paired the d120s with an unmodded mono oktava mk219 set way back to get the room splash; very trashy, and worked nicely to give the kit some air overtop the OH pair.

Here's a clip of the drums; 30 sec WAV;

Kick = KEL Hm7u
Snare = beta 57
OH = 2 x AKGd120
Room = oktava mk219

http://www.boschen.org/Kit.wav

I like dynamics!
Old 8th January 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boschen View Post
Don't discount dynamics, esp if you want a closer reach on the mic, and a slightly tighter focus on the kit. I paired the d120s with an unmodded mono oktava mk219 set way back to get the room splash; very trashy, and worked nicely to give the kit some air overtop the OH pair.

Here's a clip of the drums; 30 sec WAV;

Kick = KEL Hm7u
Snare = beta 57
OH = 2 x AKGd120
Room = oktava mk219

http://www.boschen.org/Kit.wav

I like dynamics!
that sounds great!

right now im starting to settle into the idea of a mix of the Oktavas and a Kel or two. great suggestions everyone
Old 8th January 2013
Here for the gear

I recorded all the drums on this album, https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/br...ll/id504578874 , with just 2 SE4400A's. We wanted a really old feel and sound to the the drums. You need to do loads of EQing and compressing but it turned out sounding fantastic.

I used the recorderman technique, a mic 2 sticks height from the snare above the drummers head and a mic over his right shoulder pointing at the kick and 2 sticks distance from the snare.

Really pleased with the result.

Im in the middle of recording a session with 4 mics, 57 on the snare, d112 on kick and the SE4400's as overheads again. They are quite top end sounding so you dont have to add much top end EQ

Last edited by MobAcoustic; 8th January 2013 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: missed out number of mics
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boschen View Post

Omni Dynamics are the bomb-diggity.

Omni mics in general are great - the lack of proximity effect and off-axis colouration can be a real blessing. Haven't gotten a chance to use my 635a or my ECM 8000 as an OH mic yet, but I'm gonna!
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh33 View Post
that sounds great!

right now im starting to settle into the idea of a mix of the Oktavas and a Kel or two. great suggestions everyone
Thanks!
Once you set yourself free to experiment, and just go after sounds, all sorts of interesting possibilities open up.
I think I need to give mid/side a go.
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post
I wish 4038's were $300...

Sorry I missed the OP's budget...
Old 8th January 2013
Gear Addict

Pair of Fat Head ribbons. Here's a Glyn Johns with Fat Heads, 57 on snare, and a L47 on outside kick.
Kissingpotion.bandcamp.com

I use a mono Victor from Cascade and always like the result.
Old 8th January 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmoose View Post
Pair of Fat Head ribbons. Here's a Glyn Johns with Fat Heads, 57 on snare, and a L47 on outside kick.
Kissingpotion.bandcamp.com

I use a mono Victor from Cascade and always like the result.
ahh man that sounds great. Ill check into the fat heads and the L47.

really starting to thing of splurging and adding the oktava mk-012s to the arsenal. Those fat heads sound really good though. ill have to look into them more!

thanks!
Old 8th January 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobAcoustic View Post
I recorded all the drums on this album, https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/br...ll/id504578874 , with just 2 SE4400A's. We wanted a really old feel and sound to the the drums. You need to do loads of EQing and compressing but it turned out sounding fantastic.

I used the recorderman technique, a mic 2 sticks height from the snare above the drummers head and a mic over his right shoulder pointing at the kick and 2 sticks distance from the snare.

EQ
Very nice MobAcoustic, these drums sound awesome!

I had the pleasure to use a pair of 4400s (as a spaced pair at the front of a small stage) to record a small jazz group and a small group of harpists in a medium sized hall recently.

I was most impressed with these mics; infact i preferred them to sound of the akg414s we had up, which, I think, lacked a bit of detail at distance from sound source.

all the best to ya!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search