KRK Rokit 6 Gen 2 Tweeter issue
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

KRK Rokit 6 Gen 2 Tweeter issue

So I've read some really unfortunate threads that seem to dab around a similar issue I have, but none really hit the nail on the head.

I have two Rokit 6's Gen 2 I bought back in February. and from the get-go one of them had a tweeter issue, where it would randomly loose the high-end and would only come back if I fiddled with the off/on switch. So I immediately brought that one back as soon as the issue started. Now fast forward about 60 days after the 30-day exchange expires, the second one I didn't replace starts doing it as well.

Eventually the issue became less frequent to basically non-existent.

Then two days ago, while in the mix this god awful buzzing sound comes from my right speaker. It basically sounded like someone sampled a cheesy execution scene from an old movie, electric chair buzz and all, except at +20 dB. Immediately I shut down the monitor and unplugged it, and noticed what smelled like a mild plastic burn odor emanating from the tweeter region.

I just figured at this point the tweeter blew. So I called up Gibson and requested a replacement one be sent out under warranty.

Well today curiosity got the best of me and I decided to toss the other tweeter from the good one on this guy, low and behold the awful buzzing started as soon as I powered on. Immediately powered off and made sure I didn't kill that tweeter as well by putting it back in its original.

I have no idea what's going on with this monitor, any thoughts?
Old 31st December 2012
First off, exercise the high freq contour switch by rotating it back and forth for several seconds.

Power up with the gain off and bring it up slowly and have a listen.

If it is still "fizzlimg", you could have a bad transistor in the high freq amplifier.
Topic:

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search