The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Try To Beat The SM7b Dynamic Microphones
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
What type of vocals where cut?

I've always found the SM7b to be one of the smoothest, richest sounding mics Ive ever worked with. Maybe some folks need to work on better singing/mic technique? The SM7b gives out what's put in.
As I have said previouisly, I like the sm7. But there is so much over blown hype round them on this forum. It's like there's an sm7 defenders club or something attempting to convert everyone to think it's the holy grail of vocal mics. BUt......
Smooth...yes.
Rich....that's not how I'd describe it.
If you want rich, then you get a condensor mic. If you want detail,,,,,you get a condensor mic.
If you want to shave off the sparkly detail and the richness of a voice...then you use an sm7.
The sm7 gives you what you put in.......in a kind of mid-rangey, kind of detail lossy sort of way. A good condensor mic keeps the detail that the sm7 loses. If you want breathiness, up closeness, detail.......you don't choose an sm7.

Now...sometimes the sm7 type of treatment is exactly what's needed. Sometimes it's not.

They can be nice on guitar amps, bass amps and other instruments. Often nice on spoken radio type vocals too. Sometimes work well on a singing voice...but many times they just aren't right too.
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcaseal View Post
im not surprised hes using that mic for the songs i just browsed through, lol. they added a ton of processing to his vocals and he's singing really soft almost panzy like (couldnt help it sorry lol) also did he just switch to another mic at 3:05? LOL
Lol people still say Panzy? :rolleyes:
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

Id say that ^^^ is a spot on assessment, Rocksure. Everyone knows how great this mic is on screaming rock vocals and the reason is the shaving of the harsh frequencies at the top of the range. No eq needed and that is a good thing. Trying to eq a mic into something it's not introduces phase issues and a whole host of problems.

On that note, as I understand it, the whole Thriller album was recorded on that mic. This is one of my all time favorite albums. It works perfectly on most of Jacksons tunes but I often wonder how much better tunes like Lady In My Life would have been if the Sweed had thrown up one of his 47's instead on those type of tunes.
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

In my opinion, having great talent and a great engineer, almost any microphone would sound as good or better than the SM7 in most applications. I'm listening to Thriller as I type this. I own two SM7 microphones and I still say that they are unduly influenced by Internet hype.

Dennis
Old 31st October 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:

[...] The SM7b gives out what's put in.
No it doesn't, and that's why people love it.
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

Good points. I guess when I say the SM7b sounds "rich", I mean that it has a thickness and depth going on that I seldom get from condensers in that price range. A lot of condensers, to my ears, sound thin compared to the SM7b. Cheaper condensers can sound slick and polished, true, but often sound 2D. When I record a vocal with the SM7b, it just pops out in a very enjoyable 3D kind of way. Captures plenty of detail to my ears. I'm not sure what folks are talking about when they say this mic doesn't get enough detail. I compared a vocal take with the SM7b to a vocal recorded through my Sure KSM27 and noticed just a touch more detail on the condenser, but not night and day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksure View Post
As I have said previouisly, I like the sm7. But there is so much over blown hype round them on this forum. It's like there's an sm7 defenders club or something attempting to convert everyone to think it's the holy grail of vocal mics. BUt......
Smooth...yes.
Rich....that's not how I'd describe it.
If you want rich, then you get a condensor mic. If you want detail,,,,,you get a condensor mic.
If you want to shave off the sparkly detail and the richness of a voice...then you use an sm7.
The sm7 gives you what you put in.......in a kind of mid-rangey, kind of detail lossy sort of way. A good condensor mic keeps the detail that the sm7 loses. If you want breathiness, up closeness, detail.......you don't choose an sm7.

Now...sometimes the sm7 type of treatment is exactly what's needed. Sometimes it's not.

They can be nice on guitar amps, bass amps and other instruments. Often nice on spoken radio type vocals too. Sometimes work well on a singing voice...but many times they just aren't right too.
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good points. I guess when I say the SM7b sounds "rich", I mean that it has a thickness and depth going on that I seldom get from condensers in that price range. A lot of condensers, to my ears, sound thin compared to the SM7b. Cheaper condensers can sound slick and polished, true, but often sound 2D. When I record a vocal with the SM7b, it just pops out in a very enjoyable 3D kind of way. Captures plenty of detail to my ears. I'm not sure what folks are talking about when they say this mic doesn't get enough detail. I compared a vocal take with the SM7b to a vocal recorded through my Sure KSM27 and noticed just a touch more detail on the condenser, but not night and day.
I listened to your finished Colorado song on your link. That drum program really makes a difference huh?! Sounds great man
Old 31st October 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks, man! Feel free to download the whole record. It's free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer View Post
I listened to your finished Colorado song on your link. That drum program really makes a difference huh?! Sounds great man
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear
How many people would describe Michael Jackson's voice as anything other than EXTREMELY distinctive. Ok, so the Sm7 sounds good on him. How in the hell does that necessarily help the rest of us?!

I think the Sm7b is a nice sounding mic. Even a really great mic for the price. Let's face it- you can make a record with it and people do all the time. I just don't feel like it's a vocal 'nuance catcher'. It's more of a "let's get this vocal tracked with less fuss and move on" kinda mic. I really do think there are times when it just works fantastic, but it is really not "the one mic to rule them all" by any stretch.
Old 1st November 2012
Gear nut

The requirements

Quote:
no clicks from mouth noise
and

Quote:
clarity
detail
run counter to each other.

My best vocal mics capture mouth noises, clicks, throat openings, lip smacks with great clarity and detail. I find such noises make the vocal recording come to life and sound real and convey emotion more effectively. I say keep them in.
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

I know I've been singing the praises of the SM7b for sometime now, but I gotta say it: I found a mic that beats it on vocals.

Ready????

Audio Technica 4047. With this mic, you get some of that sweet thickness and rolled off top end I've always liked about the SM7b, but less mud and more detail and clarity.

Love, love, love this new AT4047 of mine....got it used for 350 bucks!
Old 8th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know I've been singing the praises of the SM7b for sometime now, but I gotta say it: I found a mic that beats it on vocals.

Ready????

Audio Technica 4047. With this mic, you get some of that sweet thickness and rolled off top end I've always liked about the SM7b, but less mud and more detail and clarity.

Love, love, love this new AT4047 of mine....got it used for 350 bucks!
Oh brother......here we go again...sorry. No disrespect meant here, but perhaps if you were to add the words "on my voice" it may help to keep this balanced. Again, there is no perfect mic "one fits all solution". It may be awesome on YOUR VOICE (and many others too), but it won't be best for every Tom, Dick and Harriet, or every type of song.
It can very easily become a case of "the latest toy" is the "greatest toy" scenario. Enjoy your 4047....you've basically come to the conclusion that sometimes a condensor mic works better than a dynamic mic...which brings this whole argument full circle and illustrates what I've tried to state earlier.
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

I'll come clean...this is Gearslutz and I love my audio toys!
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo View Post
How many people would describe Michael Jackson's voice as anything other than EXTREMELY distinctive. Ok, so the Sm7 sounds good on him. How in the hell does that necessarily help the rest of us?!

I think the Sm7b is a nice sounding mic. Even a really great mic for the price. Let's face it- you can make a record with it and people do all the time. I just don't feel like it's a vocal 'nuance catcher'. It's more of a "let's get this vocal tracked with less fuss and move on" kinda mic. I really do think there are times when it just works fantastic, but it is really not "the one mic to rule them all" by any stretch.
Exactly. As for MJ, there are sometimes I listen to his slower songs and actually think the Vocal HF is a little harsh in places. I don't know if he used the SM7 on everything, but when I listen to "I Can't Help It", it stands out.

I have no idea how the mic selection process went with MJ and whether he went through U47/67/87's and C12/414's before he came to the SM7 or whether the SM7 was just plonked in front of him and he stuck with it, but the hype we now have around this mic is over the top for me. It is a good mic and as guitarboy94 has put it, it does have a thickness to it which is pleasing so some vocals, but there are so many other mics to choose from, which also have this element and much more, so why always the SM7? Again, name bombing guitarboy94 AGAIN, I agree, I think the AT4047 has the thickness but brings more to the table, such as it's smoothness.

Is price a factor when it comes to the SM7? The fact that it does bring alot of mic to the table for little money and is accessible by far more people? Would we continue to recommend it to everyone's dog and uncle if it was 2k?
Old 9th November 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier View Post
Is price a factor when it comes to the SM7? The fact that it does bring alot of mic to the table for little money and is accessible by far more people? Would we continue to recommend it to everyone's dog and uncle if it was 2k?
Well, the 57/58 is even cheaper and can do a very similar job to the SM7, especially with a little EQ to tame the shoutiness. I think the SM7 is actually overpriced...
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenarne View Post
Well, the 57/58 is even cheaper and can do a very similar job to the SM7, especially with a little EQ to tame the shoutiness. I think the SM7 is actually overpriced...
Well, they can do almost exactly the same job without EQ, when modded with good transformers or even when their transformers cut out. Modded all 57/58 in our studio, so now they're the most versatile mics i've ever heard.
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

If you've got a thin voice, the SM7 is a great choice.
If your voice is full and robust, then a condenser mic is a must.
Old 11th January 2017
Here for the gear

@zvukofor I would love to learn more about these mods. thanks
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear
I bought my SM7b in 07, and it’s been one of my top go-to mics ever since. To get the most out of it, however, either a high headroom pre or Cloud Lifter are required. I have a CL, and that really brings it to life.

No hype here, however. Look, it’s a tool and a good one at that; yet, it’s not going to polish a turd, and it’s not always my first vocal option. I’ve never put it on a source and thought “that really sucks,” but sometimes other mics (LDCs) are better options. Sometimes the SM7b is “the one.” But, it is one of those mics that I could probably make an entire record with on a shoestring budget. The Blue Bluebird is another one of those mics too.

There are so many great mics out there today though at the SM7b price point that I can’t say it’s “the best’ value. It’s certainly a great value IMO considering what you get in terms of an extremely versatile and nice sounding dynamic microphone.

CJ
Old 11th January 2017
yeah I agree my comparisons to the SM7 (great mic and build) sounds similar to the cheaper 57/58. Theres something to be said for the build cost of the SM7 and extra cost is justified imo. That netal grill, the filter switching, the holder, the foam pieces (that rot away fairly quickly) all adds to the cost.

but...after a long while in my HR hobbit hole, with the SM7, returning to a LDC was like wow! what crisp highs and beauty, almost making the SM7 sound blah and muffled.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear
Try to beat an SM7b? That's easy, I just have to find the nearest wall.. Ha, someone dragged this thread back.. SM7B threads are always fun :D.

If you're a beginner or tracking a lot of rock / metal / live recording, I do tend to recommend the SM7b. They are probably one of the handiest mic's to have around, but apart from that, every clip I've heard, every song I've tracked with it the results are consistently mediocre. Definatley not the worst sounding mic and definatley not the best.

You get consistent useable takes pretty much on near enough everything you stick it on, but as my mic locker grew it got kind of got shoved to the back.
Old 11th January 2017
Gear Head
I'll jump into this zombie thread, one of my favorite mics, especially for loud a$$ singers.......

The Peavey PVM 520i
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCrofford View Post
@zvukofor I would love to learn more about these mods. thanks
Well, that's simple:
You just need to pull transormer out of the sm57.
Carefully unscrew top part with capsule and grill, unsolder it. Unscrew and unsolder XLR socket (actually, you need to screw the bolt in, then just pull the XLR).
Then put the part where transformer is glued inside to boiling water for couple of minutes. Get ot from water and just pull transformer by it's wires out (to the wider side) Use kitchen mittens! Then you can just solder capsule directly to XLR. Done! You loss about 6dB of level and get nicier frequency response.
Old 12th January 2017
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's giving me what I want but is this really it? Things I want in a mic:

no "warm" sound jesus christ that stuff...
Huh? 7b is maybe one of the darkest mics I've ever used, which would be considered a warm sound to many...

This fact is the reason I only run it through clear, clean highheadroom mic amps and not darker wooly ones (610 for eg...bleh)
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Oh boy, a resurrected SM7b thread! Decent mic, to me it sounds like the world's biggest, smoothest 58. Certainly has it's uses, usually when you _don't want too much detail, and want some proximity effect type "warmth" without getting too boomy.
Some singers feel very comfortable singing into it, that's a plus.
It's not sibilant on most singers, another plus.
I don't find the rejection all that great.
Low output, I usually use a Cloudlifter with it.
Not in the class of the 441, not even close IMHO.
I prefer the RE20 usually as well.
Decent value, especially in size for the buck.
I'd guess the big popfilter that comes with it is the most unused piece of gear in audio history. Anybody ever use that?
um, that's about it. my 2c. had to chime in, after all, it's GS, and it's the SM7b!
Old 12th January 2017
Gear Head

Big pop filter is great over a U67/87...

I've used it on some filmed live sessions where we didn't want a conventional 'pop-screen' in shot.

Reckon I got the idea from an old John Lennon video!
Old 12th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

I've used it on some filmed live sessions where we didn't want a conventional 'pop-screen' in shot.

Coo'eelll! thanks!
Old 13th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Yes - thanks!

(I always had a feeling that if I carefully read every SM7B thread, one happy day it would pay off )
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

MD441-N and MD421-N beat it all the time here... I was even considering selling it, but it finds its use from time to time...
Old 23rd January 2017
Lives for gear

Microphone choice is so personal, it really depends on the charachter of the sound you feed into it. SM7b is great on many sources but on my voice it really brings out everything I don't like. The RE20 does the complete opposite and is the best mic I've tried on my voice. On many other voices I'd choose the opposite.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search