The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reason 3 Equivalent or better DAW Software
Old 10th July 2006
Gear Maniac

Reason 3 Equivalent or better

I've been using Reason 3 now for a long time and have gotten tired of it. I use it alot for crazy piano tones, pads, synths and drum loops. I've exhausted everything in 3. I want a similar program that can run through an Aux track in Pro Tools. Anything out there thats similar or just DESTROYS reason?
Old 10th July 2006
Lives for gear

Did you have a look at Ableton Live? It's a different animal to Reason, a different way of working. I wouldn't say that it killed Reason but it's certainly a different perspective on music making - the workflow is very intuitive, geared more towards improvising with loops and creating on the fly.
Old 10th July 2006
Gear Maniac

hmm I think I have a demo of that laying around somewhere. I'll give that a try! Thanks!
Old 10th July 2006
Lives for gear

I think it is tough to find an all-in-one unit like Reason 3.
If you have exceeded Reason 3 and want some software solution, I think you're looking at a combination of 3 or 4 programs.
My suggestions (like you haven't already thought of them)--
1) Kontakt 2
2) Reaktor 5
3) Absynth 3
4) BFD with Deluxe add-on.
That oughtta get you started.
Reaktor 5 if the biggest beast of them all.
Kontakt 2 is a good sampler. Reaktor 5 is a good modular synth. Absynth 3 is the **** for good pads.
Or you could wait for Reason 4.
I also use Live 5 (sometimes within Cubase SX3). Live 5 is very good for how easy it is, but I don't think this will satisfy you if Reason 3 is not.
Old 10th July 2006
Here for the gear

what he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recording David
Did you have a look at Ableton Live? It's a different animal to Reason, a different way of working. I wouldn't say that it killed Reason but it's certainly a different perspective on music making - the workflow is very intuitive, geared more towards improvising with loops and creating on the fly.
I second...
Old 11th July 2006
Gear Maniac

I'm a little leary of the Nativeinstrument stuff because what I've heard of sample is very electronica/techno stuff. Not very usable "live" sounding samples. Am I wrong?
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

hmmm...what constitues a non-electronic sounding sample? What do you have in mind...

I got the native b4 and absynth...There both ridiculous...I would be lost without them...I cant believe some of the **** that comes out of absynth...Perfect pads....
Old 11th July 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneroses6300
hmmm...what constitues a non-electronic sounding sample? What do you have in mind...

I got the native b4 and absynth...There both ridiculous...I would be lost without them...I cant believe some of the **** that comes out of absynth...Perfect pads....
I said "electronica" like the style of music. Very over processed low bandwidth, highly filtered dance music style. Thats what I meant.

Thats cool about the Absynth though. I'll look into it.
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRigaletto
I've been using Reason 3 now for a long time and have gotten tired of it. I use it alot for crazy piano tones, pads, synths and drum loops. I've exhausted everything in 3. I want a similar program that can run through an Aux track in Pro Tools. Anything out there thats similar or just DESTROYS reason?

um... more samples? there are gigs and gigs (i have at least 11G's) of samples for Reason, it's difficult to find you exhausting everything..

fwiw, Reason 3's only out for about a year.

not much alternatives.. start looking at hardware version of each rack unit then.
Old 11th July 2006
Gear Addict

There's nothing that really replaces Reason right now. You should look into adding more samples/refills.

By the way, even though you're not looking for synth sounds, Absynth is amazing.
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

Sync up Logic Pro to Protools and use it's synths and samplers, etc..
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon
Sync up Logic Pro to Protools and use it's synths and samplers, etc..
how?
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
here's nothing that really replaces Reason right now.
ORION is very underated imo, but a great 'Reason' style s/w
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012
By the way, even though you're not looking for synth sounds, Absynth is amazing.
And on sale. Down to around $150 new most places.

But you're right: Absynth and Reaktor are very much electronica instruments.

I agree with some of the other posters. Invest in more Reason Refills if you're comfortable with Reason 3 as a composition tool.
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted
how?
Just sync it up via midi, and either route the audio internally, or just use some sort of loopback system to pull it into protools. You can also slave the clocks together or whatever you like.

I'd probably run with with Protools and just leave all the faders at zero in Logic and PT and just use different I/O to send them out to the console. Just treat it like any other rack of synths that you'd use, or another tape machine.
Old 11th July 2006
Gear Addict

Stylus RMX with a bunch of rex files in it.
Old 11th July 2006
Lives for gear

You could always MAKE your own samples too....get them to sound how you want before loading them in Reason, and there is less screwing around in reason todo.

BTW, been using reason since 1.0!

sdf
Old 12th July 2006
Here for the gear

I use Steinberg's Hypersonic instead of Cubase->Rewire->Reason these days, mainly because of the unreliability of the combination.

Hypersonic can't do everything that Reason can (obviously) but you can generate the same sort of soundsets, and it has fairly powerful effect chaining.
Old 12th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRigaletto
maybe you have exhausted everything...and I don't mean to be a jerk...but Reason seems inexhaustible since you can import your own samples or just find new patches out there...there are so many users with free ones. I get tired of it because of it because it is just not like working with real knobs on a hardware device. I have been borrowing a novation station from a friend and find the workflow so much quicker. Anybody use anything like the novation station?
Old 24th July 2006
Here for the gear

I'm in the exact same position as you at the moment. I've used reason ever since v1, and I recently have decided it does not sound good enough for me. I'm seriously looking into the Native Instruments stuff. I downloaded the demo versions, and have been blown away. I'm a sound slut, and with NI I have finally been able to do things I have never been able to do "easily" with reason. Kontakt 2 sounds way better than the NNXT. I love Kontakt's ability to create chord and harmony structures off a root note. Also, absynth sounds almost like an acoustic instrument rather than an electronic one. Like the Bassoon spread patch, sounds like a processed bassoon. Oh, and the available sample libraries for Kontakt are insane! Reason does not stand a chance, plus all the tech awards NI has won. As for working with Pro Tools, seamless, NI works just like a plug-in, and I love sequencing in pro tools way better than reason anyway. My only problem is cpu drain.
Listen for yourself.
www.native-instruments.com
http://www.native-instruments.com/in...id=kontakt_us#
http://www.vsl.co.at/en-us/65/71/214.vsl
Old 24th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-slice
Oh, and the available sample libraries for Kontakt are insane! Reason does not stand a chance, plus all the tech awards NI has won.
since when did anybody started to care about tech awards? are these ppl for real?

Reason have a pretty respectable sample library size, if you look around.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search