The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Electronics for noobs
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Nut

Electronics for noobs

So I've been reading up some on the 1176 kit from Hairball
Hairball Audio
and it's something I'd love to do.
I studied electronics as a single modual of a course but only enough to make you handy with a soldering iron and build a DI, the basics really. So I reckon this build is way over my head.
What I'm wondering is, is there any good starter builds for audio stuff like this? I'd love to get more into the electronics of how this stuff works and build some nice pieces of gear while I'm at it!
Please suggest any good reads or kits on this stuff if you know of any!

Thanks!

Peter
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear
I think that the 1176 isn't that difficult to build, especially if you buy it as a kit.
If you're in doubt, you can always check component datasheets and similar documents on the internet.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

This site is a great resource with kits and projects galore.

Prodigy Pro

My first build was a pair of Luny LA4's. I love them, but when I started I had basic knowledge, so they did take quite a bit of time. The 1176 project is really well documented, so you have all kinds of help resources at your fingertips. Not too mention Mnats site which has step by step build and troubleshooting guides.

mnats.net

I haven't built an 1176, but from what I have read, the toughest thing about them is calibration and wiring.
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Nut

Wow that mnats site is great. Think I'll go for this! thanks! I think I know what I'm getting for Christmas now!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search