The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Versatile Vocal Microphone
Old 2nd August 2012
Gear Head

Versatile Vocal Microphone

I'm saving up for a tube mic in the $2000 range (Blackspade or Beezneez maybe?) But I need something to tie me down until then. So I'm making a short list of mics I can get the the sub-$500 range.

I need something that can handle most voices well, and It's gotta have low body noise. I'm recording only one voice at a time, but I'm going to layer them. Every vocal part, and vocal percussion.

I'd prefer something with different patterns, because I haven't had experience with them, and I want to practice. But if I can get something that's better quality, that's more important.

Looking somewhere in the sub-$500 range, but cheaper is better. Examples of other stuff I'm considering is AT2020/4040/4050/4033, Studio Projects CS5, Shure ksm32. If someone could shorten that for me, or have something better than that, it could help. :]

Oh! And my chain is: Perception 220 -> grace m101 -> RME AIO. The perception has worked fairly well for me, but I just feel like it's missing something. But if there's nothing significantly better, maybe I'll stick with that.

I'll also be using to record myself, but that's not as important for me. This is what my voice sounds like. Shure Beta 58 -> Lexicon Lambda built in pre's -> computer (don't worry. mondo reverb is only at the very beginning ).
Summertime-001 by Benjamin Pevsner on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 2nd August 2012

The AT4033 is a solid choice. I'd add a Kel HM-7u, a Heil PR-40, a CAD e100s, a Hamburg, two MXL (2003a and v67g), an EV RE510, and an M179 just to play with patterns. The CS5 is well liked by people who work with it - I have only heard samples in shoot-outs (and it seems like a good choice).Investigate, find a few to try....

Pattern control shouldn't be an issue if you are recording vox one at a time. I don't know what your concern about "body noise" is - I hope you aren't actually holding the mic when recording. That may be required for "vocal percussion", but an SM58 or beta58 (or the RE510) should work fine for those tracks...

Make sure you have a decent room to record in as well as a shock mount and a pop screen.

-tINY

Old 2nd August 2012
Gear Addict

Avantone CV-12 has worked well for me. It's a tube mic with 9 patterns... pretty versatile.
Old 2nd August 2012
Gear Head

oops was kinda sleepy. not body noise. Just noise in general haha. -.-

I'll check these out.
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivebenrecording View Post
I'm saving up for a tube mic in the $2000 range (Blackspade or Beezneez maybe?) But I need something to tie me down until then. So I'm making a short list of mics I can get the the sub-$500 range.

I need something that can handle most voices well, and It's gotta have low body noise. I'm recording only one voice at a time, but I'm going to layer them. Every vocal part, and vocal percussion.

I'd prefer something with different patterns, because I haven't had experience with them, and I want to practice. But if I can get something that's better quality, that's more important.

Looking somewhere in the sub-$500 range, but cheaper is better. Examples of other stuff I'm considering is AT2020/4040/4050/4033, Studio Projects CS5, Shure ksm32. If someone could shorten that for me, or have something better than that, it could help. :]]
...based on your request, the Stellar CM-6 would be a first class choice...a sub-$500 tube mic ($415) that excels on vocals as well as multi-instrumental duties...9 polar-patterns to boot!...do yourself a favor and search "CM-6" here on GS for lots of info, owner feedback and soundfiles to check out...

...I have owned a Blackspade UM17 and still own a BeezNeez Arabella GT, and I can tell you very confidently, the CM-6 is in the same class of performance (just a bit different, but not inferior)...you may not even want to upgrade...I also have a Studio Projects CS5, which I'm very impressed with, but the Stellar CM-6 punches way beyond it's cost factor, especially on vocals...your choice of tube will allow you to tweak the CM-6's character...I currently use 2 CM-6's for vocal duties, one with an NOS 50's Mullard EF86 (for a rounder less bright tone) and another with an NOS Valvo E80F (for a more modern sheen)...brilliant mic at even 2-3 times the price!
Old 3rd August 2012
Gear Head

Awesome! Thanks so much!
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

ksm 44 used
Old 3rd August 2012
If I was going a vocal mic today I'd get the EV RE320.
Old 3rd August 2012
Gear Head

^ The thing about the EV RE320 is that when I say versatile, I mean vocally versatile. not necessarily versatile around the studio. If EV RE320 is anything like the RE20, wouldn't it sound much better on some voices than others?

So how does this list to check out look? Tryin to keep it on the short side...
Stellar CM-6, Studio Projects CS5, AT 4033. Maybe the Avantone CV-12 as well.
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
So how does this list to check out look? Tryin to keep it on the short side...Stellar CM-6, Studio Projects CS5, AT 4033. Maybe the Avantone CV-12 as well.
...just as a point of reference, the Avantone CV-12 originates from the same manufacturer as the Stellar CM-6...the CV-12 is a very slightly modified version of the Apex 460...a few components have been upgraded giving it a better tonal quality than the Apex, but the stock 460 capsule and transformer remain the same...

...the CM-6 has all major components upgraded, including a larger 35mm K67 capsule, a higher grade BV8-style dual bobbin transformer, and the cathode-follower circuit is removed, allowing the implementation of a select EF86 pentode tube (same as used in the U67) giving the CM-6 a cleaner, more detailed clarity...the CV-12 retains the cathode-follower and uses an EH 6072A dual-triode tube...

...while the CV-12 is a very nice sounding mic, the CM-6 is vastly improved and offers much better component quality for less money...Stellar mics are sold direct from the designer/manufacturer, eliminating retail dealer markups...we also have a CV-12 in the studio, but we decided to have it upgraded by JJ Audio, replacing both the stock capsule and transformer as well as critical circuit modifications...the Stellar CM-5 is more similar to the CV-12, but again offers upgraded capsule, transformer and circuitry, while retaining the cathode-follwer circuit and the same 6072A tube, making it a better value than the CV-12, IMHO...
Old 3rd August 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidvybes View Post
the Stellar CM-5 is more similar to the CV-12, but again offers upgraded capsule, transformer and circuitry, while retaining the cathode-follwer circuit and the same 6072A tube, making it a better value than the CV-12, IMHO...
CM-5 vs CM-6 which one wins?
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl777 View Post
CM-5 vs CM-6 which one wins?
...two different voicings...if you want a more clear, modern sheen (radio ready), the CM-6 is a great option for vocals...but if you prefer a more vintage vibe (a bit darker, warmer) the CM-5 could be preferable...but those are just general descriptions...how any mic performs on a particular voice is of course a personal preference...I prefer the CM-6 on more voices...you can hear both on a female vocalist in this shootout (up against much more expensive, respected microphones):
Hundreds$ to Thousands$ Female Mic Shootout

...or check out these comparisons:
Stellar CM4 CM6 Review | recording hacks
Stellar CM5 Review | recording hacks
Old 3rd August 2012
Gear Head

Hmm... Well then I guess I would get a CM-6 over the avantone for sure. I just listened to clips from the CM-6, though. On all the clips I've heard, it feels a little nasal... I don't know about that... But I hear the same thing recording on my beta 58a (actually nvrmnd. I think the beta58 nasal quality is just my voice LOL). What could be causing that? Should I be looking for a different spectral quality from these mics, or could that be the singers in the clips I listen to? Also, you mentioned different tubes in the mic. Is it easy to do that myself (I only have experience with cables. Would this be a good 2nd step?)
Old 4th August 2012
Here for the gear

Adk hamburg great mic
Old 4th August 2012
Lives for gear

...the CM-6 is a very neutral/natural sounding mic which tends to give a very clear and accurate representation of the source...if a singer is nasal or sibilant, the CM-6 will reveal those characteristics...proper mic positioning will often diminish those traits (tilting the mic towards the chest works well to diminish nasal tones), but the mic alone does not posess those characteristics...it is simply offering an accurate reproduction of the source...
Old 4th August 2012
Quote:
^ The thing about the EV RE320 is that when I say versatile, I mean vocally versatile. not necessarily versatile around the studio. If EV RE320 is anything like the RE20, wouldn't it sound much better on some voices than others?
It's roughly in the same camp as MD421 and SM57 tonally. Check this out: Ultimate Podcast Microphone Shootout | recording hacks
Old 4th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

The AT4033 is a solid choice. I'd add a Kel HM-7u, a Heil PR-40, a CAD e100s, a Hamburg, two MXL (2003a and v67g), an EV RE510, and an M179 just to play with patterns. The CS5 is well liked by people who work with it - I have only heard samples in shoot-outs (and it seems like a good choice).Investigate, find a few to try....

Pattern control shouldn't be an issue if you are recording vox one at a time. I don't know what your concern about "body noise" is - I hope you aren't actually holding the mic when recording. That may be required for "vocal percussion", but an SM58 or beta58 (or the RE510) should work fine for those tracks...

Make sure you have a decent room to record in as well as a shock mount and a pop screen.

Hey tINY!

-tINY

But at 500, Id consider the stellars for vocals first!
Old 4th August 2012
Lives for gear

SM57. You don't need multiple patterns unless you have a good room.
Old 6th August 2012
Gear Head

^ I'd like to think my room is pretty decent. I just spent a bit getting it there. If I'd just be getting an SM57, I probably won't get a mic at all at this point. Already have a beta 58, which isn't a maaaassive difference. But your comment made me realize that what I've got is already pretty decent.

I think I'll just see if I can try those mics I mentioned as my new short list, but hold back unless I can find something significantly better than what I've got. Thanks for your help everybody!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search