Show me your low end setup
Old 19th June 2006
Gear Head

Show me your low end setup

hey guys whats up. Im curious to see some of your setups *no high end please* those people who have setups within the range of 500 dollars to 8000 dollars. I would start it off but i dont have an updated pic of my setup.

this should be interesting tho.
Old 19th June 2006
Gear maniac

I'll take pictures when I get home. My studio is still going through a 3 month face-lift, but I will put some pictures up.
Old 19th June 2006
www.KevWestBeats.com

damn 8 grand is still low end. im in shock. anyway my rig is worth about 4gs i guess that could be considered low end and thats not counting computer upgrades, wires, or stuff Im not using
Old 19th June 2006
Gear nut

I'll get this ball rolling...
Attached Thumbnails
Show me your low end setup-studio-1.jpg  
Old 19th June 2006
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Raggedy....he said low-end....you´ve got a Distressor!!!!

sorry but....."you are DISMISSED !!"

Old 19th June 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude

Hes also got an 002!
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

I build this setup last friday, still looking for a right place but this worked vey well in action. BTW, 100% ITB, maybe someday a delicious ourboard compressor but I've been happy working ITB.
Attached Thumbnails
Show me your low end setup-setup1.jpg   Show me your low end setup-setup2.jpg  
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish
I build this setup last friday, still looking for a right place but this worked vey well in action. BTW, 100% ITB, maybe someday a delicious ourboard compressor but I've been happy working ITB.
At first I was like, wow, what is that some sorta weird tubey pre or line mixer or something y'got there...

Then I realized, aw, it's just a god**mn stove.
Attached Images

Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejook
At first I was like, wow, what is that some sorta weird tubey pre or line mixer or something y'got there...

Then I realized, aw, it's just a god**mn stove.
HAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

My home studio...

Show me your low end setup-dscn1089.jpg

Show me your low end setup-dscn1091.jpg

Show me your low end setup-dscn1094.jpg
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

"At first I was like, wow, what is that some sorta weird tubey pre or line mixer or something y'got there..."
-Sure it warms the sound of that tactically placed mixer, old Finnish trick...
Matti
Old 19th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude

Having some high-end gear doesn't turn your studio into a high-end studio IMO. I have a few high end gear pieces as well, but it's still a bedroom studio
Old 19th June 2006
SRR
Gear maniac

Old 19th June 2006
SRR
Gear maniac

Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM
Having some high-end gear doesn't turn your studio into a high-end studio IMO. I have a few high end gear pieces as well, but it's still a bedroom studio
I was just thinking about this the other day. Perhaps the definition of a low end studio should be less about the gear and more about the room. As in, if the room is not properly built out or designed well acoustically it can't be considered high end, no matter what the gear.

However, you see exceptions to this. Like rooms that are proper built out studios but have crummy gear. Or rooms that are not typical studios and yet simply have to be considered high end due to amazing gear and creative design.

Definitions also get tough because of the trend toward one room studios, i.e. a big control room is the whole studio.

But for me personally, I have to say that my studio fits the description by DrDeltaM quoted above, some nice gear in a low end room.
Attached Thumbnails
Show me your low end setup-studio_6.19.06b.jpg  
Old 19th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
I was just thinking about this the other day. Perhaps the definition of a low end studio should be less about the gear and more about the room. As in, if the room is not properly built out or designed well acoustically it can't be considered high end, no matter what the gear.

However, you see exceptions to this. Like rooms that are proper built out studios but have crummy gear. Or rooms that are not typical studios and yet simply have to be considered high end due to amazing gear and creative design.

Definitions also get tough because of the trend toward one room studios, i.e. a big control room is the whole studio.

But for me personally, I have to say that my studio fits the description by DrDeltaM quoted above, some nice gear in a low end room.
Cool place! Your description is pretty much the way I see the term 'low end' indeed
Old 19th June 2006
Gear maniac

This time its 2 Distressors, I dont think I can justify calling that low end even if he had a dfegad 002
The boombox is a nice touch though. Been meaning to add one of those here....
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Perhaps the definition of a low end studio should be less about the gear and more about the room.
There are plenty of examples of hit records being recorded in less-than-typical locations with less gear than some of these low-end studios are using. (David Gilmour's boat, the Astoria, is one I read about most recently. Low ceilings, bathrooms and kitchen used for isolation, etc.)

So perhaps the definition of a low end studio is less about the gear and room, and more about the engineer and his or her clientele?

When I hear "low-end", I think of a project studio where the owner is recording their own music and perhaps making a few bucks on the side recording local talent. (There are plenty here I'm sure who fit that bill but might still be able to cough up four figures for a sweet piece of gear every once and a while - eventually building an impressive arsenal of tools & toys!)
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS0420
This time its 2 Distressors, I dont think I can justify calling that low end even if he had a dfegad 002
The boombox is a nice touch though. Been meaning to add one of those here....
Well, I *have* an 002R, you just can't see it in the picture. It's buried toward the bottom of the fx rack, along with a couple MOTU audio interfaces. That should qualify me for low end status...

And yes, that boombox is essential hardware. The first thing that happens when I burn a CD is that it gets put into the boombox and checked.

I do think that my place is a generally high end midi/composer's writing studio, but a low end recording studio in the traditional sense due to the total lack of a proper acoustic design (and no acoustic recording space). My studio is designed for recording synth/sampler scores and for mixing tracks recorded in commercial studios elsewhere. For that it works well.
Old 19th June 2006
Gear maniac

What kind of inputs, if any does the boombox have? Im wondering if it can also be used as a second or third monitoring set up right out of the converter? That would be sweet
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR
$8000 or less???
With the exception of the Vipre, ISA and PT rig a lot of my stuff was quite cheap.
I buy broken bits of gear from ebay and fix them.
This weeks purchase was a Kurzweil K2000 keyboard for $250- just needed boot roms replaced.
There are a lot of bargains out there people. **** software- hardware synths are the shit and can be had for spare change.
Arriving tomorrow is a Roland Dance Module- yes the one pulled from sale due to copyright issues. Paid 100 euro.
My piano (from 1896) cost $10 from Ebay.
Old 19th June 2006
Gear nut

The Trident isn't even mine, so it's totally Low-End!

Show me your low end setup-167491232_8b3d3431c7.jpg
Show me your low end setup-167491804_5b01480dbe.jpg
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS0420
What kind of inputs, if any does the boombox have? Im wondering if it can also be used as a second or third monitoring set up right out of the converter? That would be sweet
The boombox doesn't have external inputs unfortunately. I bought it as a gift for my Mom years ago, but found out that my brother had already bought her the same thing. So I kept it. I do wish it had inputs though.

And I agree about there being a lot of bargains out there. Some of my gear I got for cheap, although I do buy many pieces new. A few months ago I picked up a Sony D7 delay box for $103 and all it needed was a new battery, which I soldered in myself.
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
The boombox doesn't have external inputs unfortunately. I bought it as a gift for my Mom years ago, but found out that my brother had already bought her the same thing. So I kept it. I do wish it had inputs though.

And I agree about there being a lot of bargains out there. Some of my gear I got for cheap, although I do buy many pieces new. A few months ago I picked up a Sony D7 delay box for $103 and all it needed was a new battery, which I soldered in myself.
Cool.
I had a Kawai K1r arrive recently that just needed a new 3v battery. Paid about $50 for it.
Also Yamaha FB01 (like a mini DX7 in a 1/2 rack) for $35.
The 3 Quasimidi synth were cheap or free- the polymorph being the best bargain.
The main bargain in outboard was a D&R stereo FET compressor for 150 euro.
Wicked sounds from it.
The 4 TT patchbays were $50 a piece- enough connections to last me a long while, 384 of them.

What are other peoples bargains.
Old 19th June 2006
Gear Guru

>But for me personally, I have to say that my studio fits the description by DrDeltaM quoted above, some nice gear in a low end room.<

Well then get about the business of getting that room taken care of. I can see many pieces of gear in there that cost twice as much as treating the whole room and that is not DYI panels either.

Glenn
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Old 19th June 2006
Old 19th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR
$8000 or less???

Yeah dude, stop trying to be the valedictorian at summer school...
Old 19th June 2006
Gear Head

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search