The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Little damage on my microphone
Old 8th July 2012
Here for the gear

Little damage on my microphone

Hey!

I was changing the microphone position in my room because of the acoustics, but I tripped over the cable and the microphone felt down on the floor. Now, the damage isn't much, but there's a little dent in the microphone's "netting". Does this affect the sound of the microphone?

The little "netting" dent is on this place:
Old 9th July 2012
What kind of mic is it? If it is a dynamic mic like a shure sm58 or something it is more than likely totally fine. The dent shouldn't have an effect on the performance of the mic. If it is a condenser mic, there could be damage done to the mic, but is probably somewhat unrelated to the dent. You'd really wanna make sure the electronics haven't been damaged inside the mesh cover. check the capsule visually and make sure the mic still operates correctly by testing it.
Old 9th July 2012
Lives for gear

Hook it up and check the sound to make sure the capsule is ok. If so, proceed.

Congrats; now your mic has 'character'.
Old 9th July 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcnelis View Post
What kind of mic is it? If it is a dynamic mic like a shure sm58 or something it is more than likely totally fine. The dent shouldn't have an effect on the performance of the mic. If it is a condenser mic, there could be damage done to the mic, but is probably somewhat unrelated to the dent. You'd really wanna make sure the electronics haven't been damaged inside the mesh cover. check the capsule visually and make sure the mic still operates correctly by testing it.
yeah i much prefer the sound of a beat to **** sm58
Old 9th July 2012
Lives for gear

Furthermore, if the dent bothers you, with most microphones you can remove the mesh (with some condensers this requires a screwdriver) and push the dent back out.
Old 9th July 2012
Here for the gear

Hey!

It's the Neumann TLM102, that's why I took a picture of it in the startpost.

I can open the microphone, but I need to remove the windscreen within the mesh. I'll try. The soundquality didn't change though.
How can I test the capsule visually?
Old 9th July 2012
Lives for gear

Picture is a broken image for me.

Look for damage. If the sound quality didn't change, then you probably don't need to worry so much.
Old 9th July 2012
By visually I mean just look at the capsule inside the mesh and make sure there is no obvious damage done. If the sound performance hasn't changed, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Old 9th July 2012
Haha nevermind Alden beat me to it
Old 10th July 2012
Lives for gear

Just treat your precious microphones with tender loving care. I know, stuff happens. I would rather see a Shure 58 kiss the floor than a Neumann, lol.

Dennis
Old 10th July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
Just treat your precious microphones with tender loving care. I know, stuff happens. I would rather see a Shure 58 kiss the floor than a Neumann, lol.

Dennis
The worst is having a sloppy drummer smack your u87 with a stick.
📝 Reply