The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What would you do?
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

What would you do?

I"m starting to buy equipment for a small project studio mainly to record projects for our church. Here's my starting list (this will grow over time):

1) Digi002R with ProTools LE
2) Mac mini
3) Firewire external HD
4) One decent condensor mic(looking at the Studio Projects???. Compared well to a U87)
5) Behringer headphone amp
6) 4 pair headphones (likely moreme's)

I already have a pair of old Event 20/20p monitors that should do ok. Here's my question - initially I'll be tracking V-drums which I'm not crazy about, but I'll likely track them MIDI initially so I won't need to mic drums, however, I might eventually (I really hate V-drums). Should I get something like the Digimax LT or Onyx 800 with 8 preamps or get one or two decent mic preamps for vocal/acoustic guitar/etc.? I'm leaning toward the one or two decent preamps. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Mike
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

i wouldnt go for a mac mini, the concept of them is to be cheep and cheep computers and audio production doesnt go well together.

a C1 is nothing like a U87, unless you want an extreamly bright mic that puts an unnatural sheen on eveything look elsewhewre. start with a pair of sm57s

if you hate V-Drums for the sound look at BFD or DKFH, you will get a very nice sound very cheep. if its the feel well not much you can do except buy a real drum kit. in which case you would be better with the onyx 800 so you have enough pres for drum mics. if you stick with the v-dums then a good 2ch pre would be the way to go.
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie
i wouldnt go for a mac mini, the concept of them is to be cheep and cheep computers and audio production doesnt go well together.
I agree they're "inexpensive", but not cheap. I have a PC I'll be running VST's etc. on. This is solely for tracking/mixing. Cheap, I don't know?
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

A Mac Mini should be powerfull enough when using external Firewire drive. You might wanna consider a MacBook tho, handy for on location with screen and keyboard included, and not that much more expensive then Mac Mini.
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

cheep is relitive, they are cheep compared to a power mac.

i dont understand 'I have a PC I'll be running VST's etc. on'
you would be betetr off putting the cash into a single high end system that can do everything.
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie
cheep is relitive, they are cheep compared to a power mac.

i dont understand 'I have a PC I'll be running VST's etc. on'
you would be betetr off putting the cash into a single high end system that can do everything.
I've already got the PC fixed up and ready to go. Otherwise, you'd be correct. Thanks.

By the way, I'm still waiting on opinions on my original question - 8 channel preamp vs one or two decent quality preamps? We're chasing rabbits here.
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

depends on if 8 pres are needed...someone like me doesn't need 8..my needs are met with a killer stereo channel...if 8 are needed i'd look into a good sounding 8 channel pre like a True Systems Precision 8 or 2 Focusrite ISA428's..just my $.02

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search