The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FMR Audio RNLA vs. JoeMeek MC2 Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 9th June 2006
Here for the gear

Question FMR Audio RNLA vs. JoeMeek MC2

Almost same price, same desired effect. Whats your opinition? I have a RNC and want a complement with lots of color. What would you recommend?
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Never heard either, but I have read the RNLA is much "gooier"....

Gooey-colored is good......sometimes!
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

RNLA

I use my RNLA all of the time for tracking guitars. Be forewarned that it is very colored-- I suppose that you either like it or you don't. I like it especially for guitar. I picked up a RNLA and RNC for ****s and grins as I already have compressors and limiters that cost 5 to 10x more. I was absolutely floored at the sound of these two works. The RNC and the RNLA are very different but both worth way more when it comes to sound. I've never heard the Joe Meek but you simply can't go wrong with a RNLA. If you are a guitarist try using the RNLA in the effect loop of your amp.... talk about scuplting a fat tone, either clean or dirty!

Something else to consider... can you call Joe Meek on the phone with a question or problem? Is Joe Meek in China. I have personally spoken with the designer and maker of the RNLA and I prefer to support a human that is accessible to me personally.
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsun
Something else to consider... can you call Joe Meek on the phone with a question or problem? Is Joe Meek in China. I have personally spoken with the designer and maker of the RNLA and I prefer to support a human that is accessible to me personally.
Well, Alan Hyatt from PMI (Joemeek) is a regular on Gearslutz, so very easy to contact. I haven't heard the new Joemeek MC2 yet, but I like seeing interesting gear like that in the RNC price-range
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM
Well, Alan Hyatt from PMI (Joemeek) is a regular on Gearslutz, so very easy to contact. I haven't heard the new Joemeek MC2 yet, but I like seeing interesting gear like that in the RNC price-range
Cool..... I have always been intrigued by what I have read about the Joemeek stuff. I also like seeing good gear being released in that price range. Again, I am always influenced by a company that has a human somewhere out front that is empowered to think and talk to customers.... and I am not referring to the token poor "customer service" dude that gets propped up to take all of the shot but is given no authority and often isn't knowledgable.
Old 11th June 2006
Here for the gear

Well, what about vocals and stuff?

Okay, so the RNLA is nice with guitar. The Joemeek MC2 as well? Does anybody have both systems for a direct comparison? What about vocals and mastering? Would you use JoeMeek or RNLA (given that you want a colored take/mastering and that you only have these two available).
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackazong
Okay, so the RNLA is nice with guitar. The Joemeek MC2 as well? Does anybody have both systems for a direct comparison? What about vocals and mastering? Would you use JoeMeek or RNLA (given that you want a colored take/mastering and that you only have these two available).

The RNLA is not just "nice" for guitar it is great for guitar if I am after that color and that sort of limiting. It seems good for vocals but honestly I don't use it for vocals. I have never tried using my RNLA for mastering and don't intend to. I would just not want that color across the entire stereo bus. I have not used the JoeMeek stuff.

Why don't you order one of each and give them a run for their money, report your results, and send the one back that you are less excited about. I'm sure you can find a retailer that will accomodate you.
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Thats good advice. If you cant find one that will,I usually flip barely used purchases on ebay at a 10-13% loss.... I figure thats a fair rental price, if I were to pay rental fee.

Believe me, people eat those auctions up! I have seen, (even sold) Items that sell street-new for 5% more than auctions close for!!

I personally forego that, and try to buy new, you never know what will happen.
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

from what i understand, the mc2 is supposed to be the same compressor as their higher end boxes (like the twinQ) with the extra gain reduction hold and stereo width controls. no digital i/o, though...

maybe someone could compare the rnla to the twinQ / oneQ and report back?
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

I also love the RNLA for fattening up DI'd synths, on overheads and or the master drum buss and have used it on some master bus stuff a few times. It is really fun for for lack of a better word, I am considering one for my live percussion rig!

Paul
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

Don't dismiss the ART pro VLA in this price segment

ruudman
Old 9th September 2006
Lives for gear

Any updates on this comparison?

Cheers,
Old 9th September 2006
Lives for gear

I had an rlna for a few months...I REALLY liked it. I can't belive a compressor that cool is so cheap.
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Has ANYBODY tried the Joe Meek mc2...
I like the form factor and connectivity, cheap too.
Cheers,
Old 10th September 2006
Here for the gear

Frequency response:

10Hz to 70kHz (-3dB)

that seems kind of weird to me...
is that normal?
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

Eh, not really, the M-Audio DMP-3 has an advertised 20Hz-100kHz frequency response.

I love my RNLAs (got two.) I like the color. I use it a lot on guitar, and sometimes on the guitar bus. I usually won't limit very much, just use it for the vibe. I'll also sometimes smash the drum bus with it and mix it in a little. The "turbo" release mode works well for this (dunno what it's really called, I have them racked in a Funk Logic tray, which changes the names of the controls...)

I've worked with the RNC before, and it's okay, I don't like it as much as the RNLA. If you like your RNC, I'm sure you'll be happy with the RNLA.
Old 5th April 2007
Gear Addict
Bump.... any more comparisons on these two ??
Old 5th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjari View Post
Bump.... any more comparisons on these two ??
I haven't directly compared the two, but have some experience with the compressor in the twinQ vs. the RNLA. IMO, they are both very colored, but different. I found the RNLA to be thicker and smoother sounding, while the meek was very aggressive and gritty. The meek will really smash the crap out of something, and would certainly be useful in some situations, but I'm just not as much of a fan of its tone. I don't know how the twinQ compressor compares with the MC2, either. YMMV.

Oh, and I love the RNLA for vocals, especially with a tube condenser or ribbon mic...tons of mojo.
Old 27th December 2008
pjk
Gear Addict
i have an mc2(new version) and an rnc and like both. Mc2 can be very aggressive but if you take the attack right back to its slowest and work from there you can get a good sound. Nice on tracking vocals or thickening snare, does seem to have more grain than older vc1 i have. Rnc supernice is good for vocal mixing. Both very different and very usable to me.
Old 27th December 2008
Lives for gear

I have both a TwinQ and an RNLA. The compressor on the TwinQ is very sensitive. The compression ration knob on it actually applies more compression than what the knob indicates. It kicks ass on drums. I dont like the pre for bass, but the compressor on bass is pretty good as well. Ill generally feed it from a tube pre (MPA Gold) for bass. I like it on vocal as well, not so much on guitar. The RNLA is great for guitars. I like it on the drum overheads as well. I really like them both and they both compliment each other well but they sound in my opinion completely different from each other. I dont think one is necessarily better than the other, just different.
Old 14th August 2014
I'm going to be that guy and resurrect threads here, but the RNLA is 10x better than the twinQ comp. I have the RNLA inserted into the twinQ with the comp bypassed and this is a killer setup for drum processing.
Old 13th June 2015
Old thread. I own an RNLA and I just ordered an MC2. So I hope to learn it well enough to compare them both for you.

Caveat: I am not a big fan of my RNLA. I am a big fan of my Meek VC3. So I may have a bias. But I will be as neutral as I can possibly be. If either one of them s**k, I won't hesitate to say it.
Old 23rd January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by lozion View Post
Any updates on this comparison?

Cheers,
I own both - mainly as mix-down compressors. Here's another update.

The Meek is colder- no doubt about it. At it's best, the RNLA can sound warmer. It can give a snare a goopy liquid sheen of sound I've never heard. But the Meek has that stereo width control. And it can change and shape the final mix in a way the RNLA cannot. So right now the Meek is my mixdown box. But IMO it lacks the warmth of my VC3. I think the VC3 Pro-Channel has the best sounding compressor of any Meek box I've used. I AM shopping for another one.

My bottom line:

Soft music - MC2
Rockin' Stuff - RNLA

In my rack now, I have the MC2, RNLA, RNC, VC3 Pro-Channel and I own two C2's. One is in my rack.
One is with my pedal boxes.

Last edited by louparte; 23rd January 2016 at 01:50 PM..
Old 6th February 2016
pjk
Gear Addict
I couldn't get my mc2 to do the right sound for me after a long time away from it and so tried the settings suggested in the floor Q user guide. Those are really helpful. This is one tricky compressor to get the right sound out of but I've found some nice warm sounds in there after all. It doesn't suck the bottom end out with those floor Q settings - unlike my efforts !, and can actually thicken the signal while improving the high end sparkle which is a nice trick.

It's still far from transparent but seems I really underestimated this little box. It's working great on guitar now and really helps the joyo and tech 21 amp pedals I'm using especially on clean settings. They sound even more like an amp now.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search