The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
BFD Tips/Tricks
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Nut

BFD Tips/Tricks

Just picked up BFD and it is pretty effin impressive.

Just wondering any tips or tricks for using it. Tips on mixing would also be great being that I am such a rookie.

BTW, I can't seem to figure out how to get JUST a snare drum track (to compress, add verb, etc. as needed). I select BFD which makes 8 additional tracks (I believe)..but only 4 of which have any levels. Out of the 4 there is (I believe) overhead, pzm, direct bass drum, and something else.

Thanks
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

You have to choose which output format to use by selecting the proper plugin. You'll see them listed as BFD ALL, BFD ULTRA, BFD STEREO, etc. I think BFD Ultra might be the one that splits into each individual track, and BFD ALL might be for the submixes. I might have these switched, tho.

General tips, I'd get familiar with MIDI processing in your recording software. How to even out passages, emphasize patterns, filter velocity on input, etc. I think that's the biggest part of the battle.
Old 8th June 2006

what DAW software are you running it inside? You have to do different things in logic than nuendo for instance

narco
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Nut

Thanks for the advice. I just started using Sonar.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Just don't try and work at 96/24 ...
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear
search for a long thread about BFD and DKFH. I put up some tricks in there that really work. I use BFD for every rock song I write and it takes a while to get it to sound great if you are new to mixing drums...so have patience and have fun with it.
Old 8th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by pour the cure
Thanks for the advice. I just started using Sonar.
I don't know sonar sorry. Basically you will have to find out how it deals with audio instruments with multiple outs. For instance in logic you have to (painfully) set up heaps of auxillary audio objects, whereas nuendo does it automatically (and even names them!)

TIP: buy a western digital raptor hard drive, and dedicate it to streaming the bfd files, and buy more RAM

narco
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLakis
You have to choose which output format to use by selecting the proper plugin. You'll see them listed as BFD ALL, BFD ULTRA, BFD STEREO, etc. I think BFD Ultra might be the one that splits into each individual track, and BFD ALL might be for the submixes.
BFD ALL= all the individual outputs from the main page
BFD ULTRA= all the individual outputs from both the main page, and the newly added second page.

My general tips are to spend time with the dampening control. Especially the kicks, ring far too much in the overhead mics. Also I suggest taking the snare track out of the hi hat....for whatever reason, it's as loud as the hi hat and makes for wierdness when you are comp/eqing the crap out of the actual snare track.
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac black
Just don't try and work at 96/24 ...
BFD was recorded at 44.1/24. If you run it at a higher bitrate, it has to upsample.

There's a map of which sounds come up on which tracks. Are you running BFD as a plugin or as a ReWire?

If you want a snare top or snare bottom, just open the appropriate channel in that track on your DAW.
Attached Thumbnails
BFD Tips/Tricks-bfdmicmap.jpg  
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_F_H_13
Also I suggest taking the snare track out of the hi hat....for whatever reason, it's as loud as the hi hat and makes for wierdness when you are comp/eqing the crap out of the actual snare track.
I agree with this. If you're not clear on how to do this, there's a matrix of all this stuff in the GUI. You click on the button that looks like a 1/4" plug with four little dots under it.

That's the output options panel. At the bottom is a box marked "bleed to primary direct".

When that box is unchecked, you get bleed from certain drums into other mics. In other words, the sound of the hihat bleeding into the snare mic will come up in the snare mic channel, just like it would when working with drum tracks.

When you check "bleed to primary direct" the sound of the hihat bleeding into the snare mic, for example, will come up in the hihat mic channel. This is one of the really cool things about BFD. So when you turn the hihat trim down, all of it's bleed into other channels goes down too.

Obviously, if you turn down the hihat mic on a drum kit, the hihat bleed is still gonna be in the snare mic channel, if that makes any sense at all.
Attached Thumbnails
BFD Tips/Tricks-picture-9.jpg  
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Addict

I guess my only tip is to use it in the full channel version and mix it yourself... You can get very results that way although the overhead is quite heavy in a Sonar based environment.

Also dont be afraid to write your own beats straight away! The pre-recorded stuff is good but you can start by adding extra hits to that and as your confidence grows write you own licks. Just rememebr that piano roll editing will allow you to vary the strength of the hits and get a more human feel.

If you use the built in humanising functions, be gentle they can get pretty extreme.

If you are confident enough to mix the full fourteen outputs, don't fall into compression traps. You will tie your mix up in a box, lickety split quick. If you like a well supported sound, consider parallel compression, perhaps. However, personally I prefer using light compression on individual drums where necessary but try to avoid it altogether, preferring to use light opposite side delays, well down in the mix with a little EQ to create gentle reinforcement and alot of space in the sound.

Anyway... Play around with it and enjoy it. It remains a very nice package.

Reg

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search