The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Building a vocal booth Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Building a vocal booth

I've searched old posts on this and cannot find anything so here goes. Any recipes/examples of how to build a good inexpensive neutral vocal booth? My idea now is to piece together fiberglass panels probably 2 deep then cover that with some sort of foam, but then again, I've NEVER done this before. I'd like to make it big enough to use to record acoustic guitar as well. Any suggestions?

Mike
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

try buying this month's Sound on sound magazine. It has some tips on a vocal boots. also try their internet article archive. they have done some neat things for little money!
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks for the idea. I bought the article online and it was very helpful. I'm quite the newbie at vocal recording and don't want to foul these vocal tracks up. Thanks again.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Anytime!
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

John Sayers Forum

Have you tried the John Sayers Forum yet? Everything is there.
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS0420
Have you tried the John Sayers Forum yet? Everything is there.
Link? A vocal booth would be cool.
Old 9th June 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by I <3 The Beatle
Link? A vocal booth would be cool.
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Stickies

READ the stickies at the top of the page FIRST
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Addict

I found these plans, which I'm considering. Would be cool to get other peoples thoughts.

http://www.projectstudiosolutions.com/
Old 8th October 2007
Here for the gear

I know this link is old, however I recently built a vocal booth off some plans from dawbox dot com. My booth is AWESOME and it was super easy to build.

Old 8th October 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digigirl View Post
I know this link is old, however I recently built a vocal booth off some plans from dawbox dot com. My booth is AWESOME and it was super easy to build.

Checked out the site, looked pretty cool... Only thing I noticed that I wished they would mentione BEFORE you buy is... what's the average cost of materials?

How much did you spend on yours?
Old 31st July 2009
Lives for gear

Dude. The thread is two years old.

Frank
Old 31st July 2009
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel9992 View Post
Dude. The thread is two years old.
LOL, a perfect excuse for me to bump it further with this link:

Do I really need a vocal booth?

--Ethan
Old 3rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Hahahaha...yeah, I guess so.

Frank
Old 9th August 2009
Gear Maniac

Why not?

DIY if you dare.

Ethan & Frank know best, but this IS the "Low End Theory" thread.

VO Mic Test
Old 9th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowillie View Post
Why not?

Ethan & Frank know best, but this IS the "Low End Theory" thread.
Yes, it is...and there are better "low end" solutions than a DIY vocal booth about 90% of the time.

Frank
Old 15th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediamaker View Post
I bought a vocal booth and stand from this site called editorskeys.com, have been using it constantly since and its actually amazing, I get perfect audio recordings everytime! Saves me money and time going back and forth to studios.

Also just bought a pop filter from them too, pretty cheap and work really well with the booth.

Definitely give them a go.

Go Away.
We don't need your stickers or your vocal booth.
This is not an advertisement board.
Old 15th October 2009
Lives for gear

Forget about booths in small studios, its more harm then good.
One set of headphones for the recorder and one of the talent. thumbsup
Old 15th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer1 View Post
Forget about booths in small studios, its more harm then good.
One set of headphones for the recorder and one of the talent. thumbsup
thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Right on.

Frank
Old 14th July 2010
Here for the gear

Hey guys , I have read about how it's bad to build a small vocal booth in a small room, and how it's better to have a reflection filter like the real traps PVB. I am just wondering about noise that comes from outside the room , as for me for example, I have my project studio in an apartment and it's in the first floor and the building is located in a considerably noisy enviroment (cars, people,etc..) altough the computer noise inside the room is another issue! . How can I deal with those things with a reflection filter along with some acoustics ?
Thanks
Mostafa
Old 14th July 2010
Gear Addict

QUOTE]I found these plans, which I'm considering. Would be cool to get other peoples thoughts.

Build your own vocal booth
/QUOTE]

Although this looks really nice, I would bet it is expensive to build as well. The materials alone would cost several hundreds of dollars, and time and labor if you have the actual skills to build something like this.

What is your budget and what do you need the booth for (i.e. sound isolation, so your neighbors cannot hear you practice/record, both or just better sound)?

I would also venture a guess that you could build your own booth without purchasing other's plans.

Mick
Old 15th July 2010
Here for the gear

I need to record only vocal overdubs, and maybe acoustic guitars , guitar amps or whatever fits one instrument at a time , without worrying about noise coming from outside or being loud so my neighbors wont get mad . However I cannot build a booth that is big in space, I am limited in space , I need something small to fit the room , and I might build in another room , and install a camera their, I think it will be better idea not messing my space. Based on what I've read on Real traps that it wont sound good to record vocalist in a small booth which will be totally dead having foam everywhere. I am still confused. one advantage of the booth that it looks pro for clients to make them feel they are in a real studio. but I don't want to end up with having bad takes at the end. what do you think ?

I've checked that link ? i don't know where can I find the pictures for the the construction process ???
Old 16th July 2010
Gear Nut

BOOSH!
Old 16th July 2010
Lives for gear

If you're going to build a booth, do it in style! I would love to build a vocal booth that looked like this (even complete with the flashing blue light)...
Building a vocal booth-tardis.jpg
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search