The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cad that sounds like u87 the discontinued one question Condenser Microphones
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Head

Cad that sounds like u87 the discontinued one question

does anybady know the CAD that was discontinued but sounded very close to the u87
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

I never heard of a CAD mic that sounded close to a U87. Although, I have hear of a Studio Project mic sounding like a U87.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

no cheep mic is going to come close
i have read the equitek 350 is a good pretender of a u47
no matter what a few rewiewers may of said a C1 doesnt sound like a U87
Old 7th June 2006
it sounded exactly like a U87 when neither was plugged in. The a/b was identical!
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

vocally is use to like the VX2... don't think they make it anymore... didn't really sound like a u87 but gave a huge vocal... there isn't a cad mic that quite sounds like a u87.. none that i've used
Old 7th June 2006
Here for the gear

Sound it out

I have heard people say that one U87 sounded better than another U87, ergo If a U87 doesn't sound like a U87 a CAD or A C1 probably doesn't sound quite like it either. All that to say I have a C1, it is a great mike. I have heard about this CAD you are referring to I just don't remember which one it was. I heard it was good. The RODE mics are great too. Ultimately each Mic adds a different color. Thats why we need so many.
Old 7th June 2006
Jai guru deva om

I don't know which one you're talking about either, but I own 2 of the CAD VX2 mics (now discontinued) and I can tell you it's a rich sounding mic with a big huge sound and happens to be my "go to" vocal mic on many voices and sources. If I had to pick from one mic in my arsenal to make an entire record with, one of my VX2 would win at this point.

I hate that they discontinued it, but at the time they had not had an order for one in over 6 months so they saw no real interest to keep that part of the line going.

Their M9 is awesome, and for under $300 it's one of the best mics out there.

War
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRather
does anybady know the CAD that was discontinued but sounded very close to the u87
I went through a number of inexpensive large condensors only to arrive at the conclusion that none of them sounded like a U87. But what I can say is that the TLM 103 shares the same capsule and frequency bump at 5k, as the U87 does, albeit, the 103 is somewhat more extended and slightly brighter). Having recorded with both, I think it's the closest thing to the current production U87 that I know of, based on the MXLs, CADs, SPs, Rode, SE, and other LDCs I've owned.
Old 7th June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
I don't know which one you're talking about either, but I own 2 of the CAD VX2 mics (now discontinued) and I can tell you it's a rich sounding mic with a big huge sound and happens to be my "go to" vocal mic on many voices and sources. If I had to pick from one mic in my arsenal to make an entire record with, one of my VX2 would win at this point.
I couldnt agree more. I have found that it does really well in fig 8 for some vocalists. Not something I would have expected but it really does. Great mic all around.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmekGuy
I went through a number of inexpensive large condensors only to arrive at the conclusion that none of them sounded like a U87. But what I can say is that the TLM 103 shares the same capsule and frequency bump at 5k, as the U87 does, albeit, the 103 is somewhat more extended and slightly brighter). Having recorded with both, I think it's the closest thing to the current production U87 that I know of, based on the MXLs, CADs, SPs, Rode, SE, and other LDCs I've owned.

Its neat that people think different things! I havent used an 87 in my studio personally, but I have heard them in others. I have imported tracks done with them also. I was pretty dis-allusioned with my TLM-103 after using it for a few months, I dumped it. I personally believe it to be,....well........I dont have it anymore. To avoid offending people that love it, and use it as a workhorse (maybe), I refrain from giving my snotty opinion!!

I am sure that there have been tons of great tracks created with it.
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

It really depends on the 87 as others have posted. I recently bought a vintage 87 and got to pick from 4 different ones. 2 sounded VERY different, but not necessarily better or worse. The one I chose gives me goose bumps... It is absolutely beautiful. So, I have to agree, NOTHING cheap that I have tried sounds as amazing as this mic. In fact, it just knocked my other mics down a notch. There is an intangible emotional quality the mic has that others just dont (Vintage- the new ones just dont do it for me even though they seem a truer representation of the sound-maybe the extra head room is it)
Its interesting to see the die hard CAD fans show up- I haven't really given CAD much consideration- maybe its time to give a listen!
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie
no cheep mic is going to come close
i have read the equitek 350 is a good pretender of a u47
no matter what a few rewiewers may of said a C1 doesnt sound like a U87
Uh... while most CAD mics that people are familiar with today are inexpensive, there was nothing 'cheap' about the VX2. It is high-end all the way. MSRP was somewhere around 2000 USD, and the sound (as others here have mentioned) is nothing short of awesome. Not a U87 sure, but an altogether wonderful & different animal.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepapagold
Its interesting to see the die hard CAD fans show up- I haven't really given CAD much consideration- maybe its time to give a listen!
die hard CAD fan here:
This will probably bring the flamethrowers out, but I'll say it anyway: If you've never had the chance to hear audio passed through a MaxCon console then IMO you are missing out on a true 'sleeper' of a console that is available for pennies on the dollar. There is no shortage of people who have bad things to say about these consoles, but I have found that (like everything else) proper maintenance and TLC go a long way. Some of the known issues (mostly noisy pots & switches) are the same annoyances as they are on lots of the other vintage 'instant b-o-i-n-g' gear that slutz get all drooly over. Not saying it's better than this or that - it's just a wonderfully transparent, huge headroom analog beast with lots of useful routing and great pres. If you can find one that has been kept in decent physical shape, it's worth looking at or hearing. And just like the CAD VX2, M9, and E100, E200 mics, it's a great alternative to everything else.
Old 8th June 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDaddyO
Uh... while most CAD mics that people are familiar with today are inexpensive, there was nothing 'cheap' about the VX2. It is high-end all the way. MSRP was somewhere around 2000 USD, and the sound (as others here have mentioned) is nothing short of awesome. Not a U87 sure, but an altogether wonderful & different animal.
I really wish they would bring the VX2 back.

My relationship with CAD began as a reviewer for mojopie.com, and I received the VX2 and VSM for review. By the time I had spent time with it, Front End Audio was born and soon after I became a CAD dealer so I never wrote a review of the mics for fear of being called too biased. I own 2 of the VX2 (each with 1.25" capsules and 1.1" capsule sets) and 1 of the VSM (1.1"), both no longer made. They were completely made in the US, even the capsules! The M9 is now about the most "high end" mic they make and trust me...it's very good and slays other mics in that price range on many sources. The M179 is an awesome mic, it is by far the greatest tom-tom mic I have ever used and I own 3 of them for this use alone (engage the pad and set to hypercardioid). Their size / design also allow for the easiest mic placement around. It does many other things well though, and is unhyped (sort of a poor man's C414 sound). It is undoubtedly the greatest sub $200 mic for home recordists looking to get into a good condensor. None of that scratchy high end stuff going on, just great rich sound.

I use the VX2 on drum overheads, vocals, acoustic guitar, room mic, you name it. It's one of those rare gems you point at stuff and for the most part it always sounds right. Vocals just shine, the mic sounds great worked up close also (it does "intimate" well). I rarely find a need for a brighter sound but the 1.1" capsules do come in handy on occassion. I even like the larger capsules on drums though.

CAD is a great mic company, but they are horrible at marketing themselves. The M179 should be selling for $500 and even then people would want them if they had a chance to hear them! The M9 competes with mics costing 3x as much and more. I don't know why they go the low sell route with almost no advertising but they do.

Sleepers, the whole line really.

War
Old 8th June 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Clip Audio
I couldnt agree more. I have found that it does really well in fig 8 for some vocalists. Not something I would have expected but it really does. Great mic all around.
I use omni 95% of the time with the VX2.

Try it if you haven't.

War
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

The CAD VX2 is one of my all time favorite mics and it sounds nothing like a U87....thank God (for me anyway).

The mic that supposdely sounds like a U87 is the E-350.
I have used the E-350 and E-300 and they are good mics, pretty forward and present I'd say.

CAD is a good company.

My friend just got a M179 from Front End Audio (as recommended from Warren). He's a picky person and he loves the mic to no end.

Warren, are they all Chinese now?
Part of their line?
What an you tell us about CAD these days?
Old 8th June 2006
Well amen, I've got two E-350's. But then-- I've also got two M9's. And an E-300 that I "liberated" the inner screen from... I don't advise doing this too much, any breath of the slightet breeze will set it quivering and distorting, but it does make the awesomest room mic, if you can be sure all the windows are closed.

And two vintage, discontinued M-37's that are my pride and joy etcetera for close miking a grand piano. And the ultra-cheap GXL 2200's, with their evaporated gold diaphragms, four of those, now there is a finely nuanced microphone.

There's something about CAD mics that inspires a fierce loyalty. Maybe... they're just really good? Is that possible?
Old 8th June 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGuitrst
Part of their line?
I was writing some speculative info here for you but I'll do you one better: I'll ask CAD myself and report back.

War
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
My friend just got a M179 from Front End Audio (as recommended from Warren). He's a picky person and he loves the mic to no end.

Gosh Mad, you dont even claim me in public anymore?!?!
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

I've had a CAD VX2 for about 3 years. It's a wonderful mic. A U87 and VX2 are about as different as LD condensers can be. The VX2 is entirely a great mic. CAD nailed it with that design. In 20 or 30 years, I wouldn't be surprised if they were prized vintage mics.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson
There's something about CAD mics that inspires a fierce loyalty. Maybe... they're just really good? Is that possible?
the ones ive heard are just that good and as they dont get the recognition they deserve us owners feel compelled to rave about them. i mean the real CADs made in the US of course i dont know how much faith i would put in the 'new' GXL series they seem like the same designs as every other cheep-o chinese mics out there. if people hanging onto mics is any sign of 'goodness' i never see used CADs for sale.

i get so much mileage out of my M37s the few extra bucks i paid for the first one was well worth it. i would of outgrown any of the cheep mics that i was looking at at the time but i think i will always keep the CADs. even though i was starting to look at other mics when the chance to score a second M37 came up i had to take it. they are just that good, well at least i think so. its such a shame there isnt an Australian distributor for CAD anymore

i know many of the older CADs wernt the cheep mics they known for today, its such a shame they stoped making the good old mics in favour of the cheep-o chinese mics. but that seems to be the way of the world.
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

I got a Cad VSM, amazing mic. I tell ppl but they just don't get it? It's like, it's not a Neumann so it cant be that good. It gets lumped in with the cheap China mics but it has alot more class than that!
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Cool

Really great to see all the CAD fans speaking out here. Don't know why it is that these mics can't 'get no respect'. As well as their quad mic pre modules.

I like to think of owning older CAD gear (dare I sayeth 'vintage'?) as perhaps a very acquired taste... in addition to membership in a very exclusive club.
Old 9th June 2006
Gear Head

um I need another job lol for me to go pick up some mics any one need some help in maryland Just kiddin. But yeah I def need to check out these mics thanks everyone and warren especially for all ur good input. oh and the mic I think I was Talking about was the E-350. I heard its great.
Old 9th June 2006
Lives for gear

Well the CAD lovers are comming out of the woodwork. I have had a VX2 for about 6 years. It does not sound like any U87 i've heard, but I have loved this mic from the first day I heard it. I had first got it on loan from a dealer for a large session I was doing and of course had to own it. My mic locker is very well rounded and the VX2 is still used quite often.

I also owned an E300 for quite a while and didn't think it sounded much like a U87 either. It sounded good, but didn't have the mids I was looking for.
Old 11th June 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Part of their line?
Mad, according to our rep at CAD the entire line is now assembled in China as well. The engineering is done in Ohio, with the exception of the GXL line they sell (GXL = designed and built by the Chinese).

War
Old 11th June 2006
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead

I hate that they discontinued it, but at the time they had not had an order for one in over 6 months so they saw no real interest to keep that part of the line going.

War
+1

The VX-2 is a great mic, and a real sleeper. It was a mic that not enough people expected or were ready for at the time.
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Maniac

I have a couple of the old CAD mics. I have always liked the E100 as a general purpose condenser, and the E350 as a weird, but totally great room mic or vocal on the right person. With a ton of other choices around, the fact that the 350 even makes it to a stand for certain vocals is pretty great! Totally cool mics, the old ones anyway. I havent tried any of the newer ones. I keep hearing great things about the big tube mic that everyone seems to love in this thread as well.
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

E 100

I did make pro recordings with e100 in my acoustic guitar. Very good !
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

I believe the VSM and VX2 are close cousins. I own a lot of mics and the VSM is one of my favourite vocal mics. When I did the male vocal mic shootout on this site I believe the VSM was at the top of this list. CAD makes some great mics.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search