The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cad that sounds like u87 the discontinued one question Condenser Microphones
Old 29th July 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie View Post
Isnt it amazing how your opinion on something can change after actually using it.
All this time I was looking for that U87 sound, and now that I tried an older u87 and u87ai, I have been amazed at how boring the mic is, I cannot believe it!

As much as I do pop more than rock, I am still wondering why Rock producers don't use the Sony c800g more, I'm positive that James Lugo bought one a couple of months ago.
Old 29th July 2009
Lives for gear

Thats pretty much it, its not a bad mic but you kind of expect more for such a expensive mic before you even start. You also have to remember they were designed in the days of large consoles and tape, where everything else added character and a mic that cut though could be so powerful. Time have changed and so should many of the things we use.

Anyway there is a tendency to idolise these kind of mics before we even use them and to claim you want that sound when you don't even know what it is is crazy. If you think you want the sound of mic x then try mic x for a baseline then try mic y and z. As videoracer said you 'are either in a for great disappointment or a pleasant surprise' because all mics are different but you may just find the mic you like along the way.
Old 29th July 2009
A mic I've found to not have any cheap replacements has to be the sony mic. I think the C12 tone is well represented in the SP T3, there are tons of U47 and U67 clones, no c800g clones yet, and no, the Peluso VTB is not even in the same ballpark!
Old 29th July 2009
Lives for gear

Since the Arabella has almost doubled in price, what U47 clone do you like?
Old 3rd August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
it sounded exactly like a U87 when neither was plugged in. The a/b was identical!
And they nulled perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
i have the c1 the b3 and the tube mic and although they are more powerfull than they cost they do not comeclose to the u87 and i love em to death always dependable i had one that i dropped down 12 wooden stairs on accedent and i swear it worked better after i dropped it. awsome for the value but no match for the almighty u 87
I also have a SP C1 and I don't think it sounds like a U87, either. FWIW, I've heard U87's that didn't sound like... you'd expect.
Old 3rd August 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie View Post
no cheep mic is going to come close
i have read the equitek 350 is a good pretender of a u47
This is true- Great mic. Cheap on ebay. or the 300
Old 21st September 2010
Talking About the CAD e350 and the U87

Well, what I will say as a new member here and looking at a really old thread! It's what everybody else says, no mic is the perfect mic. But the CAD mics are amazing!!! When recording my album (soon to be released) we tried several different mics.

Telefunken Elam 251
Mikrotech Gefell MV692 with an M7 capsule
Neumann U87 (with Andreas Grosser Modification)
Neumann TLM 103
CAD e350 (courtesy of Joel Patterson!!! GREATEST GUY EVER!)
Thomann T-Bone SCT 2000 (Nady 1150)
Audiotechinca AT-3035
and a SE Electronics 2200a

And hands down on my voice the best mics are the
CAD e350
TLM 103
and then the U87.

There is nothing almighty about the U87 and the engineer recording me that day (a good friend of mine) didn't even wanna use the U87 because he thought it to bland. But for rap vocals, man... all three of those mics rock! And also, it depends on the preamp because I've heard a cheap 3035 stand next to a Neumann and the Nady out perform both on the right preamp and voice

But once again it's not about the price you pay for gear... it's about the talent and skill of an artist and Engineer.

Also, I think my next mic purchase will be a the CAD m179, it's looks the right choice for a rapper I'm working with right now. Hopefully, I can get it before we finish the project!

Peace,
min
Old 22nd September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamoson View Post
I have heard people say that one U87 sounded better than another U87, ergo If a U87 doesn't sound like a U87 a CAD or A C1 probably doesn't sound quite like it either.
This is very true. It's why they make stereo pairs of microphones. You can't own a Mic for a year and expect to go buy another and have it sound identical. It is gonna sound close though.

I have no idea what CAD mic your a talking about. Truthfully it might be a decent mic but I doubt it sounds like a u87
Old 23rd September 2010
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know1 View Post
This is very true. It's why they make stereo pairs of microphones. You can't own a Mic for a year and expect to go buy another and have it sound identical. It is gonna sound close though.

I have no idea what CAD mic your a talking about. Truthfully it might be a decent mic but I doubt it sounds like a u87
You haven't read the previous posts. The mic he was looking for was the CAD e350. And it has a great feel and I can see how people would compare it to a U87. But honestly I believe it sounds better, but that is on male voices. Great mic, really great mic, if you can find it!

(Don't tell me you doubt it sounds better, because I have used both!)
Old 23rd September 2010
Gear Addict

Whatever happened to the VX2? Worked with one for about 6 years. Did they ever actually make the digital interface card that the original advertising touted as an option?

I thought it was quite a big sounding mic, but found it sounding ferocious on some female voices, harsh at a few narrow peaks that a u67 immediately tamed.
Old 27th September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioboffin View Post
Whatever happened to the VX2? Worked with one for about 6 years. Did they ever actually make the digital interface card that the original advertising touted as an option?

I thought it was quite a big sounding mic, but found it sounding ferocious on some female voices, harsh at a few narrow peaks that a u67 immediately tamed.
Idk, but I wish I could try a VX2 out. I don't anybody who has one here. Pity really.

Peace,
mista min
Old 27th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
Idk, but I wish I could try a VX2 out. I don't anybody who has one here. Pity really.

Peace,
mista min
As I recall Warhead has two of them still.....
Old 28th September 2010
true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
As I recall Warhead has two of them still.....
Yea, true... by here I meant in my local area
Old 29th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
Yea, true... by here I meant in my local area
Doh!! When you said "here" I thought you meant the GS forum, my bad.
Old 7th October 2014
Lives for gear

Bump... Is everyone still enjoying these mics? I have a few myself and would never part with them.

Tim
Old 7th October 2014
Lives for gear

Bump... Is everyone still enjoying these mics? I have a few myself and would never part with them.

Tim
Old 18th November 2018
Gear Addict

Is the 300 a step up from the 200? I'm dying to try one of these, as I've all but given up on finding a 350. lol
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

i picked up a 350 a few weeks ago, there was a 300 on the bay a few days ago... keep looking
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear

p.s. twenty years on, what's everyone using for the elastic on the fancy e350 ZM-1G suspension cradle? mine's so stretched it's unusable, so I suppose I'll get some 3mm bungee cord or something... anyone any suggestions?
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

well - CAD got back to me about the cord length of their original spec for the ZM-1G being 11 and 21 inches respectively (attached pdfs), but nothing about size/stretchiness type specs - they say they don't know.

I saw some other thread suggesting that the spec of the cord is important for the suspension to provide the correct isolation - anyone know anything about this?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ZM-1 shock cord specs-Model.pdf (10.2 KB, 4 views) File Type: pdf ZM-1 RESTRING.pdf (75.4 KB, 6 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search