The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Are KRK Rokit 8 G2's THAT bad? Studio Monitors
Old 14th May 2012
Gear maniac

Are KRK Rokit 8 G2's THAT bad?

Most of the professional reviews I've read are moderate to good.

Yet here they are bashed universally.

Are they really that bad, and if one 'learned' them, could he get good results with them?
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

Try them for yourself from a vendor with a loose return policy? Who cares what people on the internet say?

I personally am not a fan of KRK's however, my drummer has a pair..
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

I have a pair of gen 1's for a long time. I have no problem making mixes that translate on them, but I am used to them.
Old 14th May 2012
Gear Head

I like mine. Especially for the price-point.

Are they completely transparent and color-free? Nah
Can you make a great sounding mix on them? Absolutely.
Again, it's more about 'knowing how they sound' than anything.
Old 14th May 2012
Gear interested

They are fairly cheap on the used market.
They are all not that bad, but it really depends on what you are mixing.
Play it by ear.
Old 14th May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostwars View Post
From the thread KRK Rokit 6 G2 V Yamaha hs80m on 8th Mar 2012

I use a pair of Rockit 8s to check the end of my mixes because they aren't totally flat. A lot of people think they aren't really pro monitors but in a properly treated room, they don't sound bad. In a crappy room, they are going to sound hyped. They aren't surgical tools but fine for tracking and hearing what your mix will sound like on mid-range stereos, etc. I use 2 other sets of monitors to check mixes: Focal Solo 6s and Avantones. If you are using just one pair of monitors to mix, you're hearing a fraction of the whole story no matter what you're using.
Like I said before, in a correctly treated room they sound great for what they are. Especially if you are producing or mixing bass heavy mixes. People say the bass is hyped but there is a knob on the back to tune them to your room.

For $500 they aren't bad. Pay attention to your room setup and that will make all the difference.
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ludovico View Post
From the thread Need monitor advice on 11th May 2012

KRK RP8 Rockits (gen1) are awsome for listening to music; which is exactly why they are mediocre at best to mix.
Old 14th May 2012
Gear maniac

I use KRK monitors. I'm sure there are better, but for the price I'm not complaining. Of course context is important. Depending on what you are doing they may be sufficient.

If music consumers were firing up their elite Adam studio monitors to rock out, it would make sense to make it sound perfect on those. But they aren't listening to music on awesome studio reference monitors. They're listening on crap car stereos and earbuds.

Solution? Mix on car stereo speakers. Million dollar studio owners will think you sound terrible, everyone else will think you rock.
Old 15th May 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by VastArray View Post
If music consumers were firing up their elite Adam studio monitors to rock out, it would make sense to make it sound perfect on those. But they aren't listening to music on awesome studio reference monitors. They're listening on crap car stereos and earbuds.

Solution? Mix on car stereo speakers. Million dollar studio owners will think you sound terrible, everyone else will think you rock.
+1
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Except for those listening with headphones. Or on their TV. Or in a different car. The whole point of studio monitors is that commercial-grade sound systems are flawed in very different ways. You want the flattest possible response to reduce that margin of error.
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear
no, they're not THAT bad.

in fact you can make amazing music using anything. these are way better than just anything. learn them and you can do good things. you will always find with any monitors that they are all pretty limited by your room.

I have very VERY rarely encountered a home studio that was a well acoustically treated as a control room in a real studio. I mean, maybe twice out of the couple hundred home studios I've been to in my life.

In every case the monitors are compromised by the room far more than by their own limitations.

I've worked in some astoundingly amazing studios with incredible control rooms where you could plunk down a pair of mackie compact monitors (not that you'd need to, but the point remains) and mix on them with flawless translation because of the incredible room. the monitors have their issues, but the room makes anything possible.
Old 17th May 2012
Gear interested

IMO KRKs are funky hyped on the lows, and lack highs, I don't care for them.
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudwalker View Post
Again, it's more about 'knowing how they sound' than anything.
This is right. Problem with places like gearslutz is that while there's a lot of great info, there's a lot of opinion.

If you can mix on them why care?

If you're not getting bass response down to the right notes, that's a different matter, if they're not loud enough or not accurate at low SPL, that's another matter.

I have a single R6 g2 I keep to A/B on, why? Because I know a lot of DJ's have them/that have them.
Old 17th May 2012
Gear maniac

You can certainly get good results from them (or anything else), but for the price, there are much better options out there.
Old 17th May 2012
Gear Head

Quote:

Lol why dont you give that a try and tell me how it goes.
Old 17th May 2012
Gear Maniac

The G2's aren't bad at all. I think a lot of pros think they make your mix sound "good" rather than accurate, but I've never experienced that. I find they are a bit bright but all it takes is listening to tons of music on them every day so I can get my ears tuned to their natural sound. And honestly at our budget you should still be cross referencing your mixes with other speakers anyways. Most of the people that bash them have Genelecs sitting at their left and right... that says it all.
Old 17th May 2012
Quote:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search