The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
soundcraft fx16 v. allen & heath mix wiz 16:2??? Multi-Effects Processors (HW)
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Nut

soundcraft fx16 v. allen & heath mix wiz 16:2???

Hi. I really need some user opinions for these two mixers. I'm having to buy a new mixer, because neither of the one's I own suit my purposes anymore.

I don't want to spend a grand but that is apparently what I need to do.

I'm recording 16 tracks into a computer so I need a mixer that has good sounding mic pres and direct outs for each track or selectable to post-fader on the inserts.

I'm not concerned with aux ins/outs or even eq, i mix entirely in the computer.

So I'm looking at the Soundcraft fx16 and the Allen & Heath mix wiz 16:2.

I'm recording all guitars and then overdubbing vocals. Maybe later if we find a drummer that fits in, we might go that route.

Any opinions on the mixers in question are greatly appreciated. Thanks! Bert
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

I use a Soundcraft fx16, like it a lot. It has direct outs on each channel; you can choose the direct outs to be pre or post fader/eq.

Never used an A&H 16:2 but it seems like a very nice mixer too, their other mixers are certainly good.

Overall i get the impression that the Soundcraft gives u more routing options so i would choose that one!

cheers!
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

I have no experience with the Soundcraft but I have an A&H MixWiz 16:2 which functions as my rehearsal PA (and live board for the occasional self-mixed gig).

I love the A&H. The mic pres are hardly boutique, but I like them better than the old Mackies (haven't heard the Onyx)--a little more mojo, or meat, or something. Decent EQ, respectable headroom, very solidly built. There's really not much not to like. I think to get anything better you're talking Midas territory.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manymanyhaha
Hi. I really need some user opinions for these two mixers. I'm having to buy a new mixer, because neither of the one's I own suit my purposes anymore.

I don't want to spend a grand but that is apparently what I need to do.

I'm recording 16 tracks into a computer so I need a mixer that has good sounding mic pres and direct outs for each track or selectable to post-fader on the inserts.

I'm not concerned with aux ins/outs or even eq, i mix entirely in the computer.

So I'm looking at the Soundcraft fx16 and the Allen & Heath mix wiz 16:2.

I'm recording all guitars and then overdubbing vocals. Maybe later if we find a drummer that fits in, we might go that route.

Any opinions on the mixers in question are greatly appreciated. Thanks! Bert
I've actually used both quite a bit. I have an original MixWizard and where I work has the Soundcraft you mentioned. I've used them for very different applications though. . . comparing the pre isn't something I can do.

The build quality of the A & H is much, much better. I've found (unscientifcally) that the headroom is better on the A & H. The only thing the Soundcraft beats the A & H on is the fact that you can switch the Direct Out pre/post fader with a switch. With the A & H you have to solder jumpers on the board; otherwise it ships post fader.

I'd pick the A & H.
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Nut

I mix on a FX16 at a small local venue pretty much every weekend. I also occasionally mix for a cover band that supplies their own PA which has a A&H 16:2.

Personally I like the A&H much, much better. It's a lot more sturdy. I've actually had quite a few issues with the FX16, the fader strips started all getting crackly recently. It will do some weird things every now and then which drive me crazy.

The FX16 is good but I'd go A&H any day for the same price
Old 1st June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadly
The only thing the Soundcraft beats the A & H on is the fact that you can switch the Direct Out pre/post fader with a switch. With the A & H you have to solder jumpers on the board; otherwise it ships post fader.

I'd pick the A & H.
You do not have to do any soldering. The unit ships with the direct out pre-fade, pre-eq, pre-insert. You can configure both with jumpers on a per-channel basis. It's pretty easy, as I just did it (set my direct outs for post-eq, pre-fade). Take off the bottom, grab some tweezers, move the jumpers. If you're at-all comfortable opening up a PC, it's a very simple thing to do.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetron5000
You do not have to do any soldering. The unit ships with the direct out pre-fade, pre-eq, pre-insert.
That must have changed at some point in the production run. I've never tinkered with mine at all, and the direct outs are definitely post-EQ and post-fade (couldn't say for sure about the inserts).
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Nut

I'll give a vote for the FX16, although I'll admit I've never used the Allen and Heath board. I use my FX16 exactly as you plan to--direct outs into a DAW (002r/PT LE for me). The build quality might not be as good as the A & H, but I'm not lugging it around--it just sits in the studio and works great for my needs.

One thing to keep in mind is the Lexicon reverb engine in the FX 16--it is by no means a great sounding reverb--but on the right source, or in a pinch it can be useful. I thought it was crap until my M-one XL was in the shop for over a month--to my surprise I discovered it is useable if you really play with it, and don't use too much. I don't use it often, but it's patched into the 002 and sometimes sees some use when I'm already using the M-one XL and I'm maxed out on plugins. Just another tool in the tool box.

Food for thought.
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Middleton
That must have changed at some point in the production run. I've never tinkered with mine at all, and the direct outs are definitely post-EQ and post-fade (couldn't say for sure about the inserts).
Yeah, I literally just bought mine a two weeks ago... Using it for the first time this weekend....
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

I have an A&H 16 and it sounds great and is built like a tank. I have only had two issues with it. 1- The ass end of it is pretty big and I could never find a rack to hold it properly without making any mods to it. 2- back to the ass end again.. the whole input output section is mounted on a hinge so you can swing it to point down (don't know why anyone would do that.. you can't see what the hell you are doing) or your can point it out, like a normal mixer. Anyhow, the ribbon cables must be very snuggly tucked into this hinge thingy, because I have had a couple problems with mine.. had to take it apart and reseat them a few times. Forget what anyone says about a "british sound" to it though... I think they are very transparent sounding.
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davetron5000
You do not have to do any soldering. The unit ships with the direct out pre-fade, pre-eq, pre-insert. You can configure both with jumpers on a per-channel basis. It's pretty easy, as I just did it (set my direct outs for post-eq, pre-fade). Take off the bottom, grab some tweezers, move the jumpers. If you're at-all comfortable opening up a PC, it's a very simple thing to do.
That's definately changed then. I have the original MixWizard- it's solder only, no jumpers.

Does any one know when the change occurred? Mk2 or Mk3?
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWallStudio
2- back to the ass end again.. the whole input output section is mounted on a hinge so you can swing it to point down (don't know why anyone would do that.. you can't see what the hell you are doing)
I think it's so it can be mounted vertically in a rack, as opposed to having it as a "desktop". I kinda wish the back end would fold out totally horizontally....
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Nut

Thanks all for your responses.

Even though those of you have worked on both preferred the A & H, I went with the Soundcraft because I found a great price ($100 cheaper than the A & H) with free shipping from a trusted vendor, and I am kind of in a hurry so I didn't have time to wait to see if a bid for a cheaper price on Ebay would pan out.

Also, my previous main board is an old and orignal 1604 that I bought used in 1995 and I was getting a good recording with it. I figure the Soundcraft will easily meet my expectations, based on what I've read.

Again, thanks again for all your responses, they helped immensely. Bert
Old 14th April 2015
Gear Head

could someone tell me if the direct outputs on either of these mixers contain the aux send effects blend when set to post fader? I want to capture 16 tracks of live recording mixed from the board and not clean. Have i explained that correctly?!

Many thanks!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search