The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The MXL V6 or the ADK Hamburg
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

The MXL V6 or the ADK Hamburg

The MXL V6 or the ADK Hamburg? I would be recording through a Toft ATC-2. I am asking for advice and home recording experiences with these mics. Both are suppose to be warm and good for vocals and are priced the same. I am already leaning toward the Hamburg because it has the Hp filter and -18db pad and I can demo it from some pro shops (I think). So, in the tradition of Gearslutz....here is the famous question...which one should I buy?
Old 29th May 2006
kid
Gear Head

I don't know about the ADK but I do own the V6. I did some male tenor style vocals with it thought the results sounded very good. It sounds expensive. There is a certain sheen to the high end and a bit of richness to the lows. It really does sound tube like. I used a Seventh Circle N72 preamp with a littler RNC gentle compression. The shockmount is a bit lame. For the price you really can't go wrong. It could easilyy find other uses as your collection grows.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Head

I've recorded the Hamburg with a toft atc and had usable results. The only Marshall I've had experience with is a 77 and that mic really sounds great! The Hamburg is a very nice mic at $200.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flail19
So, in the tradition of Gearslutz....here is the famous question...which one should I buy?
In the tradition of Gearslutz....

both!
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay
In the tradition of Gearslutz....

both!
heh
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Addict

No experience with the ADK, but the V6 gets a huge thumbs up from me. Everything about it screams "more expensive than it really is", from the sound, to the look of the mic itself, to the snazzy faux wood box that it comes in.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

I love the Hamburg.

The pad sounds bad. they corrected that supposedly in newer models. Ask the dealer if this is a mk2.

The rolloff is unneccessary, IMO. It sounds like a more open, less (low mid) thick U87. There really isn't a massive low end. Don't eat the mic. I guess from super close you may need it, but...

It likes tube pres. Loved the GreatRiverme1nv.

I just cut tracks simultaneously through:

Innertube modded U87> Millenia Hv3
and
Hamburg>UA LA610

They are so close it's crazy. Not that they're equal mics--put them both through clean gain and there's a big difference. But, the two combinations? really close. Before AND after light compression. In a mix and solo'd. The Innertube=ever so slightly smoother dynamic response. ADK=ever so slightly edgier upper midrange. But, these differences are slight.

ADK has made a fine male vocal mic, IMO. I'm curious to hear the mk2...supposedly a fatter, smoother sounding transformer...and fixed the pad noise issues.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search