The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ghost or GS3000??
Old 12th April 2012
Here for the gear

Ghost or GS3000??

Hey guys

I am in the market for my first console, and am currently wiring a nice 1/4 patchbay together with nuetriks and mogami in preparation

Using PT10 with the toolkit, and probably going with 2 MOTU 24i/o clocked from my Lavry blue which will also serve as the stereo buss converter

I'd like to start working with stems, summing, and maybe even going channel by channel from PT (if track count allows)...

However, my budget is pretty limited (about 2k) and coupled with my inexperience with working with analog (I've been ITB for 4 years), I am setting my sights realistically rather than getting in over my head with something like a vintage refurb etc... baby steps for me right now I can always upgrade as I move on

So usually there is nothing locally available for this type of gear, but lo and behold I am presented with two viable (I think?) contenders:

24ch GS3000
32ch Ghost (no MIDI)

They are both priced within $250 of each other

I know both of the owners and they have had the boards since new and kept them in their smoke free personal studios. The Ghost can also be had with additional patchbays and wiring for a bit extra unless I can get him to throw it in

24ch is plenty for me but 32 is fine too

I will be visiting and testing both in the next week or so and thoroughly interrogating them

My question to you guys is - any opinions/expertise/advise regarding these two consoles? I understand they were designed by the same person so I'm guessing they are similar?

Just looking for any praise, criticism, things to watch out for, known issues, reliability, sonic quality, ergonomics etc...

Any and all responses are very much appreciated, as there is no one to ask here in my hometown!

Many thanks...

/jsa
Old 12th April 2012
Go for the Ghost. Was my first desk (24 with midi mutes) and I loved it. GS3000 was never my thing
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Ghost

You'll enjoy using the extra inputs for efx returns.
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Ghost
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

I own a Ghost and it's bad ass.
Old 16th April 2012
Here for the gear

bump

OK thanks very much for the replies - so far it's 4-0 for the Ghost...

...any other comments or user experiences with either console?

Thanks again
/jsa
Old 16th April 2012
Gear Guru

Ok, I'll join in. I have only had a very brief go on the GS3000 ages ago and my friend used to own a Ghost around the same time, so that's the less than ideal info backdrop.

But the GS3000 made a good inpression pretty instantly at the time. The Ghost seemed like it was very saggy/fluffy/non-precise sounding, especially once you yamk a bit of eq around. Blurry. Frustrating.

From these memories I would at the very least get a juicy supply if you get a Ghost to see if the whole thing stiffens up. The Allen &Heath did feel solid in standard. The way my friend's Ghost felt I wouldn't want one. For what it's worth.
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

Last June I outfitted our broadcast studio with a A&H Zed 436. The built-in A-to-D sucks but otherwise it's been a great board and it was under $1800 brand new from my Sweetwater guy.

I've owned some A&H products in the past that I did not care for but this ZED gives me 40 inputs at mixdown with 32 of them on slide faders. I use the extra channels for effects returns.

The EQ can be switched out of the signal path but it's really a good sounding EQ and that's one of the things that attracted me to this piece. It also has direct outputs on all the channels.

In our recording studio we have a Neve 8816/8804 with API preamps and lots of goodies. The ZED sound quality hangs with the Neve very well and provides EQ too.

The ZED 436 is a good sounding piece of equipment if you would like "NEW" instead of used. I have zero time for maintenance issues so I needed new in our broadcast studio. The ZED 436 has exceeded everyones expectations.

We use Logic with Apogee converters at both studios and our content is primarily rock.

Good luck and good music to you.
Old 16th November 2012
Here for the gear

Gs 3000

I would guess that any of the people who suggested the Ghost, have not actually spent an entire session with both. Anyone who has, would easily see the benefits, both audibly and with regards to workflow, of the GS 3000. Besides, the exact same person who designed the Ghost, designed the GS3000, and he intended for the GS 3000 to be a superior board.

I have worked extensively on both consoles and I have gotten very little excitement on the Ghost. I actually had higher hopes for the ghost too, but my mind was instantly changed when actually using both. The pre's are excellent on both units, but I felt I had more clarity from the GS3000. We actually had a guitar track that we just couldn't get any mojo out of from an API 512, a UA610, an avalon 737, or a Millennia pre. Surprisingly the GS 3000 pre was what worked on this specific track. In no way am I suggesting that the GS3000 pre's are better than those previously stated, but they do have some magic that can be the right thing in the right situation.

The GS3000 feels much more like a professional board as well. The routing possibilities far surpass the ghost and the EQ is actually workable. You can send any signal to anywhere in the board. I loved it.

The only reason these boards sell for so cheap and are so rarely used, is because Allen and Heath only manufactured them for 1 year, and distributed them for 2 years. Most people have just never used them and they have no idea what a gem they have.

Also, Creation Audio Labs has an incredible Mod they can do for the Ghost, and because they were designed very similarly, they also do the same mod for the GS 3000. Get your GS 3000 modded and you'll have a console that is unmatched by anything under 20-30k
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear
If you want to work with 24 tracks, you probably want those additional 8 channels of the 32-channel console.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioinfinity View Post
I would guess that any of the people who suggested the Ghost, have not actually spent an entire session with both. Anyone who has, would easily see the benefits, both audibly and with regards to workflow, of the GS 3000. Besides, the exact same person who designed the Ghost, designed the GS3000, and he intended for the GS 3000 to be a superior board.

I have worked extensively on both consoles and I have gotten very little excitement on the Ghost. I actually had higher hopes for the ghost too, but my mind was instantly changed when actually using both. The pre's are excellent on both units, but I felt I had more clarity from the GS3000. We actually had a guitar track that we just couldn't get any mojo out of from an API 512, a UA610, an avalon 737, or a Millennia pre. Surprisingly the GS 3000 pre was what worked on this specific track. In no way am I suggesting that the GS3000 pre's are better than those previously stated, but they do have some magic that can be the right thing in the right situation.

The GS3000 feels much more like a professional board as well. The routing possibilities far surpass the ghost and the EQ is actually workable. You can send any signal to anywhere in the board. I loved it.

The only reason these boards sell for so cheap and are so rarely used, is because Allen and Heath only manufactured them for 1 year, and distributed them for 2 years. Most people have just never used them and they have no idea what a gem they have.

Also, Creation Audio Labs has an incredible Mod they can do for the Ghost, and because they were designed very similarly, they also do the same mod for the GS 3000. Get your GS 3000 modded and you'll have a console that is unmatched by anything under 20-30k
Who was the designer ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I owned a GS3000 for a while, but only got to use it for a few mixing projects. It always sounded good for a console in that price range, had a lot of routing flexibility, and seemed reliable. I then spent the next four years managing a studio with a Ghost. It was totally fine, but I always found the EQs a little bit finicky (tiny movements made a big difference that made it trickier to zone in on stuff) and that control room volume pot was a NIGHTMARE. We went through three of them in those four years. I also found that the more you had going on (channels operating, EQs engaged, etc), the more I could hear the definition in the console "sag." I never hated it or anything, but when we replaced it with an Amek Angela, the difference in sound and workflow were pretty night and day.

I never really tracked through either one. Always through outboard preamps.

Hope this helps!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search