Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Low End Theory (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/)
-   -   Equator D5 - Is there anything better? (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/low-end-theory/717975-equator-d5-there-anything-better.html)

dergit 25th January 2013 12:45 PM

Had mine for two weeks now and still in the honeymoon phase. Fantastic value, even at the price I had to pay in Europe (almost double).

gravyface 25th January 2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dergit (Post 8675088)
Had mine for two weeks now and still in the honeymoon phase. Fantastic value, even at the price I had to pay in Europe (almost double).

I'm balking at the $100 shipping/brokerage fees right now, but... :tut:

tfunster 25th January 2013 07:12 PM

For those who have used the D5's extensively - are your mixes translating well? I'm having a hell of a time trying to get my mixes to translate to other systems on the D5's and I'm hoping some more room treatment will take care of the problem.

Ernest Buckley 25th January 2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfunster (Post 8676393)
For those who have used the D5's extensively - are your mixes translating well? I'm having a hell of a time trying to get my mixes to translate to other systems on the D5's and I'm hoping some more room treatment will take care of the problem.

Yes, I relied heavily on my ATH-M50s prior to mixing with the D5s. Now mixes are sitting nicely, better balance across the spectrum. How long have you had yours? Takes some time like all things...

SeriousPancakes 25th January 2013 09:18 PM

Having great results as far as translation over here. From car stereos to laptop and consumer speakers. Sounds like a room problem over there, unless you're doing super bass heavy music. I talked to Equator and they said they were putting out a sub soon that goes with the D5's.

Anyway, I still have that pulsing/lfo sound that people were complaining about. Still these speaker's details are on par with my barefoots.

tfunster 25th January 2013 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley (Post 8676762)
Yes, I relied heavily on my ATH-M50s prior to mixing with the D5s. Now mixes are sitting nicely, better balance across the spectrum. How long have you had yours? Takes some time like all things...

I've had mine for about 8 months so they're totally broken in. When I get a mix sounding good on them, I find a lot of times the midrange is a little scooped and bass is too loud and overpowering on other systems that I know well.

tedtan 26th January 2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeriousPancakes (Post 8676933)
Still these speaker's details are on par with my barefoots.

Wow, great to hear! How do they compare to the Barefoots in other areas?

SeriousPancakes 27th January 2013 12:07 AM

The lower frequencies definitely aren't as present so you definitely should use a sub if you're going to be doing super bass heavy music. That being said, I've used them for EDM/Hip Hop mixing/mastering and the bass is really only missing an octave so it's really not too bad. I definitely use another reference pair of speakers when doing pitched 808s and whatnot but they translate the low end of mids/highs transparently.

tedtan 27th January 2013 04:05 AM

Thanks, SeriousPancakes.

rainsinvelvet 23rd February 2013 09:00 PM

Just received my pair yesterday. After a few hours of listening I have to say- I'm very impressed! Excited to start a new album session tomorrow and put them through a workout.

Maldini 23rd February 2013 09:21 PM

Are these available anywhere in Europe or do you have to order them directl from Equator?

John57 23rd February 2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maldini (Post 8777717)
Are these available anywhere in Europe or do you have to order them directl from Equator?

Try this:

Hand in Hand Distribution | UK Distribution for 2box, Hosa, Waldorf, Equator Audio, Brace, Zaolla

dergit 23rd February 2013 10:36 PM

I ordered mine from thomann. A bit annoying when you know what they cost in the USA but I don't even remotely regret it and am convinced I could not have made a better purchase at that price point.

rainsinvelvet 24th February 2013 06:02 PM

Question for D5 users-
Are you angling the speakers in a bit to form your listening triangle? Or, are you keeping them facing straight out?

Does that make sense?

SeriousPancakes 24th February 2013 07:35 PM

I'm personally forming the audio triangle as I feel it creates the image better. Oh yeah another thing about these speakers, the imaging/phase. Jesus christ all mighty, it's like going from an old fuzzy television to a 1080p LCD.

RightOnRome 16th November 2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfunster (Post 8676948)
I've had mine for about 8 months so they're totally broken in. When I get a mix sounding good on them, I find a lot of times the midrange is a little scooped and bass is too loud and overpowering on other systems that I know well.

*based on the reviews i dont think this thread should be in the low end forum*

I just ordered some ..but this post worries me.. I haven't read many negative posts so im hoping its not the case for everyone .. im trying to get away from my harsh mid situation using KRKV8V2 .. I also have TOA cubes and they really push the mids but the lows and upper hi freq are left out.. I need speakers that are easy to mix with!

I guess I will find out in a week or so!

mattiasnyc 16th November 2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RightOnRome (Post 9597352)
*based on the reviews i dont think this thread should be in the low end forum*

I just ordered some ..but this post worries me.. I haven't read many negative posts so im hoping its not the case for everyone .. im trying to get away from my harsh mid situation using KRKV8V2 .. I also have TOA cubes and they really push the mids but the lows and upper hi freq are left out.. I need speakers that are easy to mix with!

I guess I will find out in a week or so!

I think they're easy to mix with, and I think it's easy to mistake the clarity in the mids with them being "bright". That said it doesn't really matter much since you might mix that range lower if that's how you perceive them. But you can adjust the tuning a bit my positioning and the three settings it has.

Also, you could slap a phase-linear broad eq on your master to adjust the response. The big deal about these speakers is the clarity of the midrange in my opinion. They deliver that like no other speaker I've heard in that price range.

plazmus 15th October 2016 12:56 AM

I've had the D5's for something like 4 years. Absolutely love them and recommend them to everyone. Haven't heard anything come close to their quality at that price point. Like everyone keeps saying, their clarity and stereo field are superb. They could do with a subwoofer though. They're great across the range and reproduce the low end you hear quite well, but they don't cover the low end you feel in your chest at all. So if you want something better than the D5's for not much money, get the D5's and a good and cheap subwoofer. Speaking of that subwoofer, if anyone has recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

kslight 15th October 2016 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plazmus (Post 12195702)
I've had the D5's for something like 4 years. Absolutely love them and recommend them to everyone. Haven't heard anything come close to their quality at that price point. Like everyone keeps saying, their clarity and stereo field are superb. They could do with a subwoofer though. They're great across the range and reproduce the low end you hear quite well, but they don't cover the low end you feel in your chest at all. So if you want something better than the D5's for not much money, get the D5's and a good and cheap subwoofer. Speaking of that subwoofer, if anyone has recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

I like my D5s...they get the job done and are practical for my space.

I use a Subpac S2 for my "sub."

miscend 16th October 2016 12:35 AM

Where is the love for D8s?

deniis35 17th October 2016 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miscend (Post 12197262)
Where is the love for D8s?

Got mine for 3 years now ,amazing monitors!!! No need fur a sub with these babies!!!

tedtan 17th October 2016 04:25 PM

I had D5s for a couple of years when Equator offered an upgrade to the D8s: just send in your D5s and pay the difference in cost. I only needed one pair, and I wanted to try the D8s, so I took them up on their offer. As a result, I had the D5s next to the D8s in my room for three or four days and go to shoot them out before returning the "loosing" pair. What I found was that the D8s keep all of the positive attributes of the D5s, but are also a bit more revealing in the upper mids and have better low end extension, so I kept the D8s and have no regrets.

maggotspawn 17th October 2016 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plazmus (Post 12195702)
Speaking of that subwoofer, if anyone has recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

I have an M-Audio 10" sub, works well with my Event TR6's.