The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WARM audio WA12
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Any suggestions for the best way to remove the rubber pads on the bottom of the WA12? I'd like to get this in the rack, but the pads are on there pretty tight. Don't want to rip them, as I'd like to still be able to put them back on if I ever need to. Thanks!
Old 2nd May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
Any suggestions for the best way to remove the rubber pads on the bottom of the WA12? I'd like to get this in the rack, but the pads are on there pretty tight. Don't want to rip them, as I'd like to still be able to put them back on if I ever need to. Thanks!
I don't have the WA12 but in the past, a hairdryer to heat up the adhesive and some pressing with a thumb has worked on other gear. Your mileage may vary of course.
Old 3rd May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
I don't have the WA12 but in the past, a hairdryer to heat up the adhesive and some pressing with a thumb has worked on other gear. Your mileage may vary of course.
Good idea! I'll give that a try this evening. Thanks!
Old 3rd May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
Good idea! I'll give that a try this evening. Thanks!
It also works for taking stickers off of gear without leaving residue.
Old 27th August 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

In the manual (for mark I) it says about the outputs:

"We recommend for best results to use only one output at a time"

Can anyone shed some light on this, in what way would the results be dimished by using the preamp as a splitter?
Old 14th September 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
In the manual (for mark I) it says about the outputs:

"We recommend for best results to use only one output at a time"

Can anyone shed some light on this, in what way would the results be dimished by using the preamp as a splitter?
It has one output transformer, one output essentially. that transformer may drive 2 loads depending on what they are. If they are both active (IC) high impedance inputs, maybe so.. if they are transformer coupled themselves, then likely not.
Old 19th September 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply.

Right, the thing is, in the original printed manual it is stated that one can use both outputs at a time! That surprised me a bit, but then the current online manual basically says only to use one at a time.

Ideally I'd like to send an output to my TC interface (which is 20 kOhm) and the other output to a tube compressor which is also 20kOhm, both are electronically balanced inputs.
EDIT: Or to an unbalanced low input-level (-20dB), 500 kOhm Ibanez AD190 delay. I guess the passive Radial reamper would be a no-go, since it's nothing but a transformer.

The thing is, I know it functionally works on everything I've tried, including the reamper (I'll refrain from that from now on), and it seems fine, but I have not done any critical listening tests. I'm worried about compromising both the sound and the equipment, and I'm not a trained engineer. However, it would just be a neat way of splitting the signal. I do that with the Great River but then the second output is an unbalanced -10db output that doesn't go through the output transformer.

Last edited by GeorgeHayduke; 19th September 2017 at 11:53 PM..
Old 18th October 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHayduke View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Right, the thing is, in the original printed manual it is stated that one can use both outputs at a time! That surprised me a bit, but then the current online manual basically says only to use one at a time.

Ideally I'd like to send an output to my TC interface (which is 20 kOhm) and the other output to a tube compressor which is also 20kOhm, both are electronically balanced inputs.
EDIT: Or to an unbalanced low input-level (-20dB), 500 kOhm Ibanez AD190 delay. I guess the passive Radial reamper would be a no-go, since it's nothing but a transformer.

The thing is, I know it functionally works on everything I've tried, including the reamper (I'll refrain from that from now on), and it seems fine, but I have not done any critical listening tests. I'm worried about compromising both the sound and the equipment, and I'm not a trained engineer. However, it would just be a neat way of splitting the signal. I do that with the Great River but then the second output is an unbalanced -10db output that doesn't go through the output transformer.
If the 2 devices are electronically balanced inputs, then I would say it probably can drive them both fine. If in doubt, do a critical listen as you said. the chassis do say not to plug 2 outs at the same time. I have no idea if the original manuals said you could or not; but I wrote the updated Rev. 1.1 manuals and the manuals for the Rev 2 hardware versions during my tenure there, and I can guarantee you that the manuals I wrote don't say that. hehe
Old 7th November 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Alright, thanks for the input!

I basically decided not to go against best practice and instead rearranged my setup a bit, so I'm all good now.
Old 6th February 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

High-end mod of wa12

Quote:
Bruce, Hello, can you re-upload the image of clip 2 resistors-mod?
Old 26th October 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hello!

can anyone explain how to mod a WA12 500 MK1 to have a variable output volume pot?
It will be ok to have a 2 or 3 position switch at unity / -6 / -15 if a variable is too difficoult to fit in ...

and, what about the mod the previous post is talking about?
404 on WA website at the moment ...

thank you guys
greetings!
Old 3rd May 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

no one?
Old 20th May 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsound View Post
Hello!

can anyone explain how to mod a WA12 500 MK1 to have a variable output volume pot?
It will be ok to have a 2 or 3 position switch at unity / -6 / -15 if a variable is too difficoult to fit in ...

and, what about the mod the previous post is talking about?
404 on WA website at the moment ...

thank you guys
greetings!
go to the CAPI website and get the attenuator and PCB kit for it, and you could drill a hole and wire that in to the back, tied to the output XLR. Takes some tech experience but do-able...

CK
📝 Reply