The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trying to decide on Mic Pre's
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Trying to decide on Mic Pre's

DAV bg1 or API 212! i havent had a chance to play with them @ all, but im really desperate for a mic pre right now and i have bout 1,000$ budget and so far $200 is dedicated eitherthe rnc or art vla.

Any thoughts.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Rene
DAV bg1 or API 212! i havent had a chance to play with them @ all, but im really desperate for a mic pre right now and i have bout 1,000$ budget and so far $200 is dedicated eitherthe rnc or art vla.

Any thoughts.
API 212 definatly has my vote on this one!
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

ok

cool
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

What are you recording? Rock & Roll? (I vote API!)

Classical or Jazz? (I vote DAV!)

Both manufacturers come with excellent pedigree, but will flavor your work differently.

Jim
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

What do you think about a channel strip? toft very usable EQ and Compressor
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

well im more hip hop (sample base oriented)
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Hip Hop? Well, consider whether you prefer the color/punch of the API more than the clean gain of the DAV.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

thanks van that about answered my ?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

With the 212, keep in mind that you have to buy the power supply/rack which is pretty expensive.... I believe $600 only gets you the preamp card.

there is a lot of other stuff out there in the $1000 range. (Great River MP-1NV for example) If your set on API, then a 500 series lunchbox and pre might be a better investment than the 200 stuff.

An API rack is about $425, a 512 pre is $675. so you can get a channel of API for $1100

Also check out www.oldschoolaudio.com and www.brentaverill.com (an API rack and an OSA pre will get you under $1000)

other under $1000 pres to look at:

Hamptone HJFP2 and HVTP2
FMR RNP
Groove Tubes Brick
Grace 101
Summit Audio 221-2ba
Sebatron VMP-1000
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Used 1073? I always thought Hip Hop and the 1073 went hand in hand.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

yeah i looked @ the brick but didnt want to get laughed @, far as spending all this $$ on my front end but then using a brick as pre.
Old 23rd May 2006
You should get a Seventh Circle kit. You can get started with that much cash! Then you can build more later. http://www.seventhcirclestudios.com/SCA/SCA.htm the N72 does good for rap vocals! If you have a soldering iron and a multi meter you will be fine.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

hahaha u tellin me to burn my house down basicly, no but it looks interesting cant i just buy them fully done lol! and save myself the headache.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search