The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha HS80M vs. Event TR8 Studio Monitors
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Head

Yamaha HS80M vs. Event TR8

I'm looking for a pair in the 500-700e category, that would give me enough low end for basic mixing/mastering. These are the two models I have in mind. But I've heard HS80M has a bit weak bass response, despite the 8" cone. I've also heard the Events are a bit muffled, especially in the low frequencies. I have no opportunity for hearing them myself, so I have to decide based on what I read. Your views?
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Maniac

I´m interested in this too, planning to buy the HS80m. Any opinions welcome!
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Nut

if you are in the under $1000.00 budget area for monitors both are worthy of a listen. if you have a treated area for working(if you dont it doesnt matter what you buy, youll be working to hard and longer to get mixes to translate) the events will treat you fine. ive had them for over two years and you can get used to them really well. the things i hear on them are pretty consistent from source to source and room to room. that said many people will say they dont like them because people say they like what they have. the only thing you can do is try some out. if you arent committed to auditioning monitors just buy some you can afford and get used to them. i realize that i want better monitors at some point, but im gonna have to pay for the next step up which is $1200.00+ to get better. so buy the events and get some more treatment for your room with the extra cash.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Head

Thanks for your view on the Events. You suggested me to buy them, but you didn't mention any other monitors or how they compared. I still have no idea which would be better.
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

i would like to add something,

the HS80m was my first thought, after reading i found the Event TR8 and the Blue Desk Media 2.1 System . I mainly do Dance,electronix remix oriented stuff some rnb hiphop too, anyone using these other two monitors and could give some feedback how they compare to the Event TR8

Sorry JP09 i thought its the best way to post my question in your thread cause it has to do with the Events. Did not want to hijack you thread
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafze
Sorry JP09 i thought its the best way to post my question in your thread cause it has to do with the Events. Did not want to hijack you thread
No worries, were on the same boat. 06 btw.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Head

Anyone? I'm sure there are people on this forum, just been in search of monitors in this price class.
Old 24th May 2006
Read the latest edition of EQ magazine for a review on the Yamaha's.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Head

^ Thanks.

Here's the link for others interested:
http://www.eqmag.com/story.asp?secti...torycode=14160
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
But I've heard HS80M has a bit weak bass response,
I dont know bout that... I peeped them in GC and they have a nice punch in the low mids that the HR824(i owned a pr) or the Events didnt have. And they still had low end. Now, the topend was bright, but IMO nice. I wonder how they would do in a long mixing sessions. I will be getting a pair soon.
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Head

Thanks. I'm 99% leaning towards the Yamahas now. Actually already ordered them, just haven't payed yet. There's a -2dB switch to reduce the possible brightness.

My ONLY worry is the frequency response, as Yamaha states it in -10dB which is ridicilous! It could well be -3dB at 50Hz.

A frequency graph would be all I need.
Old 24th May 2006
Here for the gear

I recently bought a pair of the yamaha's after testing them against Event TR8's, KRK V8's , and Mackie HR824's. The source materials were Jay-Z's "Blueprint", Helmet's "Betty", and RHCP "Blood Sugar Sex Magic".

The yamaha's pretty much blew everything out of the water, and I got the pair for $600.

The Mackie's made great sounding records sound boring, the KRK's were washy in the upper mids, and the Event's sounded like they were over compensating in the low end.

Just FYI.

Matt
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP06
Thanks for your view on the Events. You suggested me to buy them, but you didn't mention any other monitors or how they compared. I still have no idea which would be better.
what would be better is what you like. most good mixers and engineers use several pairs of monitors for different areas of the mix because alot of times you cant get what you want from one set. name one good studio that has one pair of monitors? that said just get a pair that YOU like the sound of and learn them. in any price range you would have to get used to the monitors in your room. i believe that any of the monitors talked about here in this thread could treat you right. i use the events sometimes 12-14 hours a day and they dont annoy me at all. i like them. they are fairly smooth and accurate.when i go and listen to stuff i do at my studio at the studio i work at(dynaudio mains and ns10s), they translate well. i am going to add the yamahas to my setup sometime this year. when i heard them, i thought they sounded pretty tight with a good amout of low end. when i get them, ill set them up in my room, and try to mix with them. if they arent cutting it ill return them and try a different pair of monitors and repeat until i fing what im looking for. you should do the same, its called auditioning monitors and its really important so that you like what you buy.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Nut

I just got the Yamahas Hs80m. I love these things. I just finished a track and I could not dial in the mix on my old TAPCO S-5. Low end did not translate well. In fact, I did over 30 mixes and burned to cd to listen on other systems. I had to only do 2 mixes with the Yamahas. They really bring out things I didn't hear before. Also, I like all the controls on rear to customize sound to your room. Here is the track I mixed on the Yamahas .. http://web.mac.com/a.daleclark/iWeb/Site%202/Movie.html
Old 25th May 2006
Here for the gear

Forgive me b'cause i really am not experienced but...

Quote:
A frequency graph would be all I need.
Don't get me wrong, this is not a flame but a humble observation.

A frequency graph will tell you:

The frequency response of the measuring mic, the mic preamp, the test equipment, the room they were measured in, the response at a distance you may never use them at, measured at a steady state level (music is not steady state)

What a frequency graph wont tell you is:

How they compare to other speakers in other rooms with other measuring devices and various ballistic settings.

Frequency response graphs are very useless. Without knowing the benchmark of the testing, they are not even good guesswork.

Remember in school how 30 lab students would get 30 different results with the same experiment?

Uh ha.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Maniac

thx for all comments , really nice track adclark let me think of moby mixed with 80s synthie pop

i tend to the mediadesk system cause i have a smaller room ( 3,5m to 4,0m) and a 2.1 system should do better than one pair 8" , but the hs80m with the dedicated sub would do a nice job there too

greetz
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burton Nash
A frequency graph will tell you:
Well I didn't mean any home-made graphs. But a graph measured in an un-echoic space with a flat measuring mic.
Old 4th August 2009
Lives for gear

This is an old thread, but I just auditioned and put a deposit on a pair of HS80Ms this afternoon. Price was a major determining factor as I got this particularly pair for not much more than the usual cost of a single speaker, but having used other 8" active monitors before (Mackie HR824, Tapco S8) I was really impressed with the midrange detail and "air" of these... dialing up an AAC file of "Moondance" revealed a real sense of space for the drums... for the first time I was hearing the room, rather than just hearing "reverb".

The bass extension is also very, very good... deep without being flabby, nice and punchy. Unless you're doing rap or need deep bass really loud, I'd reckon you could live without a sub.

I was saving up for a pair of Adams A7s but because of the price and an upcoming wedding (namely, my own) I figured I drop a much smaller amount of a pair of M-Audio BX5a (which, incidentally, are very good sounding for the price) or similar to hold me over for the rest of the year. However for a couple of hundred bucks more the Yamahas were too good not to get. I can understand why they're getting considentally excellent reviews. Can't wait to get them into my studio!
Old 19th April 2010
Lives for gear
Grahpic

Here you go
HS80m frequency response
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...y-response.jpg

it helps a bit, but it's not the only thing u should care
at least u know..hs80m is deep at 50hz...
Old 2nd December 2012
Gear Head
This may be an amateur question, but looking at the frequency graph for the hs80m's, if you were to take a stereo graphic eq and kind of tailor those freq's up and down, in theory could that help "flatten" the monitors, sort of like what is done in live with the mains?

It seems a little stupid to suggest, I'm just wondering if the same concept would apply, and if so, why it doesnt seem to be more practiced?
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

I have HS80's and Event 20/20BAS monitors and find that I use the Yamaha monitors almost exclusively.

I auditioned A7's and every other monitor in the room at GC and ended up buying the HS80's because they sounded the best with the music I brought for reference.

They translate better than my Events..much better.
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear Maniac

Love my Yamahas but took a bit of fiddling with the rear controls to get the mixes to translate well. Then again, that's one of the reasons I bought these. Loud, pretty darn accurate, and adjustable.
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyers93 View Post
This may be an amateur question, but looking at the frequency graph for the hs80m's, if you were to take a stereo graphic eq and kind of tailor those freq's up and down, in theory could that help "flatten" the monitors, sort of like what is done in live with the mains?

It seems a little stupid to suggest, I'm just wondering if the same concept would apply, and if so, why it doesnt seem to be more practiced?
I use room correction with mine, that's pretty common with studio monitors. You could use a parametric eq to notch out certain frequencies, i've done it with hi fi speakers to smooth out the response.
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZsound View Post
I have HS80's and Event 20/20BAS monitors and find that I use the Yamaha monitors almost exclusively.

I auditioned A7's and every other monitor in the room at GC and ended up buying the HS80's because they sounded the best with the music I brought for reference.

They translate better than my Events..much better.
The new 20/20s? I had some TR8s, they were my first monitors but mixes translated really well before i even began to learn about translation and room acoustics.

Oh yeah, they are the ones i picked after listening to quite a few monitors last year. Very clear sound but there is a slight artificial sheen to them which gives them that harshness in the upper mids. I did the limiter bypass recently and that has opened up the low end but i'm using them with a sub now so i sealed the ports. Am thinking about trying to improve them further by replacing the caps and op-amps...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search