The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Vocal Mic for a mid range female
Old 2nd April 2012
Here for the gear

Vocal Mic for a mid range female

I need a better microphone for recording my vocals. I'm a folk/ acoustic style singer songwriter. Mid range, with a touch of sibilance.

Here is what I sound like:

Halley Rachal's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I'm currently using an Apogee ONE internal mic, and I want to step up to something better. I want a mic that I can just plug in to my apogee ONE XLR Input. Any mic suggestions under $600?

Thank you! I APPRECIATE YOUR HELP SO MUCH!
Old 2nd April 2012
Lives for gear

With that budget, you have many choices. Take your time, continue to seek opinions, but most of all see if you can demo, borrow, or even rent a few to try out for yourself. Ideally, you will find a mic that suits your voice, and will make you happy for many years to come.
I'd certainly look at Neumann 104 and 105, a bit "airy" but not too sibilant, and excellent sounding mics. I'm unfamiliar with your interface, the Neumanns require phantom power, as do many high-quality vocal mics.
Sennheiser also makes some great vocal mics, from the venerable 441 ("Stevie Nicks" mic) which is expensive but can be found used, up to their modern 800 and 900 series.
Those could all be contenders, but you should try to demo a few and see for yourself. My 2c, HTH.
Old 3rd April 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Wink

Very pretty voice!

Other vocal mics to seriously consider on your shortlist IMHO;

1) Studio Projects CS series (excellent neutral-ish LDC ala AT4050)
2) Electro-Voice EV 635a (occasionally used at Motown for Lead/BGV's FWIW)
3) Blue Baby Bottle (relatively the "darkest" toned of these 3)
4) Electro-Voice RE15 (out of current production-can you tell I'm a huge fan of EV mics)

Chris

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search