The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Please help this idiot with his monitor choice/ignorance
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Maniac

Please help this idiot with his monitor choice/ignorance

after reading and reading about monitor soundi came to the conclusion i will probably ns-10ms on ebay. i can't go to guitar center to listen to monitors, seeing as our guitar center has rude, smug and unhelpful employees, they don't carry many monitors, and i can't test the ns-10ms.

i was afraid to ask this, but eh:
1)the NS-10 are passive, right?
2)is so, whats the best poweramp for it for the price (very tight budget)
3)when it all comes, am i going to have a big problem connecting it all? i read about how you can't plug it into AC power and you need to match polarity or something (HERE)

i know this is all common knowledge here, but i was never taught monitoring. i searched the best i could fort he answers, but honestly, i didnt really know what to search for to get a result that would answer my questions. please dont bash me too hard.
Old 22nd May 2006
Jai guru deva om

That article you linked...you read the first sentence of it I'm guessing...and it was kind of just chatty intro type of stuff that somebody wrote to be clever and interesting.

The NS-10M's also can't be heard at GC because they haven't been produced for quite some time. eBay is going to be about your only bet.

A pair of NS-10M paired with a low budget amp will probably net you a lot less useable sound than buying an inexpensive pair of powered monitors and forgetting about it. Once you plug them in, you won't even have to understand what polarity is concerning their hookup anyhow...

Entering recording with a pair of NS-10M in my opinion is not a good idea. The guys who use them are used to them, and guys who travel like them because many studios have them. Other than that, they're not exactly an ideal reference in my opinion.

Best of luck with it.

War
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Maniac

thanks. yea i read the intro of it and skimmed through the rest. kinda seemed pretty confusing. like i said, monitors are new to me, seeing as i have been working on crap computer speakers and AKG k271s. i have herd many many good things about the NS-10ms, and i figured that for $400-$600 a pair on ebay, not too bad at all. then i found out about the power amos and what not. i knew it wasn't going to be THAT easy. i have been looking around on the board for a while about monitors, and im still kind of stumped. i just figured i would go with the ns-10ms, seeing as how they were given the thumbs up by almsot everyone
Old 22nd May 2006
Deleted User
The only way that I like ns-10s, are face to face, sitting behind the console. Kind of sounds like a car.

What kind of music are you going to be monitoring? R&R, Blues, Classical.... Electronic? It makes a big difference.

Also, what kind of volume levels are you looking for?
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrokz
after reading and reading about monitor soundi came to the conclusion i will probably ns-10ms on ebay. i can't go to guitar center to listen to monitors, seeing as our guitar center has rude, smug and unhelpful employees, they don't carry many monitors, and i can't test the ns-10ms.

i was afraid to ask this, but eh:
1)the NS-10 are passive, right?
2)is so, whats the best poweramp for it for the price (very tight budget)
3)when it all comes, am i going to have a big problem connecting it all? i read about how you can't plug it into AC power and you need to match polarity or something (HERE)

i know this is all common knowledge here, but i was never taught monitoring. i searched the best i could fort he answers, but honestly, i didnt really know what to search for to get a result that would answer my questions. please dont bash me too hard.
Also check out Genelec 1031A. I have read great things about these monitors... But I'm sure the NS-10 are really good too...
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Maniac

i would say mostly acoustic, rock, hard rock, hardcore, and metal. i would LOVE to get into blues, jazz, R&B, rap, and all that as well, but chances are i will be stuck with acoustic, and everything between rock and metal. a sad truth. i would also like something that somewhat varies from my K271s. it would be silly to have monitors that sound exactly the same as my cans. i had a year to use the Mackie hR824s in my school's studio, and while they did make everything sound amazing, the mixes turned out like garbage. they all sounded so good, a raw mix would sound great. very misleading.
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

popular choice for amps 'round here are Brystons.

in a pinch: Crown, Hafler, Alesis (RA-100 sounds better than 150's... imo).

FWIW, i have 2 pairs. one driven by Bryston 2B's, the other by Yamaha A100a. A100a are originally made by Yamaha, specifically designed for NS10s. i love'em to death.

but other posts here have a point. NS10 would NOT be a good choice for first monitors. good for balancing mids, hearing compression and 'verb levels... that's about it. you gotta look for a full-range monitor...
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

I have never shopped for pro audio gear in the New York area, so I can't offer specifics, but I'm sure there must be several reputable pro audio dealers around your area. GC isn't the only option. Check out the others.

DP
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

so after an hour of monitor testing (unfortunitly without my reference cd), i have come to the conclusion that the Blue Sky 2.1 setup is amazing. i tried the bx5a's aloing with many many others, and for $500 ($300 after my discount) i get;
2 powered monitors
an awesome sub
a company that is based about 7 miles from me

compared to al lthe other monitors, for that price, the sound is great. crisp yet smooth top end, nice deep low end, and a great mid. monitors are a bit small, but thats ok. i dont plan on pushing them that hard. what do you think?
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrokz
i would say mostly acoustic, rock, hard rock, hardcore, and metal. i would LOVE to get into blues, jazz, R&B, rap, and all that as well, but chances are i will be stuck with acoustic, and everything between rock and metal. a sad truth. i would also like something that somewhat varies from my K271s. it would be silly to have monitors that sound exactly the same as my cans. i had a year to use the Mackie hR824s in my school's studio, and while they did make everything sound amazing, the mixes turned out like garbage. they all sounded so good, a raw mix would sound great. very misleading.
Hmm... I strongly recommend smooth jazz by the way...!

I have Mackie HR824s in my studio, they sound great! But I do have SOME problems with these, but it's probably more due to my control room acoustics. If I would buy a set of speakers today I would go with the Genelec 1031A, since they behave a little like radio speakers. I think the best is though to have at least one other pair of monitors as a reference set when you are mixing. I have that, though not the best complement set... Different speakers reveil different things at different volume levels and in mono, I try to take advantage of that while I'm mixing. I would like to have the following setup:

Genelec 1031A
Yamaha NS-10

I think they would make a great pair. Currently I'm just trying to learn how the Mackie HR824's work, I think I have found the right volume sweet spot on these now. In the past I have had a lot of problems with these, but when I recently tweaked them and changed my desk position a little it has become somewhat better. My biggest problem with these is with the stereo image, I have a really hard time noticing when the stereo image becomes too wide. Luckily I have a pair of JUSTer consumer PC speakers, when it sounds good in these speakers I've realised it sounds good everywhere. I think I will also start mixing with them...!

I have not heard the Sky 2.1 so I can't comment much about them, but I think smaller speakers can be good as a reference set.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm
I think I have found the right volume sweet spot on these now.
try not to rely on one volume setting.. know your speakers inside out, listen to how they behave at different volume points. reference that.. your translation might improve a bit.

(yes, i'm aware this can open up a can of worms)
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

i just realized that with that sub, its going to mess up the bass translation. i can have a real kickin bass sound thats smooth and beautiful, but when i throw it in my car (no sub), play it through my speakers or even my headphones, the bass is going to be dead. im afraid that the sub is going to give me a false impression on the bass. i can't not use it though, because im sure those speakers wouldnt translate bass very well on their own. does this happen? i know almsot all studios have subs, so is it jsut a matter of knowing how much bass is produced, then compensating for it by addidng MORE bass to my mix?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search